Pepper Steak is tender and juicy steak slices mixed with peppers and lots of onion in a flavorful sauce. Please watch the video tutorial to help you make this amazing dinner.
We more than often have pepper steak for dinner, and I’ll show you how to make it an unforgettable meal. You will surely enjoy this pepper steak recipe more than the takeout you order from your local Chinese restaurant.
This dish can be served with noodles but mostly served with rice; therefore, it is called pepper steak and rice at some restaurants.
❤️ WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
Easy to make: It's perfect for busy weeknights or when you’re short on time. It requires only a few basic ingredients and takes less than 30 minutes to prepare.
Versatile: This recipe can be customized to suit your taste preferences. You can adjust the amount of pepper, soy sauce, and other seasonings to make it spicier or milder. You can also add vegetables like broccoli or carrots to make it a more wholesome meal.
Delicious: This Pepper Steak recipe is packed with flavor and tastes delicious. The tender beef strips are infused with the bold flavors of garlic, ginger, and soy sauce, and the black pepper adds a spicy kick that is simply irresistible.
Healthy: This recipe is a healthier alternative to takeout Pepper Steak, using lean beef and fresh ingredients. It is also low in calories and high in protein.
Chuck steak: You’ll be needing some chuck steak to make this recipe. It will provide a rich, beefy flavor and a tender texture.
Onion: We’ll also need a large onion to add some sweetness and depth of flavor to the dish. It will caramelize and add a savory element.
Green and red bell pepper: Bell pepper will add a fresh, slightly sweet flavor. It will also add some crunch and color.
Black pepper: Black pepper adds some heat and depth of flavor to the dish.
Boiling Water: Boiling water will help cook the steak and vegetables. It will help to create a flavorful broth and cook the ingredients evenly.
Oil: Oil will help cook the steak and vegetables and prevent them from sticking to the pan. It will also add some richness and depth of flavor to the dish.
Soy sauce: Soy sauce will add some umami flavor to the dish. It will also provide some saltiness and depth of flavor.
Cornstarch: Cornstarch thickens the sauce and makes it more velvety and rich.
Sugar: Sugar is to balance the saltiness and add some sweetness to the sauce. It will also help to caramelize the sauce.
Onion, garlic, and ginger powder: These spices will add savory flavor to the sauce.
🥄 HOW TO MAKE IT
Everyone looks for tender meat, peppers with a slight crunch, and flavorful sauce in a pepper steak stir fry. The cooking time might be a little longer in the pepper steak recipe I’m sharing today, but the outcome is a fantastic dinner. It is also safer to store because the meat is thoroughly cooked.
In a frying pan, add the oil, and when hot, fry the steaks in batches. Make sure to brown both sides of the steak slices, and cook on high heat.
Remove the meat after browning and cover it with foil properly; this step will allow it to rest and continue cooking using the heat in the juices captured inside it.
In the same pan, add the onion and fry on high until translucent. Remove from the pan and keep aside.
Fry the bell peppers for a few seconds and remove from the pan and keep aside.
Return the meat to the pan and season with salt and black pepper. Stir for a minute and then add the boiling water and cook for 45 minutes until the meat is tender.
Now add the onion and bell pepper and stir for a minute.
Mix the sauce ingredients and pour over the Steak. Stir the mixture until the sauce thickens.
I cook the steak for 45 minutes to make sure f two things:
- The meat is tender and thoroughly cooked.
- If I store it in the fridge or freezer, I know it’s safe to reheat it.
If you want a faster version of cooking the meat, then do the following:
- In a frying pan, add oil, keep the heat on high.
- Add the meat, don’t crowd the pan with the meat.
- Do not touch the meat at all for 1 minute. Flip the meat and cook for another minute on the other side. Remove from heat and cover for 10 minutes, and then follow the recipe skipping the step where you add water to cook the meat for 45 minutes.
👩🏽🍳 PRO TIPS
Sear the steak: To create a flavorful crust on the steak, sear it in a hot pan for a few minutes on each side before cooking it through. This will also help to lock in the juices and keep the meat tender.
Cut the vegetables evenly: To ensure that they cook evenly, cut them into similar sizes and shapes. This will also make for a more visually appealing dish.
Rest the steak: After cooking it, let it rest for a few minutes before cutting it. This will allow the juices to redistribute, making for juicier and more tender meat.
Serve with rice or noodles: This dish is traditionally served with steamed rice or noodles, which will soak up the flavorful sauce and complement the savory flavors of the steak and vegetables.
Garnish with green onions: For a pop of color and freshness, sprinkle chopped green onions over the top of the dish before serving. This will also add a subtle onion flavor to the dish.
Pepper Steak is a Chinese American dish that was adapted along the way.
Pepper Steak has a little salty flavor from the soy sauce, a slightly sweet flavor from the sugar, and an incredible blend of flavors from the garlic, ginger, and onion powder.
I love using Chuck Steak for Pepper Steak, but there are many other options you can go with. Another great option is flank steak.
You can also use tenderloin, top sirloin steak, skirt steak, top round steak, or ribeye steak.
Pepper Steak isn’t too spicy. When you hear about Pepper Steak, the obvious assumption is that the ‘pepper’ part refers to black pepper, but that’s not the case! It actually refers to the green and red bell peppers that give this dish incredible color and flavor.
🍽️ HOW TO SERVE IT
- Serve the pepper steak over a bed of fluffy white rice for a classic and satisfying meal.
- For a healthy and colorful plate, pair the dish with some stir-fried vegetables, such as broccoli, bell peppers, and snap peas.
- For a heartier option, serve the pepper steak on mashed potatoes or roasted sweet potatoes.
- Add some Asian-inspired flair by serving the pepper steak with steamed dumplings or egg rolls.
- For a lighter option, serve the pepper steak over a fresh arugula or spinach salad with a light vinaigrette dressing.
👪 SERVING SIZE
You can serve this dish to three people, with some mashed potatoes or steamed vegetables on the side.
This Pepper Steak recipe is all you can dream of, but here are a few ways you can change up the flavor and make this recipe your own:
- Add sweet heat to this dish by adding some sweet chili sauce.
- Make it hot and spicy by adding some homemade Schezwan Sauce or red pepper flakes.
- Make it sweeter by adding more sugar to the recipe.
- Add herbs such as Thai basil or cilantro to make it refreshing.
- Add a crunch by adding nuts such as peanuts or water chestnuts.
- Make it tropical by adding mangoes, pineapple, or Mandarin oranges.
The pepper steak leftover can last up to 4 days in the fridge if stored in an airtight container. Reheat by microwaving or heating it on the stovetop in a pan.
You can freeze the leftover after putting it in an airtight container for 3 months. Thaw the pepper steak in the fridge for 6 to 7 hours and then heat it in the microwave or stovetop.
Note: Although you can freeze the pepper steak, remember that the bell peppers will come out a little mushy!
📣 MORE DINNER RECIPES YOU'LL LOVE
Pepper Steak with Onions
- 1 lbs chuck steak cut into medium slices
- 1 large onion cut into medium strips
- ½ green bell pepper cut into medium strips
- ½ red bell pepper cut into medium strips
- 1 leveled teaspoon black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 2 cup Boiling water
- 3 tablespoon oil
FOR THE SAUCE
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce I used low sodium
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ cup warm water
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ginger powder you can use fresh
- In a pan, add three tablespoon oil and fry the chuck in two batches until brown on both sides. Remove and keep aside. Don't crowd the pan when browning.
- In the same oil fry the onion until translucent. Remove and keep aside.
- In the same pan, fry the bell peppers for few seconds and keep aside.
- Add the fried chuck back to the pan, Season the chuck with salt and black pepper. Add two cups boiling water and let it cook on medium heat for 45 minutes or until the meat is tender. Add water if the meat is still tough and continue cooking.
- When the meat is cooked add the onion and bell pepper.
- Mix the sauce ingredients and pour over the steak, stir until the sauce thickens.
- Serve hot.
- You can use other cuts of meat, like T-Bone, Rib Eye, and Tenderloin.
- You can add more vegetables to the pepper steak, like mushrooms, carrots, and zucchini.
- This post was originally posted in 2017, updated in November 2020, and again in March 2022.