I'm so excited to share this Apple Almond Cake with you today. I wish I was the one who invented this moist, buttery, rich-in-flavor, gorgeous cake; too bad I can't take the credit for it! However, since you are here, you are in for a great-tasting dessert that's so easy to make; plus, there are tips to make it perfect each time.
Apple almond cake is a dessert that makes you look good when you serve them at parties and gatherings. Such a good-looking cake with great texture and unforgettable flavor.
I won’t mention how fast the cake disappeared in my house because that would be embarrassing! I am almost certain that this cake was created to please a royal family; something is very sophisticated about it.
I hope I tempted you enough to make you want to make this Apple Almond Cake. I’ve made minor changes to the original recipe to make this cake fluffy and moist.
❤️ WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
There are many reasons to love this cake recipe, so let me mention a few.
One: This cake is so moist.
Two: It’s buttery and rich.
Three: The toasted almonds made the Apple Almond Cake look good and gave it a hint of nutty flavor and a light crunch.
Four: This cake looks elegant.
Five: Apple Almond Cake's sweetness is perfectly balanced.
Six: It made my kitchen smell sooooo good.
Flour - I have used all-purpose flour, but you can also go for cake flour.
Eggs - Use large eggs at room temperature.
Butter - Unsalted and melted butter is perfect for this cake.
Sugar - We won't use much sugar in the batter; the sweetness is balanced. However, you can sprinkle powdered sugar on the cake after it cools.
Milk - Please use regular whole milk other plant-based milk won't give the same result.
Apple slices - Use honey crisp or firm type that can maintain its shape in the heat.
Almond - It's best to use toasted almonds, but thin almond slices will toast while the cake is baking.
🔪 HOW TO MAKE
Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Line a 9” cake pan with parchment paper or grease and dust it.
Add all the dry ingredients – except almonds - to a medium bowl and whisk well.
In another bowl, add all the wet ingredients and beat well.
Add the dry to the wet ingredients and mix gently until combined. Do not overdo this step; the cake will come out dry and dense.
Pour the batter into the baking pan. Place the apple slices gently on top. Add the almonds between each apple slice and the middle of the cake.
Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake.
Remove the cake from the oven. Keep the cake in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan and let it cool completely on a cooling rack.
👩🏽🍳 PRO TIPS
- Always preheat the oven 30 minutes before baking any pastry unless the recipe says otherwise.
- The ingredients should be at room temperature. It helps the batter comes together better and the cake bakes evenly.
- Do not open the oven door until at least 10 minutes from the baking time have passed.
- For best results, use a springform pan. This way, you don't have to flip the cake when cooling it.
- Try to go for unsalted butter for this apple cake recipe since there is less sugar than regular cakes.
- Use honey crisp or Granny Smith apples. They hold their shape better while baking.
🍽️ HOW TO SERVE IT
- After dusting it with the confectioner's sugar, you can serve this beautiful cake with coffee or tea.
- Topping it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream while warm is another way to enjoy this cake.
- Add a dollop of whipped cream with some slices of fruit.
Other nuts - You can replace the almonds with your favorite nuts, hazelnuts, pistachios, or walnuts.
Add lemon or orange zest - Instead of vanilla, use lemon zest in the batter.
Make it gluten-free - Instead of regular all-purpose flour, you can go for gluten-free all-purpose flour.
Spice it up a little - Half a teaspoon to a teaspoon of cinnamon; the batter will add a festive flavor to the cake.
To store the leftovers, cut the cake into slices and wrap each individually, then place them in an airtight container or a Ziplock bag and refrigerate for up to a week or freeze for up to 3 months.
📣 MORE DESSERT RECIPES YOU'LL LOVE
Apple Almond Cake
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup melted unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk
- 1 peeled and sliced apple to place on top of the batter
- ⅓ cup almond flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
- Line a 9” spring form pan with parchment paper or grease and dust the pan, and keep it aside.
- Add all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl – except the almonds and whisk well.
- In another bowl, add all the wet ingredients and beat well.
- Add the dry to wet mixture and mix gently until combined. Do not overdo this step; the cake will come out dry and dense.
- Pour the cake batter into the baking pan, then place the apple slices gently on top. Add the almond flakes between each apple slice and in the middle of the cake.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake.
- Remove the cake from the oven. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan and let it cool completely on a cooling rack.
- You can make this cake using a stand mixer. However, a hand mixer will do.
- Make sure all the ingredients are at room temperature.
- To prevent the apples from turning brown, squeeze a little lemon juice on them.
- The oven should be preheated 30 minutes before using it to help the cake bake evenly.
- This post was published in 2016 and is updated with more information and tips.
- The recipe I’m sharing today is inspired by this video.