These small buns are divine. I filled them with cream cheese and poured just enough syrup when they came out of the oven.
I love to bake, there is no doubt about that, but I love to bake these buns in particular.
When I first heard about this dessert, I pictured a cake decorated with bee like candy, so I wasn’t crazy about finding more about it. Until one day I had it at a friend’s place and I got addicted. When these buns are baked at my home, usually it finishes the same day, no one I know tasted it and didn’t love it.
Another thing I love about Beehive sweet buns is its dough, it’s not messy and soft, it becomes softer after you leave it to rise.
I hope you enjoy it as much as my family and I did!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup warm milk
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon yogurt
- 1 1/4 tablespoons sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- In a saucepan, add sugar and water.
- Let it boil for 3 minutes. When the sugar completely dissolves, and the water is clear, turn off heat and keep aside.
- Syrup will get thicker after it's cold, add few drop of water if you think it became too thick. Do not boil again.
- *Tip: You can add your favorite flavor like, vanilla, lemon, rose water after turning off the heat.
- In a bowl, add milk, sugar, yeast, yogurt, and oil. Mix well.
- Add the sifted flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix together and then start to knead.
- Depending on the flour you are using, you may need to add more milk, but if you do, add a tablespoon at a time.
- Knead for 10 minutes, the dough will be soft and bouncy.
- Dip your finger in flour, and then press the dough very gently. The dough should bounce back a little.
- Apply oil on dough.
- Cover the dough and let it double in size, this may take one hour.
- Knead the dough for 30 seconds, and then make 25 balls out of it.
- Flatten each ball with your fingers and fill them with half teaspoon of cream cheese. Seal the bun by pulling together the sides, then press it shut.
- Place the balls close to each other on greased baking tray.
- When done cover the balls with dishcloth and leave to rise for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven 180C – 356F.
- Brush with beaten egg.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Pour around one and half cup of syrup on those hot buns.