Apple Cider Recipe – My house smelled heavenly while I was cooking apple cider. The blend of spices combined with the aroma of orange and lime alone can make you feel good. I love making apple cider from scratch and if you follow my recipe you’ll know why!
I have nothing against store-bought apple cider, but I like to have control over the flavor of the food and drinks I consume, therefore, I will mostly go for homemade apple cider.
I can add the spices I love and as much as I want. I can also control the amount of sugar used.
Making Apple Cider
When it comes to picking apples to make the cider, I go for the red apples but I mix them with few green apples. The red apples are sweet and have great flavor, so when cooking red apples, you get a lot of its taste in your cider despite the addition of orange and spices.
That is my preference but of course, you can use any type of apple available in your house.
Some like to have apple cider while hot, but I love it chilled and with a lot of ice. Usually, I’d make the cider and leave it in the fridge for a day or at least few hours, this allows the flavors to come to gather, so I usually have it the next day.
Many prefer to make apple cider in slow cooker. My version is a stove top recipe. I need to strengthen my relationship with my slow cooker, the poor thing been on the shelf for a long time!
If you want more delicious drinks, try these:
Homemade apple cider drink. A drink that when served chilled is tasty and refreshing.
- 4 Apples peeled and chopped I used 4 red and 1 green
- 1 orange peeled and cut in half
- 1 lime peeled and cut in half
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon clove powder
- 1 star anise
- 7 cups water
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup chilled water to dilute the cider after it’s done
- In a large pan, add all the ingredients and stir for one minute.
- Cook on high heat until it comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low heat and let the mixture cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Using a potato masher or the back of a spatula mash the mixture.
- Strain the mixture using a sieve or a cheesecloth.
- Pour the cider into a pitcher and add 1 ½ cup chilled water. Place in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Serve with ice.
This page may contain affiliate links, which pay me a small commission
For my referral at no extra cost to you.
Thanks for supporting Munatycooking.com