Making a homemade Pizza is not only fun for kids because they get to play with the dough and get the chance to have any topping they want and as much, but homemade pizza always has a different flavor that you won’t find in any famous Italian restaurant, maybe because you make it with love!
How to make homemade pizza dough?
To make good pizza dough, you have to make sure that the yeast is not expired. To make sure that your hard work on kneading the dough won’t go to waste, it is best to test the yeast.
Place the warm water, sugar, and yeast in a bowl and mix until the sugar dissolves. Cover the bowl and let it set in a warm place for 10 minutes. Look for the froth; if you see it, then you are good to go for the next step.
In a mixing bowl, add the flour, salt, and olive oil, add the yeast mixture gradually while kneading. Depending on the brand of the flour you are using, you might need less or more water and to be on the safe side, do not dump the yeast mixture all at once on the flour.
Knead the dough for ten minutes to get a smooth and non-sticky dough. Cover the dough and let it rise in a warm place for one hour and a half to two hours.
This recipe will make one 12” thick pizza crust or two 12“ thin pizza crust.
How to make juicy homemade meatballs?
Use 400 grams of ground beef. Add all the meatball ingredients in a bowl and mix well for one minute to make sure that the ingredients are well combined. Form 10 equal size balls and keep aside.
Heat the frying oil on medium high heat and fry the meatballs. Usually the meatballs need 8 to 10 minutes to cook and get a beautiful brown color.
You can make the balls smaller or bigger, it’s really up to you, but in this recipe, we will cut the meatballs in half and then place them over the pizza. If you make medium size or small meatballs, there will be some leftovers because using all the meatballs on the pizza will make the homemade pizza look crowded.
If you are using the previous dough to make two thin crust pizza then you can use all the meatballs you cooked.
The pizza sauce!
You might cringe here, but I made this recipe to make things easier on you in the kitchen, have your kids help in assembling the pizza, and get you out of the kitchen quick, so I used Ketchup instead of a pizza sauce.
I promise that your kids and family will enjoy every bite. There is a lot of flavor in the meatballs, and the topping has different flavors too, using ketchup will not ruin this pizza recipe.
Homemade Pizza Recipe with Meatballs
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup warm water you may need less or more when kneading
- 2 teaspoon yeast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 400 gm ground beef
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon dry oregano
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ** Enough oil to fry the meatballs.
- 1 medium size onion cut in thin slices
- ½ green bell pepper cut in slices
- ½ red bell pepper cut in slices
- 7 button mushrooms cut in medium slices
- ½ cup whole black olives pitted
- 1 ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cup ketchup
MAKING THE PIZZA DOUGH
- Mix water with yeast and sugar, keep aside for 10 -15 minutes to proof and to make sure that the yeast is good to use. When you see the froth go for the next step.
- In a bowl, whisk or sift flour with salt and then add the olive oil. Gradually add the yeast mixture and knead for 10 minutes. You should get a smooth elastic dough that does not stick to your hand.
- Cover and let it rise in warm place for an hour and a half to two hours, or until it doubles in size.
- Punch the dough and knead for 1 minute. Lightly grease the baking sheet/pan with olive oil. Place the dough in the baking pan and using your hands spread the dough to the shape and thickness you desire. In this recipe, I used a 12-inch pan to make one thick pizza crust.
- After spreading the dough evenly in the baking sheet, poke the whole dough with a fork to prevent it from rising a lot while baking.
MAKING THE MEATBALLS
- In a bowl, add all the meatball ingredients and mix for one minute.
- Form 10 equal size balls and keep aside. You can make smaller or bigger meatballs; it depends on you.
- In a frying pan add enough oil to cover half the meatballs.
- Fry the meatballs for 8 minutes on medium high.
- Place the meatballs on kitchen towel. (if you are making one thick crust pizza don’t use all the meatballs because it will look crowded.)
MAKING THE PIZZA
- Spread the ketchup evenly over the pizza dough.
- Cut the meatballs in half and place them evenly over the pizza.
- Spread the rest of the vegetables evenly on the pizza dough.
- Spread the mozzarella cheese evenly and avoid spreading over the edges of the dough, since that will make the cheese burn while the pizza is baking.
- Bake the pizza in a preheated oven of 400F/200C. Bake for 16 minutes or until the dough is cooked.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves and serve hot.
If you’ve been following me on Instagram, you’d notice the new Head of Quality Control and his name is Popcorn!