This is a basic Old Fashioned Beef Stew, hearty and comforting. It shouldn’t hurt your budget but will for sure make you want to make it again. Tender and juicy beef in a creamy thick gravy, what more can one ask for? This stew will taste even better the next day.
Any Beef Cut Can do!
I have used chuck steak but it is not a must, the cooking time is long enough to make any cut fork tender. You can also add more vegetables like mushrooms and potatoes. I have served this stew over mashed potatoes, therefore, I didn’t add any in the stew.
Making Old Fashioned Beef Stew.
The thick yet creamy stew is best served with bread or mashed potatoes. Although the cooking time is long you don’t have to be in the kitchen all that time. What you should do is to check on the stew every few minutes in case more water need to be added.
It is Summer but this stew can be served and enjoyed in any season. If you ever make this recipe, do let me know how you liked it in the comment box below.
Let’s make some beef stew together!
- 1 ½ cup chuck cut in cubes
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 clove garlic minced
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 leveled teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ + ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 cups water
- Dredge beef cubes in flour and keep aside.
- In a pan, add oil and brown the beef on both sides. Remove and keep aside.
- In the previous pan and using the remaining oil, add the onion and carrot cook until onion is translucent.
- Add the beef, garlic, all the spices, and stir for two minutes. Add the water and cook until the beef is tender and the stew is thick. If the stew looks dry add more hot water.
You like Old fashioned beef stew recipe? Please follow me on Pinterest for more!