Easy Baked Chicken Meatballs made with ground chicken and seasoned with a blend of earthy and warm spices like paprika, black pepper, and onion powder plus other flavor-enhancing ingredients, all are mixed in one bowl. These chicken meatballs are perfectly tender and comforting homemade appetizers or can be a meal if served with pasta salad on the side. Please watch the video to see how juicy these meatballs are and how simple it is to prepare this healthy delight!
What are Baked Chicken Meatballs?
Chicken Meatballs are finger food served at parties or when camping. Despite being baked, these meatballs are juicy from the inside and golden from the outside. You can make them small or medium in size, and you can serve them with mashed potato or in a sandwich with your favorite spread.
What Ingredients go into Baked Chicken Meatballs?
Flour: I have used flour instead of bread crumbs simply because adding flour give the baked chicken meatballs a fluffy and light texture.
Ground Chicken: when the chicken is minced, it becomes tender, so even if you are mincing chicken breast, you can use it in this recipe and enjoy tender meatballs.
Spices: Paprika, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and salt. You can add your touch and blend of spices, but I suggest you follow this recipe as is the first time, so you get a better idea on what spice to use next time.
Garlic and Onion: in this recipe, we are adding both onion and garlic in powder form and fresh. The fresh garlic and onion’s taste changes when cooking or baking and turn a little sweeter and milder. The garlic and onion powder will bring out the tastes of both vegetables.
Whole Egg: Besides adding flavor, it keeps the chicken meatballs tender.
Grated Parmesan Cheese: The cheese adds a great depth of flavor and richness to the baked chicken meatballs.
How to Make the Best Chicken Meatballs
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line an 18”x 13” baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil and keep aside.
- In a bowl, add all the ingredients and mix well.
- To form the balls, you can oil a medium-size cookie scoop and scoop from the mixture and form equal size balls, or you can oil your hands with cooking oil and form equal size balls from the mixture and place the balls on the parchment paper, you should form 16 balls. Please read note #1.
- Bake the chicken meatballs until cooked through, about 25 minutes.
Can I Use Ground Turkey in this Recipe?
Yes! Ground turkey is perfect for this recipe too, and the number of spices in this recipe will add more to its taste, however, to make the turkey meatballs tender add one tablespoon fat in the mixture, olive oil or even melted unsalted butter will work.
The baking time should be the same.
Can I Fry the Meatballs?
The meatballs cook faster when fried, and the taste is going to be awesome! If you decide on frying the chicken meatballs, then follow these steps:
- In a pan, add a quarter cup of oil. Use unflavored oil.
- Keep the heat on medium-high.
- After shaping the meatballs roll them in flour and then fry them.
- The meatballs should cook in 6 to 7 minutes depending on their size.
How to Serve the Chicken Meatballs?
- You can add the meatballs into your pasta sauce.
- Make a chicken meatball sandwich.
- Dip them in your favorite sauce.
- Serve the meatballs with some mashed potatoes.
How to Make the Meatballs Gluten-Free?
Use almond flour or gluten-free flour. Both will work fine in this recipe.
Can I Freeze the Chicken Meatballs?
If you are using frozen ground chicken then do not freeze the meatballs while raw, it won’t be good for your health.
When using fresh ground chicken, make the meatballs and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover the meatballs with a plastic wrap and freeze. When hard, place the balls in a Ziploc bag and freeze for up to 2 months.
To cook the frozen meatballs, allow them to thaw completely in the fridge and then bake in a preheated oven as per the instruction below.
More Meatball Recipes
Outstanding Baked Chicken Meatballs
- 500 gm/ 18 oz/ 1 lb. ground chicken
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon paprika powder
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning you can use oregano instead
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180 C. Line a baking sheet 18”x13” with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, add all the ingredients and mix well.
- If the mixture is too sticky and you can’t easily form the balls, cover the mixture with a plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 20 to 30 minutes. Proceed to the next step.
- Oil a meatball or an ice cream scoop and scoop from the mixture and release the balls on the baking sheet. You can also wet or oil your hands and form equal size balls and then place them on the baking sheet.
- Bake the chicken meatballs in the middle shelf of your oven for 25 minutes.
- Serve hot with your favorite sauce or mashed potato.
- If the meatball mixture is too wet and is difficult for you to form the balls, cover it and refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes and then try to oil or wet your hands with water and form the balls.
- You can make chicken mince in a blender or food processor. Remove the skin and any bones from the chicken piece you are using. Cut the chicken into small cubes and in batches add it to the food processor or blender. Make sure to clean the blender and food processor thoroughly before and after use.
- To make a smaller size meatball, bake for 20 to 22 minutes.
- If your oven does not prompt you when it reaches the desired temperature, turn the oven on for 15 minutes and then place the meatballs inside it to bake.
may contain affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at
no extra cost to you.
Thanks for supporting Munatycooking.com