Have you ever tasted fried chicken wings so crispy, so perfectly seasoned, that you can't stop at just one? That's exactly what you get with this recipe. The flour seasoned with a blend of spices gives the wings a flavor that is both complex and deliciously simple. Plus, it's fried chicken without eggs!
Crispy wings are a classic dish that's loved by many. It's the perfect finger food for parties, game nights, or just an everyday snack. The best part is it's incredibly easy to make at home. With just a few simple ingredients like chicken wings, milk, flour, and a handful of spices, you can whip up a batch of these irresistible wings.
❤️ WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Easy to make: This crispy chicken wings recipe is fairly straightforward and requires only a few basic steps. From cleaning the wings, seasoning the flour, to frying, each step is simple and easy to follow.
- Family-favorite: The taste of these crispy wings is a guaranteed hit with the whole family. The blend of spices like red chili powder, black pepper, garlic, and onion powder makes these wings incredibly flavorful, satisfying even the pickiest of eaters.
- Versatile: This recipe is versatile and allows you to adjust the spice level to your preference. You can omit the red chili powder and add cayenne pepper instead. This lets you tailor the recipe to your family's preferences.
- Crowd pleaser: Whether it is a game night, a family gathering, or a casual dinner, these crispy chicken wings are bound to be a crowd favorite. They're not just delicious, but also fun and easy to eat, making them the perfect chicken party food.
Making these fried chicken without eggs is incredibly easy. More details about the ingredients and measurements are in the recipe card below!
Chicken wings: These are the stars of our crispy fried chicken wings. Clean them well to remove any residue and small feathers. Remember to pat them dry before you start cooking. This will make sure that they get that crispy finish when fried.
Milk: This is used to marinate the chicken wings. It helps tenderize the meat and also allows the flavors of the seasonings to penetrate deeper into the wings.
Oil: The medium for deep frying our chicken wings. Make sure it is hot enough before you begin frying. A quick test is to add a pinch of flour to it, if it bubbles immediately, you're good to go.
All-purpose flour: This is what we'll use to dredge our chicken wings. It'll give them a nice coating that'll turn beautifully crispy when fried.
Red chili powder: This gives a kick to our chicken wings. If you're not a fan of heat, feel free to use less or even omit it. Alternatively, you can use cayenne pepper instead.
Black pepper powder: A classic seasoning that compliments the flavor of chicken perfectly.
Garlic powder: This will add a subtle hint of garlic to your wings, giving them an extra flavor dimension.
Onion powder: Similar to the garlic powder, this will add a bit of sweetness and depth to your wings.
Allspice powder: This brings a warm, aromatic note to our wings. This spice is often used in savory dishes for its unique blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves flavors.
🔪 HOW TO FRY CHICKEN WINGS
Making these crispy chicken wings is incredibly simple and gives great results every single time. Here's how to do it step by step:
Heat the oil: Start by pouring enough oil into a deep frying pan to cover the chicken wings. Turn the heat on medium-high and let the oil heat up.
Prepare the seasoned flour: Mix your flour with your chosen seasoning in a separate bowl and set it aside for later use.
Coat the wings: Dip each chicken wing into the seasoned flour, then into some milk, and once more into the seasoned flour. Make sure all wings are coated evenly.
Fry the wings: Carefully place the wings into the hot oil and let them fry for about nine minutes. Then flip each wing over and fry for an additional five minutes on the other side.
Check the chicken: To determine if the wings are cooked, prick them with a knife. If the knife goes through the chicken easily and no blood oozes out, they're done. If not, let them cook for another three minutes.
Drain the wings: Once the wings are cooked, remove them from the oil and place them on a kitchen towel to get rid of any excess oil.
Serve: Now your crispy chicken wings are ready to be served. Enjoy them while they're hot!
👩🏽🍳 PRO TIPS
Properly Clean and Dry the Chicken Wings: Before you begin, make sure to use the sharp side of the knife to gently scrub the skin of the chicken wings to remove residue and small feathers. Pat them dry and set aside. This helps make sure that seasoning adheres better and aids in achieving a crispy outer layer.
Double Dredge for Extra Crispiness: For extra crispy wings, dip each wing in the seasoned flour, then in milk, and then again in the seasoned flour. This double-dredging technique creates a thick coating that turns wonderfully crispy when fried.
Make sure the Oil is at the Right Temperature: To check if the oil is ready for frying, add a pinch of flour to it. If it bubbles immediately, it is good to go. This step is crucial for achieving a crispy texture and fully cooked wings.
Check for Doneness: To make sure that the chicken wings are cooked through, prick them with a knife. If it goes through the chicken smoothly, the wings are done. If they feel tough or blood oozes out, they need a few more minutes
Drain Excess Oil: After frying, place the cooked chicken wings on a cooling rack to remove excess oil. This step will guarantee that your wings are crispy, not greasy.
Add a Citrus Twist: For a zesty variation, add the zest of one lemon to the flour seasoning. The citrus will cut through the richness of the chicken and provide a refreshing contrast to the heat of the chili powder.
Try it Herby: If you're a fan of herbs, this variation is a must-try. Add a tablespoon each of dried rosemary, thyme, and oregano to the flour seasoning. These herbs will give your crispy chicken wings a Mediterranean touch.
Go Cajun: For a Southern touch, replace the allspice powder with a teaspoon of Cajun seasoning. This will give your chicken wings a spicy, robust flavor that's characteristic of Louisiana cuisine.
🍽️ HOW TO SERVE
- For an ultimate game night experience, pair these crispy chicken wings with a side of celery sticks and blue cheese dip. The crunch of the celery and the tanginess of the dip compliment the spicy wings perfectly.
- Looking for a hearty dinner? Serve these crispy chicken wings with a side of mashed potatoes and gravy. The creamy potatoes and rich gravy balance the crunch and spice of the wings.
- Crispy chicken wings also make a great party appetizer. Simply serve them on a platter with a variety of dips like BBQ sauce, honey mustard, and ranch dressing for a crowd-pleasing starter.
- For a fun family dinner, serve these crispy chicken wings with a side of corn on the cob and delicious coleslaw. This is a combo everyone will love!
💬 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Start by using the sharp side of a knife to gently scrub the skin of the chicken wings. This helps remove any residue and small feathers. Once done, pat the wings dry and set them aside.
Milk is used in this recipe to help the seasoned flour stick to the chicken wings. However, if you prefer not to use milk, you can substitute it with a beaten egg or even buttermilk.
The secret to crispy wings lies in the double-dipping process. Dipping the wings in the seasoned flour, then in the milk, and again in the flour before frying guarantees a thick, crispy coating. Make sure your oil is hot enough, and don't overcrowd the pan, as this can lower the oil's temperature and make your wings less crispy.
Refrigerate: Once your chicken wings have cooled down, store them in an airtight container. They can stay fresh in the fridge for up to four days.
Freeze: Freezing is not the best option for crispy wings as it can make them soggy. However, if you must freeze them, make sure to thaw them properly in the refrigerator before reheating in the oven.
Reheating Instructions: To reheat your fried chicken wings without losing their crispness, preheat your oven to a moderate temperature. Place the wings on a baking sheet and heat for about ten minutes. This method guarantees that the wings are heated evenly without drying them out.
📣 MORE CHICKEN RECIPES YOU'LL LIKE
⭐PLEASE RATE AND REVIEW
If you have tried this recipe and liked it, please give it a 5-star rating and leave a comment below with your experience!
Crispy Spicy Chicken Wings
- 8 chicken wings cleaned
- 1 cup milk
- Enough oil to deep fry
TO SEASON THE FLOUR
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder you can use less.
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon allspice powder
- use the sharp side of the knife to gently scrub the skin to remove residue and small feathers. Pat dry and keep aside.
- In a deep frying pan, add enough oil to cover the wings. Keep oil on medium high heat.
- Mix the flour with flour seasoning and keep aside.
- Dip the chicken wing in the seasoned flour, then dip it in milk, and finally dip it again in the seasoned flour. Do the same with all the wings.
- Fry the wings in the hot oil for 9 minutes, flip and fry for 5 minutes on the other side.
- To check if the chicken wing is cooked, prick the chicken wing with a knife, if the knife goes through the chicken smoothly it means it’s done. If it feels tough and or blood ooze out, cook for another three minutes.
- Place the cooked chicken wings on kitchen towel to remove excess oil.
- Serve hot.
- Make sure to pat dry the chicken before dredging it in the seasoned flour.
- The oil is ready to fry the chicken wings if you add a pinch of flour to it and it bubbled immediately.
- Please check the post above to learn how I clean the chicken wings.
- You can omit the red chili powder and add cayenne pepper instead.