It’s easy to fall in love with Mexican food, the flavor is on point, the ingredients are available to everyone, and there is something magical about it that will make you always ask for more. Arroz Con Pollo or Mexican Chicken and Rice is an addictive dish, takes less time to prepare, and is impressive enough to be served at parties.
Making Mexican Chicken and Rice.
The rice on its own is delicious thanks to the combination of warm spices used like cumin and garlic. You can cut the cooking time by 70% if you use a pressure cooker. Still, you can do without the pressure cooker and make a perfect, fluffy rice.
The chicken is baked in the oven, this will cut down the amount of oil used. I didn’t marinate the chicken although you can. The seasoning was perfect and in the method below, I show you a simple way to give the chicken an extra smoky flavor.
It's fun to make it.
If you are fond of Mexican food, you’ll enjoy making this dish at home. In some recipes, the amount of heat is too much for me and my family so I have reduced it to mild in this recipe.
Mexican Chicken and Rice is one of the most favorited Mexican recipes and I hope that you’d give it a try.
If you want to try another Mexican delight, check out my Guacamole Dip Recipe.
Let’s make some Mexican Chicken and Rice!
- MEXICAN RICE
- 1 ½ cup white long grain rice washed and soaked
- 1 teaspoon leveled salt adjust as per your taste
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon
- MEXICAN CHICKEN
- 3 chicken thighs with skin
- 1 ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ + ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- MAKING MEXICAN RICE
- In a pan, add olive oil and when hot add the onion, garlic, and tomato, cook on medium high until the oil separates from the mixture.
- Add the rest of ingredients except the water and rice, stir for two minutes on medium heat.
- Add the water and when it comes to a boil add the rice. When it comes to a boil again, turn the heat to low, cover the pan tightly and let it cook for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes uncover and stir the rice gently for few seconds. Cover and cook for another 15 to 17 minutes.
- Fluff the rice using a fork and serve.
- *** If using a pressure cooker, at step #3 Add 2 cups of water and immediately add the rice. Do not wait for it to come to a boil. Cover and cook on high. Wait for one whistle. Lower the heat and wait for 20 seconds then turn off the heat. Let the pressure cooker release the pressure (steam) naturally before you open it.
- MAKING MEXICAN CHICKEN
- In a bowl add all the ingredients and mix well. I didn’t allow it to marinate but you can for an hour or so.
- Preheat oven to 390F/198C.
- Place the chicken in a non-stick pan or you can line the baking pan with aluminum foil to prevent the chicken from sticking.
- Bake for 40 minutes, then cover with aluminum foil and bake for another 20 minutes or until cooked.
- To give a smoky taste and aroma. Burn a charcoal and place it in the baking pan with the chicken, pour one tablespoon oil on the charcoal and cover the pan tightly for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the rice and serve hot. This dish is best served with plain yogurt.
Follow me on Pinterest!
What amazing colour and flavour! I can't wait to try it, Muna.
This sounds absolutely delicious, I am a big fan of chicken dishes and this sounds like it would be so full of flavour.
It is! Hope you enjoy it as much as we did 🙂
I love Mexican food. I agree that it's always rich in flavor. This chicken and rice looks amazing! The guacamole looks like it would be a great addition to the meal. I'll me saving both recipes to make this weekend!
Mexican food is a blessing for real, all those different flavors and the blend of warm spices!
Corinne & Kirsty
I was already hungry but now I am starving. This looks so good! I love mexican food, always so tasty! And the recipe sounds quite easy to make! xx corinne
Thanks for your kind words 🙂
Mexican food is my WEAKNESS! I can't wait to try this chicken rice!It looks so amazing!
I'm sure you'll love it 🙂
My kiddos and I love Mexican dishes of all kinds! My son would especially love the rice in this recipe!
When I started cooking Mexican food my family keeps asking for more new dishes, the flavor is just amazing!
Helene Cohen Bludman
Mmmm my family would love this. I can't wait to try it.
Oh yum. I'm all about Mexican food and this looks fabulous.
Thanks Amber 🙂
Hi Muna! The recipe looks great! I have tho triple it for my house. We eat a lot. Thanks for sharing!
Hey Dona! Thanks for kind comment and I hope your family enjoys it 🙂
Ana De- Jesus
I really love Mexican cuisine and while I am a vegetarian, your recipe has inspired me to make a quorn chicken version. Plus I love rice so whats not to like? x
Oh my your post is definitely makes me super hungry this dinner time. Me likey!
Yum it looks so delicious and full of flavors! Definitely a must-try!
Leo T. Ly
What a great recipe and the pictures looks mouth watering. I love to try other ethnic foods, but in the area that I live, I don't know of many Mexican restaurants. This would be a fun night to cook with the family during the weekend.
Hi Leo, My family love this dish so very much and I hope it finds a place in your favorite list 🙂
It does look like such a great recipe here. I know I would love the Mexican chicken as I always love the flavors in Mexican food.
Mexican recipes are most delicious, I'm sure you'll enjoy this one.
I enjoy the rich flavors and colors of Mexican food. It is truly the ultimate comfort food and your featured dishes fit well.
Thank you Elizabeth, this means so much to me!
I love this. Is this gluten free?
Yes it is!
Oh, this Mexican chicken rice looks so delicious and making me hungry! You make it so good, and picture perfect!
Thank you Blair! This is a delicious dinner and the chicken turns out juicy and tender with fluffy rice.