Pita bread is a soft Arabic bread and is baked in a very hot oven. Today I will teach you how to make pita bread that puffs every time; it’s a fail-proof recipe with a video to prove it! You don’t need an oven for this recipe.
What is pita bread?
Pita bread is sandwich bread. Usually, it is filled with falafel or shawarma; basically, you can fill it with what your heart desire. It made from bread flour, and you can find whole-wheat pita bread too, but since it is a little on the dry side, people tend to like consuming the one made of all-purpose flour or bread flour.
What are the ingredients?
The ingredients are simple:
Flour: You can use all-purpose or bread flour for a softer bread or mix all-purpose with whole wheat flour for a healthier option.
Yeast: I have used active dry yeast in this recipe, it doesn’t have a strong odor like the rest of the yeasts out there in the market. You can use what you have at home, as long as your yeast is alive you are good to use it in this recipe.
Pita bread calories
Pita bread is low in calories, 146 calories per bread. We are not using oil in the recipe nor eggs (some recipes on the internet do call for eggs.) we are keeping it simple and close to the authentic bread that’s baked on a hot stone. Try another Pita Bread Recipe!
How to make homemade pita bread?
There are four things that you have to follow when making this bread, and I can guarantee that it will come out awesome.
One: Make sure the yeast you are using is alive and kicking.
Two: Knead the dough until soft and no longer sticky.
Three: Let the dough proof and double its size.
Four: Do not skip the second proofing.
How to store this bread and keep it soft?
First, you must maintain the soft texture of the bread, and that is by covering it while it’s warm. When the bread is at room temperature place it in a freezer bag and freeze it for up to three months.
To thaw the bread, place it while in the freezer bag on the kitchen counter, it will thaw within a few minutes. To warm it, place it on the hot pan for a few seconds and then flip it.
How to serve it?
Pita bread is delicious when freshly made dipped in your favorite sauce. You can toast the bread and use it in salads.
Place the bread in a hot oven until it is dry, then use the food processor to make bread crumbs.
Pita Bread without Oven
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dry yeast
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ cup plus 5 tablespoons warm water. you may need more or less depending on the flour you are using
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in the warm water, cover and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Mix flour with salt, add the yeast and water mixture and knead for 10 minutes or until smooth. Add more water if necessary. The dough should be smooth and elastic.
- Cover the dough for one hour and a half or until it doubles in size.
- Make six equal size balls from the dough.
- Dust the working surface with flour. Roll out each ball with a rolling pin into 5 - 6 inch circles.
- Place the rolled-out ball on parchment paper and cover with a cloth. Let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Place your nonstick flat pan on medium heat. Place the rolled ball on the pan, flip the bread in about 9 seconds.
- Gently press around the pita bread edges, using a spatula, this will help the bread to puff up.
- When the bread is completely puffed and got brown patches, your pita bread is ready.
- Cover the bread with a cloth to keep it soft.
This post was first published on March 2011. I have updated the text.
This page may contain affiliate
links, which pay me a small commission
For my referral at no extra cost to you.
Thanks for supporting Munatycooking.com