Are you ready for Winter? I am. Creamy Spinach Lentils the perfect dish to keep you warm and satisfied. It’s delicious, has a creamy texture (hence the title.), is budget friendly, and vegan.
Making creamy spinach lentils is not time-consuming at all, especially if have a pressure cooker. If you have a pressure cooker you are most likely a very happy girl. To make this dish you have to add the spinach (I used frozen.) both lentils, water, and turmeric in a pressure cooker on medium high. Wait for the first whistle and immediately turn off the stove. Don’t open the pressure cooker until the whole steam is released.
In another pan, all you have to do is fry few spices with onion, then add the spinach and lentils mixture, cook for five minutes, and you are done.
Now it’s time to enjoy a creamy, warm, and earthy dish, that will bring you comfort and satisfaction, well, at least this is what I experience …
More on Creamy Spinach Lentils.
Make one day of the week a vegan day, fill your body with amazing nutrient from fruits and vegetables, and treat yourself with a big bowl of creamy spinach lentils.
Follow this recipe and I promise that you will have a mind-blowing dish!
- ½ cup urad dal soak in hot water for 30 minutes if you are not using pressure cooker.
- ½ cup masoor dal
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder divided
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 large finely chopped onion
- 1 ¼ cup water 3 cups to 4 if not using a pressure cooker.
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- ***If not using pressure cooker to cook the lentils:
- In a pan, add both lentils, spinach, 3 cups water, ½ teaspoon turmeric, ½ teaspoon salt. Let it come to a boil then reduce the heat and allow it to simmer until the urad dal is tender, this may take 30 minutes.
- ***If pressure cooker is used to cook the lentils:
- In the pressure cooker, add both dals, spinach, 1 ¼ cup water, ½ teaspoon turmeric, ½ teaspoon salt. Shut the pressure cooker and place on medium high flame. When you hear the first whistle, turn off the heat and leave the pressure cooker to release all the steam. Do not open the pressure cooker while there is steam in it, you can find out if all the steam is released by pulling the pressure regulator.
- *** Making the creamy spinach lentils:
- In a pan, add the olive oil, when hot add the onion and fry until light brown. Add the cumin seed, garlic, and ginger and stir one medium heat for a minute.
- Add the rest of spices and stir for two minutes on medium heat. Now add the previously cooked dal and stir until well combined.
- Add ½ cup water and let the dal cook on medium heat for 5 minutes. At this point, you can decide how thick or thin you want your dal to be.
- Keep checking and stirring the dal within those 5 minutes to prevent the dal from burning.
- Serve the creamy spinach lentils with any bread you like or rice.
Follow my Pinterest board for more recipes.