Making your own fluffy cinnamon rolls can’t be easier, most of the ingredients be it for the dough or the filling, are simple and mixing them together won’t consume much of your time. Cinnamon is very healthy spice and listing its benefits can take a whole page, but that is not the only reason why having cinnamon rolls is a joy.
Ingredients: The dough
– 1 cup warm milk
– 4 cups flour
– 1 tablespoon dry yeast *
– 1/4 cup butter
– 1/4 cup sugar
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 2 tablespoons vanilla
– 1 egg (for brushing the rolls)
Ingredients: The filling
– 1/4 cup butter
– 4 tablespoons sugar
– 3 tablespoons cinnamon powder
– 1/2 cup pecans (optional)
Ingredients: The topping
– 1 cup custard sugar
– 3 tablespoons milk
– 1 teaspoon vanilla
1- In a bowl, mix warm milk with sugar and dry yeast. Leave it for 10 minutes.
2- In another bowl add, flour, salt, butter and mix well.
3- Add the milk yeast mixture to the flour and knead.**
4- Keep kneading for at least 6 – 7 minutes or until the dough becomes smooth and stops sticking.
5- Cover with wet cloth and leave it to rise in a warm place, it might take an hour or two depending on the yeast you used and the warmth of the place.
6- On a dry surface sprinkle flour and roll the dough to a rectangle shape, it should be around 1/4 inch thick.
THE FILLING :
1-Mix the butter, sugar and cinnamon powder well. Spread it on the dough,
sprinkle the pecans. from the longer side roll the dough. Pinch the edge
together to seal well.
2-Cut the roll into one inch slices, will make around 14 slices.
3-Cover the cinnamon rolls and let it rise for 40 minutes. Brush with a
4-Bake the rolls in a preheated oven 350F/180C/ gas mark 4, for 15
minutes. Turn the oven off and switch the broiler on. It will take
approximately 5 minutes to turn the rolls golden brown.
– Mix 1 cup of custard sugar with 2 – 3 tablespoons of milk,
pour on the rolls, sprinkle raisins.
* You can help your dough rise faster, by placing it on a warm water bath and cover it with warm wet cloth.** If you find the dough sticking to your hand and bowl, sprinkle a teaspoon flour on your hands, and rub them together, this will make your hand clean and kneading will become easier. Never add flour to the dough, always dust your hand with flour when working with a sticky dough.