Tender Lamb Shank, smothered in a luxurious silky smooth gravy, simple to prepare and is full of flavor coming from the spices and vegetables. This dish is an elegant and family favorite dinner that won’t take much time to prepare. However, the only waiting time is the cooking time, and even in that long time, all you have to do is let the lamb shank cook in the oven while you do other chores or even relax. Watch the video in this post to see how super simple it is to make this fall off the bone lamb shank recipe!
Lamb Shank Recipe Ingredients
Onion, Potato, Carrot, and Garlic.
Whole cloves. Italian seasoning. Cumin powder, paprika, salt, and black pepper.
If you want to Wow your family and guests, then this lamb shank recipe is the one you should try! We all are busy and hardly have time to cook a luxurious dinner for our families. Still, just like my Fall Off The Bone Ribs Recipe and my quick but gorgeous looking Garlic Mushroom Chicken Breast Recipe, this lamb shank recipe looks good, tastes fantastic, and saves you a lot of time which you can use to focus on other tasks or simply enjoy a hobby!
Lamb Shank is an inexpensive cut, and you have to cook it for at least 3 hours to get it tender, it releases incredible flavors from the bone and meat. It has a fair amount of fat, which helps it get that delicious and fall off the bone texture. There is no way you can overcook lamb shank, you can cook the shank 30 minutes or an hour extra, and you will still get that mouth watering texture and flavor. However, there is one thing you must be careful about, and that is the amount of gravy. The amount of liquid for this recipe is perfect for 3 hours cooking in the oven, but in case you want to cook this dish longer, you might want to increase the amount of liquid in the recipe.
How to cook fall off the bone lamb shank?
Making this dish is as easy as 1 2 3, and I’m not joking at all! If you have all the ingredients, then you might spend 7 minutes or less to put everything together and then cook it in the oven for three hours.
First, Preheat the oven for at least 15 minutes.
In a 9” or 12” baking pan, add the spices, flour, and the chicken bouillon. Add a cup of water and whisk for a minute. Add the vegetables, including the garlic, and place the lamb shank on top of the vegetables. Season the lamb shank with salt, pepper, paprika, and drizzle with olive oil.
Cover the pan with aluminum foil and place it in the oven for 1 hour and a half. Uncover the pan and flip the lamb shank. Cover the pan again and place it in the oven for another 1 hour and a half.
Bring out the baking pan from the oven and keep it covered for 5 to 10 minutes.
The gravy will be slightly thick, and the meat will fall off the bone for sure!
How to store leftover Lamb Shanks?
Place the lamb shank with the gravy in an airtight container and refrigerate. Consume within three days.
Watch Me Make Fall Off The Bone Lamb Shank on YouTube. Please Subscribe!
Fall Off The Bone Lamb Shank Recipe
- 1 Lamb Shank around 350gm to 400gm
- 1 large onion cut in cubes
- 2 carrots large dice
- 3 garlic cloves cut in halves
- ½ cube chicken bouillon
- ¼ inch cinnamon stick
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 potatoes diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil
TO SEASON THE LAMB SHANK:
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- A drizzle of olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 374F/ 190C. Keep the oven on for 15 minutes before using it.
- In a 9” deep baking pan (Use a 12” baking pan if you want to add more vegetables), add the flour, all the spices, a stick of cinnamon, and chicken bouillon.
- Pour a cup of water and whisk for a minute.
- Stick the cloves into the onion, add it to the pan with the potatoes, garlic, and carrots.
- Place the lamb shank over the vegetables. Season the lamb shank with paprika, black pepper, and salt. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Pour another cup of water in the baking pan. Cover the baking pan with aluminum foil.
- Cook the lamb shank for 1 hour and a half, uncover the pan, and flip the lamb shank. Cover with the aluminum foil again and cook for another 1 hour and a half.
- Take out the lamb shank from the oven and keep it covered for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with mashed potato or rice and garnish with chopped parsley.
- Instead of chicken bouillon, you can use beef bouillon.
- You can replace the chicken bouillon with chicken stock. Omit the water and use two cups of chicken stock. If you are using concentrated chicken stock, then use one cup of chicken stock and one cup of water.
- Out of Italian seasoning? then replace it with thyme.
- Wash the lamb shank and pat dry before cooking.
- You can add other vegetables like celery to this dish.
- If you are cooking two lamb shanks, use a larger pan and double the ingredients.
This page may contain affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you.