Lamb bhindi masala or Bhindi gosht – a dish from beautiful Pakistan. There are two versions of this dish; one is a little dry and the other with gravy. Today, I’m sharing the version with the gravy. I have used the less time-consuming method yet preserved the authentic flavor. The lamb is cooked to perfection; it is tender and has absorbed the flavor from the warm spices. Frying okra maintains its shape, and the stock prepared from the lamb meat adds a fantastic taste. Watch the video tutorials to learn how to make this recipe!
The ingredients in lamb bhindi masala
There are two main ingredients in this dish, the lamb and the okra, and the rest are spices often used in Pakistani and Indian dishes. Please don’t panic when you see the list of spices in the recipe card, they all are easily found in stores.
Lamb. If you can get the shoulder and cut it in small cubes with bone, then that will be perfect. The shoulder becomes tender when cooked and releases a lot of flavor in the stock.
Okra. Fresh okra is the best to use in this recipe. Make sure the okra is not old, and you can find this out by bending the end of the okra. If the end is hard and when you bend it, it snaps and breaks, then it’s an indication that it’s fresh. In the recipe below, I explain how to clean and prepare the okra for cooking.
Onion and garlic.
A mix of Pakistani/Indian spices.
Dry fenugreek leaves. Do not omit this ingredient; it adds a great and unique taste to the dish.
Ghee. You can Make your own.
How to clean and prepare the Okra?
To clean the okra, place the okra in a bowl and sprinkle with one tablespoon of salt, rub the okra with salt for one minute. Rinse the okra with cold water and then pat it dry. Patting the okra dry is an essential step; this will help the okra to maintain its shape while frying, it will also reduce the amount of slime it releases when cooked.
How to make lamb bhindi masala?
The first step is to make the yakhni/stock. In this step, you will be cooking the meat and preparing a stock that you will use later in making the gravy for bhindi gosht.
In a pan, add all the stock/yakhni ingredients, add enough water to cover the meat. Cook on medium-high until the meat is 90% cooked.
Remove the meat from the stock and strain the stock. Discard the onion, garlic, and other spices. Keep the stock aside to use later.
In a large pan, add the ghee and fry the okra for 5 minutes. Remove the okra and add the onion.
Fry the onion until golden, then add the garlic, ginger, and green chilies.
Add the spices and stir for few, then add the tomato puree and cook until the oil separates.
Add the meat and stir for a few minutes, then pour the stock and water.
Add the okra, coriander leaves, and the fenugreek leaves, cook for few minutes and then turn off the heat.
How to turn lamb bhindi masala into a Vegan dish?
You can enjoy a vegan version of this dish just as much; the flavor from the spices will make a delicious gravy. Instead of ghee, use a cooking oil but stay away from coconut oil, it doesn’t taste good in this dish. Instead of lamb stock, use water or vegetable stock.
How to serve Bhindi Gosht?
Lamb Bhindi Masla – Bhindi Gosht
LAMB STOCK – YAKHNI INGREDIENTS
- 1 kilo lamb with bones cut in medium pieces
- 2 medium onion cut in quarters
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 whole green cardamom
- Enough water to cover the lamb
FOR THE BHINDI MASALA
- 2 large tomatoes made into a puree
- 2 green chilies cut in halves
- 12 garlic cloves minced
- 1 ½ tablespoon ginger paste
- 2 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 ½ cup okra cleaned how to clean and cut the okra mentioned in the method below
- ½ cup coriander leaves chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- 3 tablespoon ghee
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon dry fenugreek leaves methi
- Salt to taste
- 1 ½ cup water
TO MAKE THE STOCK/YAKHNI
- In a deep pot, add all the stock ingredients and let it come to a boil, reduce heat to medium high, and cook the lamb until 90% tender.
- Remove the lamb from the stock. Keep aside.
- Strain the stock and discard the spices. Keep aside.
TO MAKE THE LAMB BHINDI MASALA
- First, clean and cut the okra. Place the okra in mixing bowl, add one tablespoon salt, and rub the okra for few seconds. Rinse the okra with cold water and pat it dry.
- Cut the stems and the ends of the okra. If the okra is long, then cut it in half. Keep aside.
- In a large pan, add the ghee and fry the okra for 5 minutes on medium-low heat. Remove the okra from the pan and Keep aside.
- Add the chopped onion to the remaining ghee and fry until golden.
- Add the green chilis, garlic, and ginger to the onion and fry for 1 minute on medium-low heat.
- Add the spices and cook for one minute, then pour the tomato puree and cook until the ghee separates.
- Add the cooked lamb and stir for one minute. Add all the stock and water to the lamb and cook for 3 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the okra and the green coriander leaves, stir for few seconds and let it come to a boil again.
- Add the dry fenugreek leaves and cover the pan for four minutes. Cook on medium low. Turn off the heat and keep the dish covered for 15 minutes.
- Serve with hot Indian bread or plain rice.
- You can use frozen okra, but it might melt while preparing the gravy.
- To save time, you can cook the lamb in the pressure cooker or instant pot, but you have to reduce the amount of water to almost half.
This page may contain affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you.