Winter is here, and I like this season for many reasons, rain is one of them.
Rain brings comfort and harmony, and somehow just washes everything clean. In this season my family enjoys warm desserts and drinks, and today I’m sharing something sweet, light, and will keep you warm. My Caramelized Apple Bread Pudding.
My attempt to make my blog full of comfort food that are low in calories, made me modify this recipe and make it delicious and less time consuming.
You don’t need to scald the milk, or make the custard separately, yet you’ll get the same texture when baking this bread pudding.
The caramelized apples are like little pleasant surprises every time you take a bite and find some in it. I have chopped the apples in this recipe, but you can slice it thin or make the cubes bigger.
I like my bread pudding warm with some chopped nuts on top. How do you like yours? Let me know 🙂
Caramelized Apple Bread Pudding
Serves 6. 176 calories per serving.
6 slices white bread (120gm)
2 teaspoon butter
1 apple peeled and cubed – around one cup
1 whole egg
2 egg white
1 1/2 cups milk
1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– Preheat oven to 180C/ 350 degrees F.
– In a pan, add butter, apple, and 1-tablespoon sugar, sauté until the apples are lightly caramelized.
– In an 8-inch square baking pan, mix the bread with the caramelized apple.
– In a bowl, beat the egg, egg white, milk, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Pour the mixture over the bread, keep it aside for five minutes so it can soak the egg mixture.
– Bake for 45 – 55 minutes.