This easy Vanilla Wafers recipe will give you the most delicious melt-in-your-mouth crispy yet light vanilla cookies! It has classic flavors and will give you even better cookies than store-bought Nilla Wafers!
Vanilla wafers are versatile little cookies that are perfect to enjoy on their own or in a delicious banana pudding for a classic combination! Yet they're quick and easy to make and also freeze well, so you can have them ready on hand whenever you're in the mood for a light treat.
It's also the perfect recipe for first-time bakers to try making at home! You will love this recipe with step-by-step instructions and many ways to use this delicious treat.
🥘 INGREDIENTS YOU'LL NEED
This recipe is quick and easy to make, thanks to its pantry-staple ingredients.
You can scroll down to the recipe card for further details and instructions.
All-purpose flour: To give our wafers some structure.
Vanilla extract: The flavor in the wafers comes primarily from the vanilla, so try to get some good quality vanilla extract for the best flavor and taste.
Butter: You'll also need unsalted butter for this recipe, as it'll give you complete control over the flavor of the wafers you bake. Make sure it's at room temperature before using it in the recipe.
🔪 HOW TO MAKE
This recipe will give you the classic Nilla wafer flavor but even better at home in just a few simple steps.
The full instructions are in the recipe card below, but let's look at the main steps to make these cookies.
In a bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and vanilla for 3 minutes. Next, add the eggs one at a time and beat until combined.
Sift the flour and baking powder, add the flour mixture to the bowl and mix well until it's all combined.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, place the batter in a piping bag, and pipe it onto the parchment paper, making sure the cookies are the same size.
Bake in a preheated oven of 350F/180C for 13 minutes or 15 minutes if you want them crispy all the way. Rotate the baking sheet halfway through the baking time.
Remove the cookies from the oven and place them on a cooling rack to cool down. Your delicious Vanilla Wafers are ready to be served!
💭 COOKING TIPS
- These wafers are super easy to make, and you can try this recipe using a stand mixer or an electric beater.
- Try to use the best quality vanilla extract and butter in this recipe for the best results.
- Make sure that the size of the cookies is the same so that they bake evenly and look aesthetic once done.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet on the cooling rack for three minutes before taking them out on the rack to cool completely. They will crumble and break if you don't let them rest in the sheet for a while.
- Make these cookies in advance since they freeze particularly well! Scroll down below for instructions for storing and reheating.
📖 DELICIOUS VARIATIONS
This recipe is perfect as it is, but if you're looking to customize it, here are a few great ideas you can try:
Cinnamon: You can add a little ground cinnamon to the batter before piping it to get some lightly cinnamon-flavored vanilla wafers that are perfect for fall and the holiday season!
Ice cream: These cookies go great with a scoop of ice cream for the perfect comfort food and dessert. You can try experimenting with different flavors of ice cream since it goes with just about everything!
Banana pudding: A classic combination you have got to try is some vanilla wafers in a homemade banana pudding! The bananas go perfectly with the flavors of the cookies, and the vanilla pudding is a classic combination, giving you the perfect dessert you have got to try!
💬 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Vanilla wafers are delicious, light, crispy cookies that are vanilla flavored and made with simple ingredients. They're also known as Nilla Wafers here in the US, thanks to the namesake brand.
They taste even better than store-bought ones because you're not using artificial flavors or excessive preservatives. Plus, you can customize the flavor according to your preferences.
Yes, this recipe doubles well, which is a great idea because you can freeze them to have them at hand whenever you and your family want some!
Yes, you absolutely can! Make a delicious banana pudding using these homemade vanilla wafers.
🍲 MORE COOKIE RECIPES YOU'LL LOVE
🌡️ STORING AND REHEATING
Store: These delicious cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days at room temperature. There is no need to place them in the fridge.
Freezer: You can also freeze these cookies in a freezer-safe container lined with aluminum foil for up to 2 months! Make sure the cookies are completely cooled before freezing them.
Reheat: Let the cookies thaw overnight on the counter before consuming them.
Homemade Vanilla Wafers
- ½ cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- In a bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and vanilla for 3 minutes on high.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat until combined.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder. Mix until combined.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the dough in a piping bag fitted with a medium pastry tip. Pipe on the parchment paper making sure all the cookies are the same size which is about 2 to 2 and a half teaspoons. Since these cookies spread, keep them about 2 inches apart.
- Wet your finger or the back of a spoon and lightly flatten the tip of the cookies.
- Bake in a preheated oven of 350F/180C for 13 minutes or 15 minutes if you want them crispy all the way. Rotate the baking sheet halfway through the baking time. You will bake the cookies in batches.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and place them while still on the baking sheet on a cooling rack. After 3 minutes, remove the cookies from the baking sheet and place them on the cooling rack to cool completely.
- Use eggs that are at room temperature.
- Use high-quality butter and vanilla extract.
- Do not forget to flatten the tip of the cookies before baking them.
- Bake the cookies for 15 minutes if you want, then crispy from the inside too.
Leave a Comment