Gajar Ka Halwa (Carrot Pudding) – Low Calorie

gajar ka halwa low calorie

Punjab is a state located in the northwest of India. The people of Punjab, are very particular about their food. They always pick fresh ingredients and accept nothing but the best, and you can see that in every angle of their lives, including cooking.

gajar ka halwa 1

Our dessert today is Punjabi in nationality but loved internationally. Gajar ka Halwa is made on weddings and parties, but I’m not waiting for someone to get married or through a party to have this delight.

gajar ka halwa 2

I crave for it often and no one can blame me. It’s amazing how you take a vegetable like carrot and make an awesome dessert out of it. This creamy in texture, rich, and sophisticated delicacy is now diabetic friendly and with less calories :)

gajar halwa low calorie

My method is a bit different, only because I’ve used low fat milk, and low fat milk burns quickly, so I’m not cooking the carrot in milk from the start, but the outcome is amazing.

Gajar Ka Halwah (Carrot pudding)

Serves 2. One serving 204 calories

1 Tablespoon butter

2 cups grated carrot

2 1/2 cups hot water

2 Tablespoons brown sugar

1 cup milk

Pinch of saffron (optional)

1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder

- In hot pan, melt butter.

- Add carrot. Stir over medium heat, for 4 minutes.

- Add hot water. Let simmer until water evaporates.

- Add sugar. Stir. Add milk, saffron, and cardamom. Stir occasionally.

- Gajar halwa is done when the milk evaporates.

- This dish best served warm.

Note: In my videos I use white sugar since a family member can’t tolerate brown sugar.

Cooksnaps

9 Comments on Gajar Ka Halwa (Carrot Pudding) – Low Calorie

• munatycooking
      28/11/2013 at 8:30 am (10 months ago)

Thanks Angie, Hope you try it, it tastes amazing :)

1. Dina
    12/12/2013 at 6:42 pm (9 months ago)

i want to make this. i had it at a restaurant and it’s so good!

2. foodwanderings
    15/12/2013 at 3:15 pm (9 months ago)

Do you know that I never ever had gajar halwa. My mom never made it. She as well as I make milk halwa though. Love the pop of orange color here and you managed to make it low calorie? Brilliant!

• munatycooking
      15/12/2013 at 8:43 pm (9 months ago)

My mom hardly made desserts for us, so I’m compensating now :) … I love Indian sweets and Gajar Ka Halwa is one of them but I only go for homemade, store bought are mostly dry!

3. suja md
    17/12/2013 at 10:56 pm (9 months ago)

yummy looking gajar halwa!! thanks for reminding me now…its carrot season now!!

• munatycooking
      18/12/2013 at 5:52 am (9 months ago)

Thank you Suja. You’ve got a lovely blog :)

4. sanam
    09/02/2014 at 11:27 pm (7 months ago)

Thanks Muna! I made this the other night and every body in my family loved it. It’s definitely a new comfort food of mine. I think I should have finely grated the carrots though. It didn’t look quite right. But the taste was amazing and I loved how it was low-calorie.

• munatycooking
      10/02/2014 at 9:13 am (7 months ago)

Hi Sanam, I’m glad you and your family liked my low calorie version of Gajar Ka Halwa :) …. You are right about finely grating the carrots, that contribute in making it creamy in texture! Hope you try my other recipes too!