Tender Lamb Shank, smothered in a luxurious silky smooth gravy, simple to prepare and is full of flavor coming from the spices and vegetables. This dish is an elegant and family favorite dinner that won’t take much time to prepare. However, the only waiting time is the cooking time, and even in that long time, all you have to do is let the lamb shank cook in the oven while you do other chores or even relax. Watch the video in this post to see how super simple it is to make this fall off the bone lamb shank recipe!
Lamb Shank Recipe Ingredients
Onion, Potato, Carrot, and Garlic.
Chicken or beef bouillon.
Whole cloves. Italian seasoning. Cumin powder, paprika, salt, and black pepper.
Tomato paste, it's replacing tomato sauce for a less sour taste.
There is no red wine or dry red wine in this recipe!
If you want to Wow your family and guests, then this lamb shank recipe is the one you should try! We all are busy and hardly have time to cook a luxurious dinner for our families. Still, just like my Fall Off The Bone Ribs Recipe and my quick but gorgeous looking Garlic Mushroom Chicken Breast Recipe, this lamb shank recipe looks good, tastes fantastic, and saves you a lot of time which you can use to focus on other tasks or simply enjoy a hobby!
Lamb Shank is an inexpensive cut, and you have to cook it for at least 3 hours to get it tender, it releases incredible flavors from the bone and meat. It has a fair amount of fat, which helps it get that delicious and fall off the bone texture.
There is no way you can overcook lamb shank, you can cook the shank for 30 minutes or an hour extra, and you will still get that mouth-watering rich sauce and flavor. However, there is one thing you must be careful about, and that is the amount of gravy. The amount of liquid for this recipe is perfect for 3 hours of cooking in the oven, but in case you want to cook this dish longer, you might want to increase the amount of liquid.
How to cook fall off the bone lamb shank?
Making this dish is as easy as 1 2 3, and I’m not joking at all! If you have all the ingredients, then you might spend 7 minutes or less to put everything together and then cook it in the oven for three hours.
First, Preheat the oven for at least 15 minutes.
In a 9” or 12” baking pan (You can use a dutch oven), add the spices, flour, and the chicken bouillon. Add a cup of water and whisk for a minute. Add the vegetables, including the garlic, and place the lamb shank on top of the vegetables. Season the lamb shank with salt, pepper, paprika, and drizzle with olive oil.
Cover the pan with aluminum foil and place it in the oven for 1 hour and a half. Uncover the pan and flip the lamb shank. Cover the pan again and place it in the oven for another 1 hour and a half.
Bring out the baking pan from the oven and keep it covered for 5 to 10 minutes.
The gravy will be slightly thick, and the meat will fall off the bone for sure!
If you wish and have the time, you can add more flavor to the lamb shank by following the Pot Roast method. which is usually used when cooking a tough cut of meat. Add oil to a large pan and then sear the lamb shank from all the sides, then follow the steps mentioned in this recipe. When cooking more than two lamb shanks, sear them in batches.
How to store leftover Lamb Shanks?
Place the lamb shank with the gravy in an airtight container, put it in the refrigerator, and consume it within three days.
You can also place the lamb shank in the freezer for up to 4 months.
How To Make Fall Off The Bone Lamb Shank
- 1 Lamb Shank around 350gm to 400gm
- 1 large onion cut into cubes
- 2 carrots large dice
- 3 garlic cloves cut in halves
- ½ cube chicken bouillon
- ¼ inch cinnamon stick
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 potatoes diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil
TO SEASON THE LAMB SHANK:
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- A drizzle of olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 374F/ 190C (it is considered medium-high heat). Keep the oven on for 15 minutes before using it.
- In a 9” deep baking pan (Use a 12” baking pan if you want to add more vegetables), add the flour, oil, all the spices, tomato paste, and chicken bouillon.
- Pour a cup of water and whisk for a minute.
- Stick the cloves into the onion, add them to the pan with the potatoes, garlic, carrots, and ¼ cinnamon stick.
- Place the lamb shank over the vegetables. Pour another cup of water into the baking pan. Season the lamb shank with paprika, black pepper, and salt. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Cover the baking pan with aluminum foil.
- Cook the lamb shank for 1 hour and a half, let it simmer, and cook slowly. Uncover the pan and flip the lamb shank. Cover with the aluminum foil again and cook for another 1 hour and a half in the braising liquid.
- Take out the lamb shank from the oven and keep it covered for 5 to 10 minutes. Gently, stir the vegetables in the pan.
- Serve hot with mashed potato or rice and garnish with chopped parsley.
- Instead of chicken bouillon, you can use beef bouillon. Or replace the water with beef stock or beef broth.
- You can replace the chicken bouillon with chicken stock. Omit the water and use two cups of chicken stock.
- If you are using concentrated chicken stock, then use one cup of chicken stock and one cup of water.
- Out of Italian seasoning? then replace it with fresh thyme or fresh rosemary. Other spices you can add can bay leaves.
- Wash the lamb shank and pat dry before cooking.
- You can add other vegetables like celery to this dish.
- If you are cooking two lamb shanks, use a larger pan and double the ingredients.
- Do not increase the oven temperature to make the liquid boil, the lamb shank will take a longer time to cook.
- Searing any protein keeps it tender and juicy from the inside and enhances the flavor.