Iced Green Tea is refreshing and good for you. I added cherry syrup to give this drink a vibrant color and flavor. You'll need 5 simple ingredients and a few minutes to make Iced Green Tea and enjoy it all Summer.
I can't think of a more relaxing and refreshing iced tea that has many health benefits and help me beat the Summer heat. You miss a lot if you have not had iced green tea yet!
If you are not fond of cherries, I have other variations with the same amazing outcome. One of my favorite drinks in Summertime, well, actually all year long, will always be Southern Iced Tea, but green iced tea has a special place too. Today's recipe serves 2 and has 144 calories per serving. Why not get the pitcher ready and make some today?
WHAT IS ICED GREEN TEA
Iced green tea is a healthy beverage and has a hint of lemon. It is not made of Matcha but made of loose green tea leaves. You can use tea bags to make it, but ensure it's high quality.
📋 INGREDIENTS YOU'LL NEED
Below are the main ingredients for an iced green tea recipe. They are simple and budget-friendly.
Pitted cherries - We will make cherry syrup to sweeten the iced tea. It will add a beautiful color and mildly sweet flavor.
Green tea leaves - There are many green teas in the market. You should go with the one you prefer. Make sure it is of high quality. Most brands have green tea bags, but they might taste bitter because of how they are processed. Sencha and Gyokuro are two types with a hint of sweetness. Having said that, please do not use Gyokuro tea bags; they never taste the same as when in a loose leaf tea forms.
Water - We need water to make iced tea, but the temperature is important here. Green tea leaves are delicate, and when you use high temperatures to prepare the tea, it not only loses some of its benefits but tastes bitter.
Lemon juice - You don't have to add it, but it gives a refreshing feel to the beverage. You can also use lime juice.
🔪 HOW TO MAKE ICED GREEN TEA
Follow these easy steps to make a refreshing, healthy drink for you and your family.
Making the cherry simple syrup
Add 1 cup of water and sugar in a small saucepan. Stir to dissolve the sugar, and let the mixture boil for two minutes.
Add the pitted cherries, lemon juice, and let it boil. Reduce the heat and allow it to simmer for 3 minutes. Mash the cherries with a masher.
Strain the cherry syrup and discard the solids. Pour it into the pitcher.
Making the green iced tea
In a saucepan, add 2 cups of water, let it boil. Turn off the heat. Let the water cool for 4 minutes.
Add the green tea leaves to the hot water. Cover, and let it steep for two minutes. Strain the green tea, discard the leaves, and pour the tea into the pitcher. Mix well.
When the tea comes to room temperature, refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
📖 DELICIOUS VARIATIONS
Add your favorite sweetener - Instead of sugar, you can go for honey, maple syrup, or raw sugar.
Introduce berries - If you are not fond of cherries or if they are not in season, use strawberries, blueberries, or blackberries instead.
Different robust flavors - Add chopped fresh mint leaves or fresh ginger slices to the pitcher. You can also add lemon slices.
💬 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Yes. As per Wikipedia, green tea has benefits, but it's not as exaggerated as in some articles. Many consume it because it is relaxing and calming. However, drinking more than 3 or 4 cups daily is not advisable.
Yes. You can enjoy all the benefits when you steep the tea at 175 - 170 Fehrenhite (79 - 76 C). Except for the Gyokuro green tea, the steeping temperature should be between 122 - 140 Fehrenhite (50 - 60 C). Then you can enjoy the tea warm or chilled.
For a cold brew, pour 4 cups of water into a pitcher and add 6 green tea bags. Close the pitcher and refrigerate it for 5 hours. Sweeten the tea with your favorite sweetener before serving.
MORE COLD DRINKS YOU'LL ENJOY
🌡️ HOW TO SAFELY STORE ICED GREEN TEA
Be it black tea or green, you can refrigerate it for up to 2 days.
An old memo published in (1996) by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) suggested storing the tea in the fridge for 8 hours and then throwing it. However, they were talking about sun-brewed tea because the water didn't get hot enough to kill any bacteria present.
We are boiling the water and refrigerate the tea once it cools. Hence, it is safe to consume it within 2 days when refrigerated.
How to Make Iced Green Tea
- 1 cup pitted cherries
- ¼ cup sugar read the notes below
- 1 ½ tablespoon loose green tea leaves or 2 teabags
- 3 cups of water read the notes
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
Making the Syrup
- Add 1 cup water and sugar in a saucepan and stir until the sugar dissolves. Let it come to a boil.
- Add the pitted cherries and lemon juice. Let it boil, reduce the heat, mash the cherries, and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Strain the cherries and discard the solids. Pour the syrup into a pitcher.
Making the Iced Tea
- Add 2 cups of water to a saucepan and let it boil. Turn off the heat and let the water cool for 4 minutes. Add the green tea leaves or the tea bags, cover them, and steep them for two to three minutes.
- Strain the green tea through a strainer, discard the leaves or the tea bags, and pour the tea over the cherry syrup.
- Mix, and when it comes to room temperature, refrigerate for at least one hour.
- To serve, fill a glass with ice cubes and pour the iced tea.
- The sweetness will dilute after pouring the iced tea into a glass of ice cubes.
- For a stronger tea, you can reduce the amount of water to 1 and a half cups.
- Every green tea is different in strength; you might need to add more or less water when steeping the tea.
- This post was originally published in 2013. I have added more information and details.