I enjoy making Oven Baked Chicken and Rice, it’s a quick dish to make, and I can take care of other chores and not stand in the kitchen the whole time. This chicken and rice recipe is my go-to dinner when there are so much to do around the house or on my blog. With not much effort you will enjoy tender seasoned chicken, over fluffy and flavorful rice! Watch the video for the tutorial.
Easy Chicken and Rice Recipe
The whole process takes place in the oven, and because we are using cubes of chicken thighs, the flavor of the spices and the peppers are tasted in every bite, the chicken is tender and is baked to perfection.
After making this recipe, you will be able to add your touch to it, with your favorite spices and vegetables. You can turn this chicken and rice recipe into a seafood recipe but don’t use this recipe with red meat. Red meat requires a longer cooking time.
Follow these steps for perfect Oven baked chicken and rice
- Use long-grain rice; it has less starch and will come out fluffy. I found the best result when soaking the rice 20 minutes before cooking on stovetop or baking.
- Always preheat the oven, preheating the oven to the right temperature makes the food cook faster and evenly.
- Instead of water and for more flavor, you can use chicken stock but make sure it is boiling when you pour it over the rice.
- I have used cubes of skinless chicken thighs, but you can use chicken wings instead. Do not use chicken thighs or breast with skin on, the chicken will release a lot of oil, and the chicken and rice will come out greasy.
- When using chicken breast, bake the chicken breast for 10 minutes instead of 15 minutes. Overcooking the chicken breast will make it dry.
Adding more flavor to your oven baked chicken and rice
It is not necessary but will add more flavor to this chicken and rice dish. In a saucepan add a tablespoon of butter and when it melts add one crushed garlic. Sauté the garlic for few seconds without burning it or allowing it to turn light brown.
Remove the garlic from the butter. Pour the flavored butter over the chicken and rice and mix. Mmmmm, Yum!
More Chicken and rice recipes:
Oven Baked Chicken and Rice Recipe
- 1 cup skinless and boneless chicken cubes. I have used thighs
- ¼ cup red bell pepper chopped
- ⅓ cup yellow bell pepper chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 cup long-grain rice basmati is best for this recipe
- ¼ teaspoon cumin powder
- Salt to taste if using stock then reduce the amount of salt.
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 ½ tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cup boiling water or your favorite stock
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- Wash and soak the long grain rice (I have used basmati) for 20 minutes in warm water.
- In a 9 – inch baking pan, add the oil and butter. Add the onion, the bell peppers and mix.
- Add the garlic and tomato and mix again. Bake uncovered for 8 minutes.
- To the baking pan, add the chicken, all the spices, salt, and the tomato paste, mix well and cover with aluminum foil — Bake for 15 minutes.
- Uncover the pan and add the drained long grain rice. Mix the rice with the chicken for a few seconds.
- Pour the boiling water (or stock if you prefer) over the rice and chicken — cover and bake for 25 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley.
If your oven does not prompt you when it reaches the desired temperature, then keep it on for 15 minutes before using it.
This page may contain affiliate
links, which pay me a small commission
For my referral at no extra cost to you.
Thanks for supporting Munatycooking.com
I love fuss free meals like this..delicious and healthy too!
Yes! Fuss free and delicious 🙂
Jeff the Chef
This oven-baked chicken dish looks like wonderful comfort food.
Thank you Jeff 🙂
Could you please specify how much oil and butter that needs to be used in step 3?
It's 2 tablespoon oil and one tablespoon butter 🙂
Did everything to a T and the rice was no where near done in the past 25 min of cooking!! 😠
Hi Nicole, I'm sorry the recipe didn't come out right for you! I can think of a few reasons.
Maybe you didn't soak the rice for 20 minutes in warm water before using it in the recipe.
The oven was not preheated.
You didn't add boiling water to the rice.
You didn't cover the pan properly and steam escaped during the cooking time.
If you have used brown rice or parboiled rice then the cooking method in this recipe wouldn't work.
I hope this helped.
Soaked the rice. Preheated the oven. Added boiling liquid. Sealed tightly. Ended up with mushy rice in excess liquid.
Hi, This can happen if, the oven didn't reach the temperature mentioned in the recipe, or, the type of rice you have used may not need soaking! I hope this helped.