Creamy chicken and mushroom soup is delicious, healthy, hearty, and quick to make. You can use any cut of chicken breast or thighs, and it will always taste great. I will show you how to make this creamy soup with tips and variations to make it a hit each time.
In this Winter season, make this chicken mushroom soup. It will keep you warm and be a complete meal with Bread rolls.
This soup is loaded with mushrooms and tender chunks of chicken. The earthy herbs add amazing flavor, and your family will thank you for making it.
Why not make some tonight? It will take 30 minutes if not less, to make this nutritious soup. I have used simple ingredients available all the time!
❤️ WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Perfect weeknight dinner: You can quickly make and enjoy this soup while watching your favorite movie.
- Healthy and hearty: There are vegetables and lean protein in this soup. Your body will thank you for it.
- Budget-friendly ingredients: The ingredients are easy to find and are inexpensive.
- Easy for beginners: If this is your first time making soup, you'll find it super easy to make this recipe within minutes.
To make this creamy chicken and mushroom soup, you will need simple ingredients. Below are the main ingredients and more details in the recipe card.
Skinless and boneless chicken - You can go for thighs or breasts. They both work in this recipe.
Olive oil and Butter - These two fats add amazing flavor and richness to the soup.
Mushrooms - Use the mushrooms available to you. Button and Cremini mushrooms work best.
Flour - I have used all-purpose flour to thicken the soup.
Spinach - For your convenience, you can choose between frozen or fresh spinach.
Earthy warm spices - We will use Italian seasoning, paprika, black pepper, and other spices.
🥄 HOW TO MAKE IT
In a saucepan, add butter and olive oil. When the butter melts, add the chicken and cook for four minutes on medium-high.
Add the chopped onion and garlic, and cook until the onion is translucent. Add the mushrooms and spinach and stir until light brown patches appear on the chicken.
Sprinkle the flour and stir for two minutes. Add the chicken stock and the spices, and keep stirring the mixture to avoid creating lumps.
Let the soup simmer for 5 minutes. Add the milk and stir for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat.
👩🏽🍳 PRO TIPS
- You can use any chicken cut; this soup is tasty with chicken breast or thighs.
- Do not cook on high heat; medium and medium-low heat allow the ingredients to maintain their flavor.
- To thicken the soup, you can go for cornstarch instead of flour. If you are using cornstarch, make a slurry by mixing cornstarch with a little water and then add it to the soup.
- You can go for olive oil only, but butter gives more flavor and richness.
🍽️ HOW TO SERVE IT
The best way to serve Chicken Mushroom Soup is with a loaf of bread. Some serve it with rice.
Get creative when making this soup to make it your own.
Add bell pepper - If you are fond of bell pepper, chop some and add it, but do not add much, or it will take over the soup's flavor.
Make it spicy - Add a few chili flakes.
More vegetables - Zucchini, squash, potatoes, and corn go well in this chicken mushroom soup.
The leftover soup can be stored in the fridge for three days in a plastic container, or you can freeze it for up to two months.
To thaw the soup, place it in the fridge overnight or until it thaws, and then reheat it on medium-low heat over the stove.
📣 MORE SOUP RECIPES
⭐PLEASE RATE AND REVIEW
If you have tried this recipe and liked it, please give it a 5-star rating and leave a comment below with your experience!
Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Soup
- 2 skinless boneless chicken thighs cut into bite size
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ⅓ cup chopped spinach
- 7 mushrooms cut in quarter Button or Cremini
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 cups hot water or chicken broth Read the notes
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour Read the notes
- In a saucepan, add butter and olive oil. When the butter melts add the chicken and cook for four minutes on medium high.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic, cook, until the onion is translucent. Add the mushrooms and spinach and stir until light brown patches appear on the chicken.
- Sprinkle the flour and stir for two minutes. Add the chicken stock and the spices, keep stirring the mixture to avoid creating lumps.
- Let the soup simmer for 5 minutes. Add the milk and stir for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Serve hot with bread.
- Use one cube of chicken bouillon dissolved in three cups of hot water if chicken stock is unavailable.
- You can use cornstarch instead of flour. Mix the cornstarch with a little water to make a slurry, then add it to the soup. You will need 1 and a half tablespoon of cornstarch.