Exceptional Orange Cake with streusel in the middle of the cake and on its top! The crumb is beautifully tender and moist, and this cake has a great orange flavor coming from the orange juice and zest added to the batter. Topped with mouthwatering streusel, easy and foolproof cake recipe that keeps well for 5 days and a great companion to coffee. If you like orange cake, then you must try my “Best Orange Cake Ever”. Watch my video and learn how to make this cake.
Orange Cake Topped with Streusel
Making this orange cake will result in a beautiful and moist cake, not a doughy texture but the type that melts in your mouth. The streusel is evenly spread in the middle of the cake batter and on top of the cake. The orange flavor is balanced, and you can enjoy this cake with a chilled glass of milk or a hot cup of coffee.
You need simple ingredients like, egg, milk, sugar, flour, yogurt, and butter to make this cake. Orange cake with streusel can prepared within few minutes and it stores well for days!
What you need to make this Orange cake
All-purpose flour. We will use the flour in the batter and in making the streusel.
Orange juice and zest go in the batter.
Brown and white sugar for the batter and the streusel.
Salt, vanilla, baking powder, and baking soda.
How to make a moist orange cake with streusel
To make the streusel, in a bowl add the melted butter, and both white and brown sugar, along with salt and mix well.
Later add the flour and the almonds and mix well. You should get a wet sand like texture.
To make the batter, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, doing so will make the cake crumb lighter.
In a different bowl, beat the wet ingredients. First, beat the butter with sugar until combined. Add the egg and beat until creamy in texture.
Add the vanilla, orange zest, and orange juice and mix well. The mixture will curdle but that’s fine the batter will come together after adding the flour.
Add the plain yogurt and beat for one minute, then add the flour. After adding the flour try not to overmix the batter.
Pour half the batter in a baking pan and top it with half the streusel, then pour the rest of the batter over the streusel and top that half with the rest of the streusel. You don’t have to use all that is left from the streusel to cover the cake batter.
Bake the cake and when a skewer inserted in the middle come out clean, take out the cake from the oven and place it on a cooling rack.
How to store the orange cake with streusel?
- You can refrigerate it by wrapping it with a plastic wrap and then place it in a plastic container or in an airtight container. It can last for up to 7 days.
- Freeze the cake by cutting it into slices and then wrap each slice with plastic wrap. Place the wrapped slices in a plastic container and place it in the freezer and it will last for two months.
- To thaw the frozen cake, place the wrapped slice in the fridge to thaw overnight, or place the wrapped cake slice on the kitchen counter and allow it to thaw while wrapped.
More Cake Recipes to Enjoy:
Orange cake with Streusel
FOR THE ORANGE CAKE
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup melted unsalted butter
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- Zest of one orange
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup unsalted and melted butter
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup chopped or sliced almonds or a combination of both
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Butter or line with parchment paper a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan and set aside.
MAKING THE STREUSEL TOPPING
- In a bowl, add the melted unsalted butter.
- To the butter, add the white, brown sugar, and salt. Mix the ingredients until smooth.
- Add the flour and mix well, then add the almonds. You should get a wet sand like mixture.
MAKING THE ORANGE CAKE BATTER
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Keep aside.
- In a bowl, add the soft or melted butter. Add the sugar and mix until combined.
- Add the egg and beat for two minutes.
- Add the vanilla, orange zest and orange juice to the previous mixture and beat well. The mixture will curdle but that’s alright.
- Add the yogurt and beat for one minute. Add half the flour and mix well, then add the other half and mix for a few seconds. The batter will look smooth now.
- Pour half the batter in the previously prepared baking pan. Sprinkle half the streusel.
- Pour the rest of the cake batter over the crumb. Sprinkle remaining crumb on the cake. You don’t have to use all the prepared streusel!
- Bake the cake for 50 minutes but depending on your oven it might take longer or lesser time to bake.
- When you insert a skewer in the middle of the cake, and it comes out clean then your cake is ready.
- Place the cake while in the baking pan on a cooling rack. After 9 minutes remove the cake from the pan and place on the cooling rack to cool completely.
- Use plain and unsweetened yogurt.
- Do not overbeat the batter after adding flour. It’s best to use the ingredients when at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven 15 to 20 minutes before using it.
- If the top of the cake is browning quickly, you can light cover it with aluminum foil to prevent it from getting darker and will help the cake bake evenly.
- Taste the orange before using it in this recipe. At times the orange looks good but tastes bitter. Bitter orange will ruin the flavor of the cake.
- You can omit the nuts in the streusel or use the nuts you like instead of almonds.
This page may contain affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you.