Apple Crumble is a delicious, dessert with an unbelievable apple filling that’s tender, with a crumbly and flaky topping. It’s the perfect fall dessert flavored with cinnamon and nutmeg.
It bakes perfectly every time you make it and only takes 10 minutes to prep! It’s a warm and cozy dessert that’s old-fashioned yet classic.
🥘 INGREDIENTS YOU'LL NEED
Apples: We'll use 2 pounds or 1 kilogram of apples any type you have available (about five medium apples).
All-purpose flour: Flour help us get the right consistency for our filling.
Spices: Apples go incredibly well with warm spices like cinnamon and nutmeg.
Lemon juice: Lemon juice creates a barrier between the apple's flesh and the air, which stops the apple slices from oxidizing and turning brown.
Rolled oats: Add nutrients and extra crunch.
Brown sugar: Dark brown sugar provides a deep flavor and beautiful richness.
Butter: Cold butter cut into cubes adds buttery-rich flavor to our topping.
🔪 HOW TO MAKE
Peal the apples and cut them in cubes, then add them to the baking dish. Now add the filling ingredients to the apples and mix them well.
Wait for three minutes until the apples release its juices and mix again.
Add all the toppings ingredients except the butter to a bowl and mix well.
Add the butter to the previous ingredients and rub it with your fingers.
Sprinkle the toppings over the apples, covering all the apples with them, and then bake.
Serve hot with ice cream on top.
💭 COOKING TIPS
- You can make this ahead. Cover the apples with the toppings, then cover them with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Bake it the next day.
- Use more than one type of apple to have different textures.
- Mix all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour for the topping.
- Always preheat the oven 20 to 30 minutes before baking to have a crispy, flaky topping.
📖 DELICIOUS VARIATIONS
Nuts: Use your favorite nuts like almond pistachios or pecans.
Spices: Get more flavor by adding ginger powder along with cinnamon and nutmeg.
Fruits: Instead of just apples, add pears or slices of peach.
Frozen fruits: If you don't have fresh fruit, use canned fruit but drain it from the syrup. You can also use frozen fruits.
💬 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Apple crumble is a British dessert that originated during World War II's food rationing.
You can use just about any fresh apple variety that’s crisp and fresh. Some great options include Honeycrisp, Pink Lady, and Fuji.
Apple crisp topping typically contains oats and calls for the use of melted butter.
Apple crumbles topping is a traditional crumb topping, similar to what you would find on crumb cake.
Cobblers have biscuit or scone-like toppings, such as this Peach Cobbler and this Apple Cobbler.
Besides being an easy recipe to follow, with a delicious buttery, crumbly topping, this Apple Crumble is seriously a crowd pleaser!
🍲 DESSERT LIKE APPLE CRUMBLE YOU'LL LOVE
🌡️ STORING AND REHEATING
Store? I'm not sure anything will be left to store!!
Fridge: When the apple crumble is completely cool, place it in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Freezer: Wrap the apple crumble with aluminum foil and place it in a Ziplock bag or a plastic container for up to 4 months.
To reheat it, microwave for 30 seconds (depending on the size of the portion).
To reheat frozen crumble: Take it out of the freezer and straight to a preheated oven and reheat for a few minutes. No need to thaw.
Apple Crumble Recipe
FOR THE FILLING
- 2 pounds apples
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
FOR THE TOPPING
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ½ cup butter cut in cubes
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
MAKING THE FILLING
- Peel and cut the apples into cubes. Place them in the baking pan.
- Add the rest of the filling ingredients and mix well. Let the apples release its juices for three minutes and then mix again.
MAKING THE TOPPING
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
- In a bowl add all the ingredients for the topping, rub the butter into the ingredients using your fingertips.
- Sprinkle the toppings over the apples, covering all the apples with it.
- Place the baking pan in the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove baking pan from the oven and let it cool a little.
- This dessert is best served warm with ice cream.
- Use any type of apples available to you. However, it is best to use Honeycrisp, Pink Lady, and Fuji.
- You can make this dessert a day ahead. (the post has the steps).
- Apple crumble stores well, up to five days in the fridge and up to 4 months in the freezer.
- Serve it with ice cream or custard sauce.
Looks amazing topped with ice cream!
Ice cream made it super addictive 😀
This looks so yummy! Going to try out this recipe this weekend for Labor Day.
Hi Brittany! Hope you enjoy it as much as we did 🙂
YUM!!! Love apple desserts for fall!
Crystal // Dreams, etc.
This looks so good! It's the perfect recipe for fall.
It is and it's easy to make too.
This looks delicious! I"m looking forward to going apple picking this fall and will definitely keep this recipe in mind!
Wow! I love picking apples too, hope you enjoy yourself.
This looks delicious! Looking at the pics, have made me hungry haha. I'll have to try this recipe myself.
LOL! I'm sure you'll love it 🙂
Oh wow this looks so good!! Just in time for fall!
Yum this looks so good! Can't wait for all the fall apple recipes
Thank you, Rachel 🙂
This looks so yummy~
Jay | Life of Creed
Looks yummy! My daughter would love this!
Thank you, Jay 🙂
Such a delicious fall treat! I had this in England once and they paired it with custard instead of ice cream which I think I prefer! Thanks for sharing 🙂