Focaccia bread is one of the Italian bread I ask for when at a restaurant, a little crispy from the outside with tender and fluffy texture from the inside, it tastes awesome with shredded parmesan and olive oil. You can add bacon, caramelized onion, or cheese to focaccia bread but today we will make a simple version with rosemary. Watch the video tutorial below!
What is Focaccia?
Focaccia is a flat Italian bread, the dough is similar to pizza dough and is also called (Pizza Bianca ) which means white pizza, but it has a generous amount of olive oil. It is crispy from the outside and can be a side dish dipped in oil mixed with balsamic vinegar or can be a sandwich bread.
Ingredients for Focaccia Bread
All-purpose flour - In this recipe, I have only used all-purpose flour, but some mix between all-purpose and bread flour.
Active dry yeast - You can use any yeast used for baking in this recipe, keep in mind some yeasts need proofing.
Olive oil - Do not use the light version.
How to make focaccia bread?
Focaccia bread is crispy from the outside and soft from the inside. One of the easiest bread to make and is ridiculously delicious. If you love focaccia bread, you will enjoy my Soft Garlic Knots with Parmesan.
- To make crispy and mouth-watering focaccia bread, you will need, all-purpose flour, salt, yeast (I have used fast active yeast), water, sugar, and olive oil.
- I like to make sure that the yeast is still alive and kicking. So, in a small bowl, I add the water, sugar, and yeast, mix the ingredients all up, and cover the bowl. I keep the bowl in a warm place for ten minutes and then later check if there is a froth or thick foam, that’s an indication that the yeast is good, and the dough will rise.
- In a different bowl, I add the flour and salt and gradually add the wet ingredients. Kneading the dough until it’s smooth for around five minutes or six and then add the oil and knead for two more minutes.
- The dough should be smooth and not stick to your hand. Cover the dough until it doubles in size, and that takes an hour and a half to two hours.
How to bake the perfect Focaccia bread?
To bake good bread, you must bring the oven to the right temperature. In today’s recipe, you have to preheat the oven to 374F/190C. If your oven doesn’t prompt you when it reaches the desired temperature, then use the oven after fifteen minutes of turning it on, that’s usually a good time for an oven to preheat.
Now that the dough has risen, you have two options, either spread the dough to a quarter of an inch high to get crispy focaccia or to half an inch to get a crispy layer from the outside with tender crumbs inside.
Cover and let the dough rise again for 30 minutes. Use your fingers to dimple the dough. drizzle the dough with olive oil and sprinkle it with flake sea salt and dry or fresh rosemary.
Bake the focaccia for 12 to 13 minutes or until golden brown in color. While warm brush with more olive oil if you wish and then serve.
How to store focaccia bread?
Wrap the focaccia bread in plastic wrap and then with aluminum foil and place it in the fridge for two days. You can also place the wrapped focaccia in the freezer for a month.
When using frozen focaccia, it is best to allow it to come to room temperature and then heat it in the oven for a few minutes.
How to serve homemade focaccia bread?
- You can toast the slices of focaccia bread and use it to enjoy your favorite dips.
- Cut the focaccia into cubes and toast it to use in salads.
- Focaccia is perfect when served with stews and soups.
- Add pizza toppings over the focaccia bread and bake for a few. Or use the dough as a pizza dough in your pizza recipes.
- This bread makes a great sandwich bread, make a delicious sandwich with a mixture of cheese and cold cut meat tastes great.
- In olive oil saute red onion with bell peppers and chives and serve it with slices of focaccia bread at parties.
Focaccia recipe variations
- Before baking the focaccia bread, distribute slices of olives over the dough.
- Sprinkle the top of the dough with chopped fresh herbs or dried herbs before baking it.
- Distribute cherry tomatoes that were cut in halves on the dough and then sprinkle parmesan cheese on top and then bake.
- A mixture of kosher salt and black pepper sprinkled over the dough brings out the amazing flavor.
- A popular variation is the rosemary focaccia bread.
More bread recipes you will like
Homemade Easy Focaccia Bread Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon active dry yeast
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup warm water you may need less
- Flake sea salt
- 1 tablespoon rosemary fresh or dry
- 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil
- In a small bowl, add the water, sugar, and yeast, stir well, and then cover for ten minutes. After ten minutes if the mixture formed a froth then go ahead with the next step. If you are using instant active yeast you don't need to let it proof.
- In a different bowl, add the flour and the salt, then gradually add the yeast mixture and knead.
- Knead for 5 minutes, when the dough is smooth and not sticky, add the olive oil and knead for three more minutes. Cover the dough and let it rise in a warm place for an hour and a half or until it is double in size. You can also use a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment.
- Punch the dough and knead for 1 minute.
- Pat or roll the dough into a triangle, round, or square shape, place it on a lightly greased baking sheet. Make the dough a quarter of an inch high if you want crispy focaccia, or make it ½ an inch high for thicker focaccia bread.
- Cover the dough and let it rise again for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 374F/190C.
- Using your fingertips make a few dimples on the surface of the dough.
- Brush the dough with olive oil. Sprinkle with flake sea salt and rosemary.
- Bake the focaccia bread for 12 to 13 minutes on the middle rack, until it is golden in color and has reached your desired crispness. If you want the focaccia to be thick and fluffy, bake in a 6" or 7-inch pan.
- You can use olive oil infused with garlic to give this focaccia bread recipe more flavor.
- A great snack can be made using focaccia by toasting it and spreading roasted garlic and parmesan on top. You can prepare the dough a night ahead.
- Place the dough in a large container and cover tightly then refrigerate.
- The dough will rise slowly while in the fridge.
- When about to bake the dough, take it out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature first.
- Knead the dough for a minute, and it will be ready for the next rise.
- In the recipe video, I have added the salt at the end of the kneading process, but you can mix it with flour as per the written recipe.
- Double or triple the recipe and use a sheet pan for baking it.
- You can use parchment paper to make the cleaning easy.