I’m so excited to share this Braided Sweet Milk Bread recipe with you, it is light, fluffy, scrumptious, and can be used in making bread pudding and French toast. It might be tricky when kneading it but in this post, I will tell you exactly what to do.
Although this Braided Sweet Milk Bread looks beautiful and tastes great, but the kneading part might make you doubt the measurement of the ingredients. After mixing all the ingredients together you’ll find that the dough is very sticky. That’s normal.
Tips on Making Braided Sweet Milk Bread.
You will have the urge to add more flour but please don’t, the bread will turn out dry and heavy. I will teach you a technique that will make kneading this dough not only fun but therapeutic!
First of all, you have to make sure that the egg is at room temperature, we are going to use warm milk to bring the yeast back to life, adding a cold egg to the mixture will make the dough rising time longer.
After mixing the ingredients, you’ll have a wet dough, please do not add more flour to the dough at this point. It will be easier if you have a stand mixer but in case you don’t, then knead the dough as you normally do, make sure to clean your hands from parts of the dough that are stuck between your fingers and palm.
After a minute and a half you will be able to see that the texture of the dough is getting firmer, now all you have to do is pick the dough and slam it on your working surface (this is the therapeutic part), do this for two minutes and the dough will come together and get firmer.
The Braided Sweet Milk Bread dough will stay sticky a little, but at this point, it will have a smooth surface and fine texture. Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover and let it double in size, will take one hour and twenty minutes.
The next step is when you shape the dough into braids, it’s the fun part, it’s when you see that your hard work is turning into a beautiful braid, but the best part is when you take the loaves out of the oven and be mesmerized by how stunning it looks.
You may also like these bread recipes:
Braided Sweet Milk BreadPrint Rate
- 2 ¼ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon dry yeast
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 1 whole egg at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 6 tablespoon warm milk
- ***Egg Wash:
- 1 egg yolk mixed with two tablespoon milk.
- In a bowl, add the milk, yeast, and sugar whisk well until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the rest of ingredients and knead for two minutes. The dough will be very sticky at this point but knead for two minutes and it will get a little firmer yet still sticky.
- Grab the dough and bash it on your working surface, do this until the dough gets firmer, might take three minutes. (no need to add more flour to the working surface.)
- In an oiled bowl, place the dough and cover it to double in size, will take 90 minutes.
- Punch the dough but do not knead it again. Cut the dough in half, then cut each half into half.
- Roll two halves into a long log, around 15 to 16 inch. Make a cross shape from the two halves, hold the bottom log from two ends and overlap, now do this to the top log, continue doing so and you will see that the braid is created. Tuck the ends under the braid. Do this with the remaining two halves.
- Cover and let it rise again for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- Brush the braids with the egg wash and sprinkle sesame seed, nigella seeds, or poppy seed on top. Bake for 14 minutes.
- Place on cooling rack to cool completely.
- ***PS: I measure flour by spooning the flour into my measuring cup, then with the straight side of a knife I level the flour across the measuring cup.
Follow me on Instagram, and if you happen to make any of my recipes, please post the picture and mention me in your post, or use this hashtag #munatycooking. I would love to see your creation.