Kunafa is an Arabian dessert, it’s a fancy, classy, and a sophisticated delight. Arabs love Kunafa and although Arab men are not so fond of dessert, yet they enjoy this beauty very much! I thought of sharing this version of Kunafa with Cream with you, to show you how easy it is to fall in love with beauty!
Kunafa with Cream
Kunafa can be filled or layered with sweet cheese or cream, it can be a soft kunafa or very crispy. No matter how it is made, Kunafa with Cream pleases everyone.
Arab men tend to compare beautiful women to Kunafa, and the reason behind it is that Kunafa represents everything that is there in an attractive woman. The crisp texture from the outside is like women who play hard to get, then comes the soft texture of cream beneath that layer, which represents the softness of a women’s heart and nature. Later comes the syrup, poured on top, and they say that it is the sweet words women say when in love. You must be wondering about the pistachio, well, that is the makeup women wear to enhance their beauty.
But there is one negative thing about Kunafa, it is very high in calories. One serving of Kunafa is around 580 – 630 calories. See what I mean?
Not to worry! You’ll have Kunafa and won’t feel guilty but only if you made my version … Yes, I admit, this is the fake version, and it is called in Arabic (Kunafa Kaddabeh). However, it tastes EXACTLY if not better than what’s baked in bakeries.
Your family and friends will ask for more, and why not since one serving of this version of Kunafa with Cream is only 112 calories.
The best part is, you probably have everything in your kitchen right now, to make this Kunafa. Take a look at the ingredients below and you’ll know what I mean! Now you can have Kunafa whenever you crave it.
This post is dedicated to three beautiful women, who managed to survive me and love me the way I am. They are not just my mom and sisters, but are also my friends, and I love them so much.
Thank you for being in my life!
Follow me on Instagram, and if you happen to make any of my recipes, please post the picture and mention me in your post, or use this hashtag #munatycooking. I would love to see your creation.
As for my recipe of Kunafa with Cream, here you go!
- 2 cups low fat milk
- 1½ tablespoons sugar
- 3½ tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in ¼ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon butter ( will be added to the milk)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla (you can use rose water)
- 100gm bread crumbled by hand or food processor
- 1 tablespoon butter (will be added to the bread)
- ***The Syrup
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- ***Making the syrup:
- - In a saucepan, add both ingredients and let it boil for 3 - 4 minutes. Keep aside to cool.
- ***Making the cream:
- - In a pan, add the milk, butter, and sugar. Let it come to a boil.
- - Add vanilla to the cornstarch mixture then add it to the milk and keep stirring.
- - When the milk cover the back of a spoon, and a straight line made by your finger stay clear, then it is done.
- - Remove from heat and pour in a plate, wait for it to cool then place it in the fridge.
- ***Making the crust:
- - Grease an 8x8 baking pan with few drops of butter and keep aside.
- - Add one tablespoon of butter to the bread and mix with fork or better with your hand.
- - Spread the bread in the greased pan and press it down with your hands or the back of a spoon.
- - Pour the cooled milk mixture on top of the bread and spread evenly.
- - Bake the kunafa in a preheated oven 350F/180C, for half an hour or until the bottom is light brown.
- - Take out Kunafa from oven and after 10 minutes, flip it in a plate.
- - Pour cool syrup on the hot Kunafa. Use only ¼ cup of the syrup, it will be enough.
- - Garnish with pistachios.