Macaroni and cheese – Everyone has his preferred version of mac and cheese and I have at least 7 versions of, however, the macaroni and cheese recipe I have for you today is creamy in texture and is almost like a dream!
Keeping up with the Orange color theme, today we focus on cheddar cheese and use it in making everyone’s favorite a creamy macaroni and cheese.
It is a side dish that sometimes becomes main for it is so tempting and delicious.
In this version of mac and cheese, I am adding an egg but feel free to omit it if you are allergic or just do not prefer to have it in your macaroni and cheese.
The egg adds to the flavor of this dish and makes it creamier, but if you really have to leave it out go ahead.
When you think macaroni and cheese you think elbow macaroni, but you can use any type of pasta you like but avoid the large size pasta. To cover large pasta with cheese sauce you have to make a lot of sauce.
To make sure you have smooth and creamy texture cook the pasta a little longer than the time mentioned on the pasta box.
I personally never liked my pasta to have a bite to it.
How to make make macaroni and cheese
The cheese sauce is indeed creamy, I leave some in the pan enjoy while the macaroni and cheese are baking. Since you have cooked the pasta and the cheese sauce be careful not to over bake the macaroni and cheese or you will end up with dry pasta and very thick sauce.
Also, try to buy fresh mozzarella cheese instead of the previously shredded ones. The shredded and packed mozzarella cheese tend to lose moisture while in the process of packing.
As I have mentioned earlier in this post, everyone has a favorite macaroni and cheese recipe, and I know many of you love having more cheese and butter in your macaroni and cheese.
If you feel like adding more then be my guest but while baking the macaroni and cheese place a larger pan under it in case the cheese melted out of the baking pan.
If you like pasta, I have something for you:
Here you go, Creamy mac and cheese recipe
Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 ½ cup uncooked macaroni
- 2 ½ tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1 ½ cup cold milk
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- 1 large egg
- Black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese to sprinkle on top
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook the macaroni 3 minutes more than the time mentioned on the box. Drain and keep aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Grease 8×8” baking pan.
- In a saucepan, add the butter and when it melts add the flour and cook for two minutes on medium heat while stirring.
- Pour the cold milk in one go over the flour and butter and keep on stirring to avoid creating lumps. Pouring the milk while cold on the butter and flour mixture will not create lumps since the temperature will go low and prevent the flour from cooking for a while.
- Cook the sauce until thick in texture. Now season with salt and black pepper.
- Turn off the heat then add 1 cup cheddar cheese and 1 cup mozzarella cheese to the sauce, adding the cheese to sauce after turning off the heat will give you silky smooth sauce.
- Beat the egg with the evaporated milk and add to the cheese sauce. Mix well.
- Add the macaroni to the sauce, sprinkle half cup shredded cheddar cheese on top and bake for 20 minutes.