Low-calorie Banana Bread Recipe. Easy to make, moist with tender crumbs loaf, you can taste the butter, toasted walnuts, the delicious flavor will make you bake this treat often! Although this recipe is low in calories, it is full of goodness coming from ripe bananas, vanilla, and melted butter! Watch the video tutorial.
Banana Bread Recipe
I have originally published this recipe in 2014, after reading all the rave reviews of Nigella Lawson’s banana bread recipe featured in her cookbook “How to be a domestic Goddess.”
Everyone was eager to try this recipe and share it over the internet, and I don’t blame them, this recipe is a keeper. In this easy banana bread recipe, you will find simple ingredients that can be mixed in a mixing bowl using a wooden spoon or spatula, or a hand mixer.
Now let’s talk about the changes I made to make this a kid-friendly and low-calorie banana bread recipe.
How to Make Low-Calorie Banana bread
The first thing I did was omitting the rum; that step converted this recipe into a kid-friendly and have reduced the calories. I went ahead and removed sultanas (raisins) form this recipe not to reduce the calories but because my family is not fond of raisins in banana bread. I have used three ripe bananas instead of four; this change didn’t affect the texture nor the taste.
Reducing the butter from 10 tablespoons to 6 tablespoons didn’t take away the buttery flavor, you can find it in every bite in this banana bread. I have used one whole egg and one egg white and have reduced the number of toasted walnuts.
Banana Bread Ingredients
Ripe bananas. If you don’t have ripe bananas, you can use a firmer banana, but the flavor will be mild. Don’t use overripe bananas; it will have an off flavor, which I don’t think you’ll appreciate!
Butter. Use unsalted butter and make sure it is melted. When you melt the butter some of the moisture evaporates, and you are left with more fat, and that means more flavor. If you are using salted butter, omit the next ingredient.
Salt. A pinch will enhance the flavor, and you need it to balance the sweetness in sugar and the ripe bananas.
Baking Powder and Baking Soda will help the banana loaf bread to rise.
White granulated Sugar, but if you want a hint of caramel flavor in your banana bread then mix half white sugar with half brown sugar.
Eggs. There are one whole egg and an egg white.
Flour. Use all-purpose flour and make sure to measure it properly and you can do so by fluffing the flour and then spoon it in your measuring cup and then use the back of a butter knife to level off the top of the measuring cup. Do not scoop the flour from the container; you’ll end up with more flour than needed and will have a dry loaf cake.
Nuts. Use walnuts, almonds, or pecans, but make sure to toast the nuts, this brings out a good taste and will maintain a good crunch after baking the banana bread.
How to Make Banana Nut Bread
If you don’t care about the calories that much then you can turn this recipe into banana nut bread, you can do so by adding roughly chopped and toasted nuts to the batter and increase it to ¾ cup.
How to Make Easy Banana Bread
- Preheat the oven. To 350F/180C.
- Line an 8”x5” loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Sift the dry ingredients except for the sugar.
- Mash the banana with a fork.
- In a separate bowl, beat the wet ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix.
- Add the nuts and fold them into the batter.
- Pour the batter in the previously prepared baking loaf pan.
- Bake the banana bread for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Cool on a cooling rack.
How to Store and Freeze Banana Bread
First, allow the loaf bread to cool completely and make sure to write the date on the Ziploc bag or the container you are planning to use.
You can store the loaf sliced or in whole in an airtight container, and it can stay at your countertop and away from the heat for 5 days to one week.
You can also slice the banana bread and place a parchment paper between each slice. Stack the slices, making them look like a whole loaf and then wrap with plastic wrap and then place in a Ziploc bag or airtight container.
More Delicious Loaf Bread Recipes:
Nigella Lawson’s Banana Bread
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 medium whole egg
- 1 medium egg’s white
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 toasted and chopped almonds or walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C. Line an 8”x5” loaf pan with parchment paper or grease it and then dust it with flour.
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Keep aside.
- Mash the banana with a fork.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, vanilla, melted butter, and mashed banana for 2 minutes using a hand mixer on medium speed, or whisk for three minutes.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix well for a few seconds.
- Add the nuts and fold into the batter using a spatula or a wooden spoon for 30 seconds.
- Pour the batter in the previously prepared baking loaf pan. Bake for 45 minutes to one hour, the baking time depends on your oven.
- The banana bread fully baked when a toothpick or a wooden skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Place the loaf bread over a cooling rack to cool completely before slicing or storing.
page may contain affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my
referral at no extra cost to you.
Thanks for supporting Munatycooking.com