This Egg Drop Soup is better than anything you'll find at your local favorite Chinese restaurant! But what makes it even more special is that it's so quick to make, and a perfect comfort meal for any season and any night of the week!
This soup is named after the characteristic step that makes it what it is: 'dropping' raw, beaten eggs into the soup to create delicious texture and egg ribbons!
It's one of the easiest soup recipes you'll ever try, but one that will give you foolproof results every time. If you're looking for a Chinese feast, try it with my easy Chicken and Broccoli stir fry.
🥘 INGREDIENTS YOU'LL NEED
This delicious Egg Drop soup features simple ingredients you probably already have in your pantry. Let's look at the main ingredients (scroll down below to view the full list in the recipe card, along with further details and instructions):
Eggs: We can't have an egg drop soup recipe without some eggs! We'll add them carefully to our soup to get the perfect egg ribbons and texture.
Chicken: We will add shredded cooked chicken breast or thighs.
Chicken bouillon: For perfect chicken broth, we'll use chicken bouillon cubes, making this recipe quick and easy without compromising on flavor!
Soy sauce: I have used low-sodium soy sauce to control the level of saltiness.
Cornstarch: To get the right consistency in your soup, we'll use a cornstarch mixture to make a slurry that we'll incorporate into our delicious, tasty soup.
🔪 HOW TO MAKE
In a medium pan or pot, add the oil and when it heats up, add the garlic and sauté for a few seconds on medium-low heat until you smell the aroma of the garlic. Don't let the color of the garlic change.
Pour the chicken stock over the garlic and stir on medium heat. Add the shredded chicken to the stock, soy sauce, and white pepper powder.
Mix two tablespoons of cornstarch with a quarter cup of water and then gradually pour it into the stock while stirring.
Beat the whole egg and the egg white together. Gradually and slowly pour it into the soup while gently stirring in a circular motion with a whisk or fork.
Add the salt as per taste and add a quarter teaspoon of sesame oil and simmer on medium heat for one minute. Add chopped green onions to it and stir for a few seconds.
💭 COOKING TIPS
- Always stir the cornstarch slurry properly before pouring it into the soup. This will make sure you get the perfect texture and consistency.
- Use whichever chicken stock you like the most in terms of flavor since it'll greatly impact how your soup tastes.
- Make sure to keep stirring using a whisk or fork in a circular motion to create a 'whirlpool' before adding the beaten egg mixture to the soup. This will give you the tastiest soup you've ever had with perfect egg ribbons.
- Serve it in a bowl and garnish it with some extra chopped green onions for the perfect presentation!
📖 DELICIOUS VARIATIONS
This delicious Egg Drop Soup recipe will give you classic flavors you'll fall in love with! But if you're looking to customize it according to your preferences, here are a few ideas:
Vegetables: Add your favorite vegetables like carrots, peas, corn, or mushrooms to the soup. When using mushrooms and carrots, it is best to sauté them in oil before adding the garlic and follow the steps mentioned in the recipe.
Ginger: Add minced ginger for more flavor and a hint of heat. Add it with the garlic in the recipe. Alternatively, add extra ground ginger or garlic powder to take it to the next level.
Protein: This recipe features delicious shredded chicken for the perfect hearty meal, but you can try other proteins too! Serve the soup with chopped bacon to replace a meal. Alternatively, you can add tofu when substituting chicken for a vegetarian version.
Spicy: To make it spicier, you can add a little bit of your favorite hot sauce before serving! Sriracha sauce goes great with the flavors in this delicious soup, but you can even use my homemade Szechuan Sauce.
Food color: If you're wondering why the egg drop soup you had at your local Chinese restaurant was so yellow, it's probably because they added yellow food coloring to it. This is entirely a personal choice, but I prefer not to include it.
💬 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
This delicious soup is named in this way because of the characteristic step that defines it! It involves dropping raw, beaten eggs into the soup while stirring for delicious egg ribbons and the perfect flavor!
Yes, it is! It's packed with protein, thanks to the eggs and chicken, plus it's low in calories and sodium, too, since we're adding low sodium soy sauce.
No, this recipe isn't gluten-free due to the soy sauce that's included in it. For a vegan version, substitute it for tamari or coconut aminos since it tastes similar to soy sauce.
No, this isn't a keto soup even though it's very high in protein because it contains soy sauce and cornstarch. To make it keto-friendly, you can replace the soy sauce with coconut aminos and skip the cornstarch altogether. These changes will, however, affect the flavor and consistency of the soup.
🍲 MORE SOUP RECIPES YOU'LL LOVE
🌡️ STORING AND REHEATING
Fridge: Store any leftover egg drop soup you have in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Freezer: This soup should not be frozen because it will entirely change its consistency and texture.
Reheat: You can reheat any leftovers on the stovetop while stirring them occasionally Add a little chicken broth or water to adjust for consistency. If you're reheating it in the microwave instead, do it in intervals of 13 seconds so the eggs don't overcook.
Egg Drop Soup Recipe
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 250 grams shredded cooked chicken breast
- 2 cubes chicken bouillon low sodium
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- 4 cups water
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoon spring onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce reduced sodium
- ¼ teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup water
- In a medium pan, add the oil and when hot add the garlic and sauté for a few seconds on medium low heat until you smell the aroma of the garlic. Do not let the color of the garlic change.
- Pour the chicken stock over the garlic and stir on medium heat for a minute.
- Add the shredded chicken to the stock and then add the soy sauce and the white pepper powder. Stir for a minute.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with a quarter cup of water and then gradually pour it into the stock while stirring. Stir for 2 minutes on medium heat.
- Beat the whole egg and the egg white together. Gradually and slowly pour it into the soup while gently stirring in circular motion, to create the ribbon effect. Cook on medium heat for one minute.
- Add the salt as per taste and add a quarter teaspoon of sesame oil and cook on medium heat for one minute.
- Add the chopped spring onion and stir for a few seconds. Turn off the heat.
- Garnish the soup with more chopped green onions before serving.
- Add your favorite vegetables like carrots, corn, or mushroom.
- When using mushrooms and carrots it is best to sauté them in oil before adding the garlic and then follow the steps as mentioned in the recipe.
- For more flavor and a hint of heat add minced ginger. Add it with the garlic.
- Serve the soup with chopped bacon to replace a meal.