Slutty Brownies are a layer of chewy chocolate chip cookie, Oreo cookies, and a layer of fudgy chocolaty and chewy brownie. This sinful dessert is a crowd-pleaser. I am making the brownie batter and the cookie dough from scratch. No brownie mixes nor refrigerator chocolate chip dough here. Slutty brownies have the best from the dessert world, and I want you to enjoy it to the maximum; hence I have also included in this post, step by step images showing the process of making slutty brownie, how to use egg-free delicious brownie batter, plus tips to make this a super hit dessert for kids, finally I will show you how to store the leftover safely!
What is slutty brownies?
Slutty brownies are cookie bars! And you will be surprised to know that initially, it did not have this name. Slutty brownies used to be named the Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie n’ Oreo Fudge Brownie Bar by a food blogger. Many are not fond of the word slutty, but this is how this cookie bar is known for now. Besides the name, as explained above, it consists of three layers of chocolate chip cookie, Oreo, and brownies. You can make this dessert using brownie mix and refrigerated store-bought chocolate chip dough.
However, I think you will like my version better because I am using a fantastic recipe for chocolate chip cookie dough. It is my Outstanding Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe; the outcome is chewy, buttery, and perfectly baked cookies.
As for the brownie recipe, you can tell from the pictures that it is fudgy and has that classic crackly top!
You might be thinking that the Oreo layer will result in a crunchy, crispy layer, but the Oreo layer will get soft from the moisture coming from both the brownie dough and the chocolate chip cookie dough; it is like having a thin layer of chocolate cake.
Ingredients you need to make slutty brownies.
To make the chocolate chip cookie dough
Brown sugar and white sugar: Brown sugar adds sweetness and contributes to the cookie’s chewy texture.
Unsalted butter: I have used unsalted butter because some brands have more salt in their salted butter. It is best to use unsalted butter to control the amount of salt in the recipe. Make sure to use high-quality butter and have it at room temperature, do not use melted butter in this recipe!
Large egg: It helps the cookie rise nicely and evenly in the oven. If you have medium or small eggs, then use two eggs instead of the one large egg in this recipe.
All-purpose flour. Don’t use self-rising flour.
Chocolate chips: I prefer semi-sweet chocolate chips, but you can go for dark chocolate chips or even milk chocolate chips. Ensure that the chocolate chips you are using are made for baking; otherwise, it will harden after it is baked.
To make the brownie batter
Unsweetened cocoa powder: Make sure that you use cocoa powder for baking and not hot chocolate mix; it will not work. You can use Dutch-processed cocoa powder or a combination of regular cocoa powder and Dutch-processed. Regular cocoa powder has a more intense flavor and a little acidic, while the Dutch-processed is treated with an alkali to neutralize its acidity. But both work well in making brownies.
Sugar: I have used white sugar.
Semi-sweet chocolate chips: This is the best type of chocolate chips to use in this recipe.
Baking powder: I know that many brownie recipes do not call for baking powder, but I found that it gives the brownie a nice rise and does not change the chewy texture.
Walnuts: It is optional to add nuts, and you can use almonds instead.
How to make slutty brownies recipe from scratch?
To make the chocolate chip cookie dough
- Beat together the butter and both brown and white sugar until fluffy. Making sure that the sugar and butter are well-combined results in a chewy cookie texture.
- Add the egg and vanilla to the previous mixture and beat until well combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Gently mix until you get a smooth yet sticky dough. Do not over mix, or the cookie layer will turn out tough.
- Add in the chocolate chips and fold the dough gently.
- Spread the dough evenly in a 9×9 inch baking pan lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Place the Oreo cookies on top of the cookie dough and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
To make the brownie batter
- Preheat the oven to the desired temperature (mentioned in the recipe card below).
- In a saucepan, add both sugars, the semi-sweet chocolate chips, and butter.
- Melt the mixture on medium heat; make sure to stir gently to avoid the chocolate chips from sticking to the bottom of the pan and burn.
- When the mixture is completely melted, remove it from heat and keep on stirring for 2 minutes to help it cool down. When the mixture is warm, add the vanilla and eggs, whisk until well combined.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except the walnut and mix gently until combined.
- Add the walnuts and fold for few seconds.
- Pour the brownie batter over the Oreo cookies, and spread evenly.
- Bake in a preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with few crumbs.
Make slutty brownies in cupcake liners best for kid’s parties.
Make equal-sized balls from the chocolate chip cookie dough and place them in the cupcake liner; press it down a little.
Place the Oreo cookie on top of the cookie dough.
Pour the brownie batter on top, do not fill the cupcake liner with brownie batter. Leave around half an inch from the top.
Baking time will depend on how big or small is the cupcake pan. Check the mini slutty brownies after 12 minutes of baking.
What pans to avoid when making slutty brownies?
Avoid using pans made of glass or ceramic. They get hot quickly and maintain the heat after taking them out of the oven; this means that the slutty brownies will continue cooking for a longer time, leading to a hard cookie bar and a cakey brownie. The cookie dough might even burn at the edges.
**Tip: If you must use a glass pan, line it with two to three layers of parchment paper.
How to know the brownie is done?
Insert a toothpick in the middle and if it comes out with few crumbs, pull the slutty brownie out of the oven. It will continue cooking for a few minutes while cooling down.
You can also look at the top of the brownies if there is a crackly layer; this means that the brownies are done. You can also gently press down the brownie, and if you feel a slight resistance, it means it is done.
Some people like cakey textured brownies; others like it gooey, so it depends on your preference. I suggest you reduce the baking time to 23 to 25 minutes if you wish to have a gooey brownie. And again, that depends on your oven’s temperature.
How to store slutty brownies safely?
There are two ways to store slutty brownies. You can place the slices in an airtight container and leave them in a cool place for two days.
After placing the slutty brownie in an airtight container, refrigerate it for up to one week.
You can freeze the slices by placing them in a freezer-friendly bag for up to two months.
To thaw the frozen cookie bars, place them on the kitchen counter for 30 minutes. Some like to serve these bars with ice cream, so place the slutty brownies in the microwave until warm, and then enjoy it with a scoop of your favorite ice cream.
Tips to make it a hit every time.
- Preheat the oven before preparing the brownie batter; most ovens require 20 minutes to reach the desired temperature.
- Do not cut the slutty brownies while hot or even warm, it will break. Allow it to cool for an hour, then cut it.
- You can use Brownie mix instead of my recipe; if you follow the instructions on the box and do not overbake it, you will get a similar result.
- Do not use baking pans made of glass; glass heats up quickly, and the bottom layer of the cookie might turn out crunchy or even burn because the glass pan stays hot a long time after taking it out of the oven.
- If you are not fond of eggs in brownies, then you can use my Best Egg Free Brownies recipe. My egg-free brownie recipe is delicious, chocolaty, and chewy. You will not feel the difference and will not miss the eggs.
- If you have leftovers, make sure to freeze them. The slutty brownies freeze well.
- Use milk chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips, and semi-sweet chocolate chips in the cookie dough if you wish. You can also add more or less depending on how you like your chocolate chip cookie!
- You can add your favorite nuts to the brownie batter or leave it out.
- Use an 8×8 inch baking pan for thicker bars.
More recipes like this:
Slutty Brownies Recipe
CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE DOUGH
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup granulated white sugar
- ½ cup butter at room temp
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- 6 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup walnuts optional
Enough Oreo cookies to cover the chocolate chip cookie dough.
MAKING CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE DOUGH
- Line a 10-inch baking pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil. If using aluminum foil, it’s best to grease it.
- Use a hand mixer or even a whisk to beat the butter with both brown and white sugar until fluffy, creamy, and lighter in color.
- Add in the egg and vanilla to the previous mixture and beat until combined.
- Add the flour, salt, and baking powder to the butter mixture. Beat slowly using a hand mixer or a whisk until just combined.
- Fold in the semi-sweet chocolate chips. Do not over mix, or the cookie layer will come out tough.
- Spread the dough in an even layer in the bottom of a 10-inch baking pan.
- Place the Oreo cookies on the cookie dough, cover, and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
- In a saucepan, add both sugars, chocolate chips, and butter. Melt the mixture on medium heat. Keep mixing to prevent the chocolate chips from burning.
- Remove the pan from heat. When the melted mixture is warm, add the vanilla and eggs. Beat until combined.
- Add the flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt and mix well. Add the walnuts and fold gently for few seconds.
- Pour the brownie batter over the Oreo cookies, make sure the brownie batter is spread evenly.
- Bake on the shelf above the middle for 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out from the center of the slutty brownies with few crumbs.
- Wait until the slutty brownie cools, about an hour, and then cut in squares.
- Serve with a scoop of your favorite ice cream.
This page may contain affiliate links.