You must try this Hot Milk Cake! It is a delicious cake with tender crumbs and great flavor from the butter and vanilla. It will melt in your mouth and is perfect as a birthday cake, Victoria Cake, and Trifles.
You will enjoy this fluffy and moist vanilla hot milk cake; even if this is the first time you bake a cake. You will love how easy it is to make an almost failproof recipe.
Frost it with buttercream frosting or with Fluffy Ermine Frosting, although it tastes amazing plain. If you wonder how it tastes, then let me tell you that it's between pound cake and moist vanilla cake.
❤️ WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- The cake is delicious and stays super moist for up to three days.
- It freezes well.
- The ingredients are simple and budget-friendly.
- It is super easy to prepare and is a fail-proof recipe.
- Quick - everything comes together in a short time.
More details on the ingredients are in the recipe card below.
All-purpose flour – You can use cake flour or even cake flour substitute instead of all-purpose flour.
Cornstarch – I am adding cornstarch to this recipe to help the crumbs stay tender longer and avoid beating the eggs for 10 minutes by hand or 5 minutes with a hand mixer. If you are using cake flour, omit the cornstarch from the recipe and replace it with two tablespoons of cake flour.
Unsalted butter – I always use unsalted butter in my recipes to control how much salt I add to my batter. If you can’t get your hand on unsalted butter, use salted and omit the salt from the recipe.
Oil – Use unflavored cooking oil, like sunflower oil, corn oil, or canola oil. Avoid olive oil since its flavor may take over. Oil is essential. It also aids in keeping the cake moist for a longer time.
Milk - It is a hot milk cake, so we need milk, and I have used full-fat milk.
🥄 HOW TO MAKE IT
I know that many recipes for hot milk cake ask you to beat the eggs for 6 to 10 minutes until it doubles in volume, but we will save time and get a better result using the steps below:
Preheat the oven, and Line an 8x5” loaf pan with parchment paper.
Beat the eggs until frothy, then add the sugar and whisk until it dissolves.
Add the vanilla and the oil and whisk for a few seconds until combined
Sift in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Mix gently using a whisk.
In a small saucepan, add the milk and butter, heat the mixture until it comes to a simmer.
Pour the hot milk and butter mixture over the batter and mix gently.
Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, and bake the cake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Let the cake cool for 5 to 9 minutes in the pan before inverting it on a cooling rack.
👩🏽🍳 PRO TIPS
- Preheat the oven for 30 minutes.
- Use ingredients that are at room temperature; help the cake to bake evenly.
- You can use low-fat milk, but avoid skim milk.
- Use high-quality butter to have an amazing buttery flavor.
- You can use an 8-inch round pan. If you double the recipe, you can bake two 8-inch cakes perfect for layering a birthday cake.
- You can use lactose-free milk instead of regular milk; you can also use almond milk, but ensure it doesn’t burn when you heat it. I have to mention that the texture of the cake will be a little different when using almond milk.
- Use half milk and half heavy cream for a richer flavor and texture.
- Use orange extract instead of vanilla.
- Sprinkle some toasted nuts over the batter before baking it.
👪 SERVING SIZE
This cake makes 15 to 17 slices.
🍽️ HOW TO SERVE IT
- You can dust the cake with the confectioner’s sugar before serving.
- Frost the cake with buttercream frosting.
- Serve it as a tea cake with some berries on the side.
- You can also serve it with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Place the cake in an airtight container or a Ziploc bag. Make sure to take out as much air as possible.
- Wrap the cake with plastic wrap and then with foil and refrigerate for up to 8 days.
- You can freeze the cake by wrapping it with plastic wrap and place it in an airtight container. Freeze it for up to six months.
- If you are freezing the cake, slice it and then freeze it. To thaw the frozen cake, place it in the fridge while wrapped.
📣 MORE CAKE RECIPES
⭐PLEASE RATE AND REVIEW
If you have tried this recipe and liked it, please give it a 5-star rating and leave a comment below with your experience!
Best Hot Milk Cake Recipe
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C and line an 8x5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs until frothy, add the sugar and whisk until the sugar dissolves. You can use a hand mixer, but a whisk will do.
- Add the vanilla and whisk for a few seconds, then add the oil and whisk for a few more seconds, you will notice that the mixture is getting thicker, but that’s fine.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, cornstarch, and salt. For better results, you can sift twice. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix gently. Do not over mix at this stage.
- In a small saucepan, add the milk and butter and heat until the butter dissolves completely, do not let the milk boil. Remove it when it simmers.
- Pour the hot milk and butter mixture over the batter in one go. Mix gently until combined.
- Pour the batter into the previously prepared baking pan and bake for 25 to 35 minutes.
- When you insert a skewer in the middle of the cake, and it comes out clean, your cake is ready.
- Keep the cake in the pan for 5 to 9 minutes and then remove it and allow it to cool completely on a cooling rack.