Keeping up with the Orange color theme, today we focus on cheddar cheese and use it in making everyone’s favorite a creamy macaroni and cheese. It is a side dish that sometimes becomes main for it is so tempting and delicious.
In this version, I am adding an egg but feel free to omit the egg if you are allergic or just do not prefer to have it in your creamy macaroni and cheese. The egg adds to the flavor of this dish, but if you really have to leave it out go ahead.
You can use any type of pasta you like but avoid the large size pasta. You also have to cook the pasta used in this recipe a little longer than the time mentioned on the pasta box. I personally never liked my pasta to have a bite to it.
Making Creamy Macaroni and Cheese.
The sauce is indeed creamy and you will see that when done making it. The key here is not to over bake the macaroni and cheese or you will end up with dry pasta and very thick sauce. Also, try to buy fresh mozzarella cheese instead of the previously shredded ones. The shredded and packed mozzarella cheese tend to lose moisture while in the process of packing, hence you don’t get a long lasting creamy texture.
Follow me on Pinterest!
- 1 ½ cup uncooked macaroni
- 2 ½ tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1 ½ cup cold milk
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- 1 large egg
- Black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese to sprinkle on top
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook the macaroni 3 minutes more than the time mentioned on the box. Drain and keep aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Grease 8x8” baking pan.
- In a saucepan, add the butter and when it melts add the flour and cook for two minutes on medium heat while stirring.
- Pour the cold milk in one go over the flour and butter and keep on stirring to avoid creating lumps. Pouring the milk while cold on the butter and flour mixture will not create lumps since the temperature will go low and prevent the flour from cooking for a while.
- Cook the sauce until thick in texture. Now season with salt and black pepper.
- Turn off the heat then add 1 cup cheddar cheese and 1 cup mozzarella cheese to the sauce, adding the cheese to sauce after turning off the heat will give you silky smooth sauce.
- Beat the egg with the evaporated milk and add to the cheese sauce. Mix well.
- Add the macaroni to the sauce, sprinkle half cup shredded cheddar cheese on top and bake for 20 minutes.