The avocado chicken salad is one of those salads that can replace a meal and keep you full for a long time. If you are into healthy eating or not this salad is created to please. In some of the images below, you’ll see my husband enjoying it with some tortilla chips!
I must admit that I don’t post salad recipes often on my blog, in fact, avocado chicken salad inspired me to share different varieties of salads with you. I did share previously a to die for Pasta salad, and my favorite is also carrot salad.
I think what makes this avocado chicken salad the best alternative to a meal, is having all that your body needs in a bowl. Protein, vitamins, minerals, and of course Avocado is known for its heart-healthy monounsaturated fat, besides the amazing different texture of vegetables.
The dressing is simple, but it enhances the flavor of the vegetables used in this salad. If you are not used consuming avocado, then I suggest that you make sure that the dressing seasoning is to your liking, avocado is creamy and a little on the sweet side, if you don’t like that hint of sweetness in your salad, add more lime juice or salt.
How to make an avocado chicken salad
To make this salad a great treat, make sure that the avocado is firm but not rock hard. (hmmm, I’m not sure how to describe this for you!) Well, it should be ripe but not mushy. Using a soft avocado will ruin the flavor of the salad.
The avocado chicken salad is best consumed the same day. The lime juice in the dressing will prevent the avocado from turning dark, but it won’t be effective for long. I suggest that you prepare the dressing and the chicken ahead of time but cut the avocado a few minutes before serving. Keep the salad in the fridge to maintain flavor and texture.
I’d suggest that you use fresh ingredients when making an avocado chicken salad but if you must, use canned corn instead of fresh, the taste will be the same.
Let’s make this salad!
Avocado Chicken Salad Recipe
- 1 chicken breast skinless and boneless
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
TO FRY THE CHICKEN
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
VEGETABLES FOR THE SALAD
- 1 avocado cut in cubes
- 6 cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1 small shallot chopped
- ¼ cup parsley chopped
- 1/3 cup cooked or canned corn
- Juice of one lime
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
COOKING THE CHICKEN BREAST
- Pat the chicken dry and season both sides of the chicken breast.
- In a hot pan, add the butter and olive oil. When hot, add the chicken and fry on high for 3 minutes.
- Flip the chicken and fry the other side for 4 minutes on high. Make sure the chicken is well cooked!
- Remove the chicken from the pan and cover for 5 minutes. Slice the chicken and keep aside.
PREPARING THE DRESSING
- Mix the dressing ingredients and whisk until the dressing look cloudy and a little thick.
MAKING THE SALAD
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl, add the dressing and toss well. Serve immediately.