Golden milk is an ancient delicious drink with medicinal properties that help reduce joint and muscle pain, leaving you feeling refreshed and relaxed. Learn how to make it a delicious vegan drink. Let's enjoy its healing properties and creamy texture.
This golden milk recipe used turmeric powder and other earthy spices like cinnamon and ginger powder. Golden milk can cure cough and upset stomach and reduce depression.
You must use high-quality turmeric powder in this recipe. Some brands mix turmeric with other ingredients and food coloring, which lessens the benefits of turmeric.
🥘 INGREDIENTS YOU'LL NEED
This drink can be prepared within 5 minutes; it's delicious and has the simplest ingredients.
Scroll down to the recipe card for further details.
Turmeric: In India, they use turmeric in cooking and medicine. Using gloves or handling turmeric with utensils is best to prevent it from staining your hands.
Honey: There are uncountable benefits of honey, and in this recipe, we are using it because of its healing properties and sweetening the drink.
Milk: I have used whole milk, but you can choose low-fat or almond milk.
Blend of spices: We will blend earthy, warm spices that will flavor this golden milk.
🔪 HOW TO MAKE
The full instructions are in the recipe card below, but let's look at the main steps to making this treat.
Add all the ingredients except honey to a pan, and cook over medium heat. Let the milk simmer for 2 minutes and turn off the heat.
Cover the milk and leave it for 3 minutes.
Strain the milk into a cup using a fine strainer. Sweeten with honey. Enjoy it warm or with a glass full of ice.
💭 COOKING TIPS
- Get high-quality turmeric; some brands add cornstarch and food coloring, reducing turmeric's benefits.
- It is not recommended to let the milk boil for a long time; the heat will eliminate the benefits of the ingredients.
- Use good-quality honey at home; if you don't like honey, use light brown sugar or raw sugar.
- When cooking the milk, keep the heat low and stir to prevent the milk from burning at the bottom.
📖 DELICIOUS VARIATIONS
Add nuts: Some add almond or walnut powder.
Make it vegan: Instead of milk, use almond or soy milk, but golden milk tastes even better with coconut milk.
💬 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Golden Milk is a traditional Indian drink, a mix of milk with different spices. Indians use cow milk which helps lower blood cholesterol levels.
There are several benefits to consuming golden milk. It can help glow and clear the skin, helps indigestion, lowers cholesterol, boost immunity, helps moderate insulin levels, reduces joint pain, improves memory, and much more.
Most people enjoy it before bedtime since it relaxes the body and the warm milk helps you sleep.
Please don’t use this drink to substitute proper medical treatment; always seek Doctor’s help if you are not feeling well. This drink is not meant to replace medicine.
You can use honey, maple and date syrup, or raw sugar.
🍲 MORE BEVERAGE RECIPES YOU'LL LOVE
🌡️ STORING AND HEATING
Golden milk can be refrigerated in a jar with a closed lid for up to four days. Reheat it or drink it chilled.
Golden Milk Recipe
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ½ tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ginger powder
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon coconut oil
- In a pan, add all the ingredients except honey, and cook over medium heat.
- When the milk comes to a boil, turn off the heat.
- Cover the milk and leave it for 3 minutes, this will allow the flavors of the spices to blend well with the milk and enhance the flavor.
- Strain the milk into a cup using a fine strainer. Sweeten with honey.
- Enjoy this drink warm, or you can leave it to cool and serve it in a glass full of Ice.
- Instead of coconut oil, you can use ghee or butter.
- Sweeten the golden milk with raw sugar, date, or maple syrup.
- You can have this drink, hot or chilled.