I love blueberries but only in smoothies and desserts, like in my Lemon Blueberry Cake … I’m not sure why I just can’t munch on blueberries as a snack like I do with grapes, strawberries, or cherries! Are you like me?
My Lemon Blueberry Buttermilk Cake is something you can never have enough of, and no, I’m not bragging about it because I made it but because the combination is just too heavenly. I mean how can one resist the smell of freshness brought by the lemon zest and the jelly like consistency presented by the blueberries, and let’s not forget the moist and light texture of this cake which was a contribution of the buttermilk.
Lemon Blueberry Buttermilk Cake
Serves12. 115 calories per slice.
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons all purpose flour (keep 1 tablespoon aside to mix with blueberries later)
Pinch of salt
2 teaspoon baking powder
5 Tablespoons butter (at room temp)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tablespoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 whole egg
1 egg white
1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
1/2 cup blueberry
– Preheat oven to 350F/ 180C.
– In medium bowl, sift together flour, salt, and baking powder. Keep aside.
– In another bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy and light in color.
– To the butter mixture, add vanilla and egg, beat until combined. Add egg white beat for two minutes. Add buttermilk and lemon zest while beating, beat for 2 minutes on high speed.
– Mix 1 tablespoon of flour with blueberries, keep aside.
– Add flour to the butter and egg mixture. Beat on lowest speed, no more than 10 seconds.
– Add the blueberries and fold gently, do not over mix.
– Pour cake batter in 8″x4.5″ nonstick or lightly greased baking pan.
– Place on one rack above middle in the oven. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
– Let cool on cooling rack.