I bring you a Mushroom and Onion Galette recipe! It is great for breakfast or even brunch. I understand why people love Galette, the crust alone is delicious and when you add to it caramelized mushroom and onion it becomes a hit every time you make it.
What is Mushroom and Onion Galette?
Galette is an open pie crust; its ingredients are the same used in different pie crusts like apple pie crust, pumpkin pie crust, or sweet potato crust. Butter, flour, salt, and chilled water are what make the crust dough, you do not knead the pie dough but mix the ingredients and form a disk which you have to chill in the fridge for few minutes.
What’s different is that you won’t need a pie dish to bake this pie, you fill the center with your chosen filling and fold the edges of the pie up and to the center of the pie.
Can you make the Galette dough in advance?
Yes, it is best to make the dough few hours in advance or leave it overnight in the fridge wrapped in a plastic wrap. Giving the dough enough time to rest, enhances its flavor. However, the dough must be wrapped in a plastic wrap to avoid other odors in the fridge to get to the dough and will help it get firm without getting dry. When rolling a dry dough, it cracks and troubles you while rolling.
Can we freeze Galette dough?
After wrapping the dough in a plastic wrap, you can freeze it up to two months. When you are ready to use the dough, place it over the kitchen counter until it’s cold to the touch but still a little firm, and then proceed as per the recipe.
Can we omit the egg in this recipe?
You don’t have to add the egg and keep it vegetarian.
Mushroom and Onion Galette Recipe
FOR THE DOUGH:
- ½ cup + 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon chilled water
- 3 tablespoon chilled butter
- Pinch of salt
FOR THE FILLING:
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 11 button mushrooms sliced
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup your choice of grated cheese
MAKING THE DOUGH:
- In a bowl, add the flour, salt, butter, and rub the ingredients between your hands or the tip of your fingers. You can also use a fork. Add the chilled water and mix for few seconds. After mixing well, you should get a wet sand-like texture.
- Bring the dough together and form into a disk. Wrap with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
MAKING THE FILLING:
- In a small pan, add the olive oil and butter. Add the onion and sauté until the onion is light brown.
- Add the mushrooms, garlic, and sauté until the mushrooms are brown.
- Add the spices and mix well. Cook on medium low for two minutes.
- Let the mixture cool to room temperature.
MAKING THE MUSHROOM AND ONION GALETTE:
- Preheat the oven to 400F/220C. Place a parchment paper on your baking sheet. Keep aside.
- Lightly dust your working surface with flour. Place the dough on your working surface and roll out to 6 or 7 inches.
- Place the cheese in the middle of the rolled dough and place the mushroom and onion filling on top.
- Fold the dough edges, up and to the center, do this clockwise.
- You can brush the edges with milk if you wish.
- Bake the Galette for 20 minutes, remove it from the oven and crack and an egg in the middle of the gallate. Place the mushroom and onion Galette back in the oven and bake for another 10 minutes.