Creamy garlic chicken is delicious comfort food and easy to make in one skillet. It has tender chicken thighs smothered in a rich, creamy, flavorful garlic gravy. You can serve in less than 30 minutes, and enjoy this flavorful delight with Mashed potatoes, Fluffy rice, pasta, or sauteed green beans.
The chicken is seasoned with a blend of spices that add depth and complexity to the flavor profile, including onion powder, black pepper, paprika, oregano, and salt. Usually, my dishes are full of strong spices. This lightly seasoned dish with a flavor that will blow your mind.
The creamy garlic sauce is made with fresh chopped garlic, which infuses the dish with a pungent and aromatic flavor. Adding black pepper and salt adds a subtle kick of spice that balances out the sauce's richness.
Whether you're cooking for yourself or a crowd, this dish will surely be a hit and will leave everyone wanting more. You will love my Creamy Lemon Chicken and Creamy Chicken Pasta. If you like creamy chicken dishes,
🥘 INGREDIENTS YOU'LL NEED FOR CREAMY GARLIC CHICKEN
All you need are simple ingredients to make the tastiest creamy garlic chicken you've ever had!
You can scroll down to the recipe card for further details and instructions.
Chicken thighs: You can use skinless chicken breasts for this recipe, use them as a whole or cut them in cubes, but I have used skinless chicken thighs, which come out juicier.
Seasonings: We'll need some onion powder, paprika, black pepper, salt, and oregano. The blend comes together for an amazing flavor profile with a great taste.
Milk and heavy cream: I wanted this dish to be rich, so I have used this combination for flavor and great consistency.
Garlic: Fresh, chopped garlic is what makes this recipe shine. The pungent flavor spreads throughout the sauce and pairs perfectly with the seasonings. Do not use garlic powder; it will not give the same flavor.
🔪 HOW TO MAKE CREAMY GARLIC CHICKEN
Making this creamy garlic chicken recipe is easier than you think! You can make it from scratch in under 30 minutes!
The full instructions are in the recipe card below, but let's look at the main steps to making this tasty chicken meal.
To Make the Chicken:
In a bowl, add the chicken and all the spices, and the salt. Mix everything together and keep it aside.
In a large skillet, melt the butter and then add the oil. When hot, add the chicken. Cook it until the chicken is lightly brown and cooked through. Remove the chicken and keep it aside.
To Make the Sauce:
Add flour and stir in the remaining butter and oil for two minutes over medium-high heat.
Add the garlic and stir on medium heat, careful not to brown the garlic. Now add the milk and cream and keep stirring.
Simmer the sauce until it's thick. Add the salt and black pepper. Stir for one minute.
Add the chicken and cook for another minute. Turn off the heat. The sauce will get thicker as it cools.
Your delicious Creamy Garlic Chicken is ready.
💭 COOKING TIPS FOR CREAMY GARLIC CHICKEN
Use a meat thermometer: If you prefer whole chicken breast, ensure that it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
Don't burn the garlic: Garlic can easily burn if cooked for too long or at high heat. To avoid this, cook the garlic on low or medium-low heat until fragrant, stirring frequently to prevent it from sticking to the pan or burning.
Adjust the sauce consistency: The consistency of the sauce can be adjusted to your liking by adding more or less milk.
📖 DELICIOUS VARIATIONS
Creamy Garlic Chicken is versatile and can be customized to fit your tastes. Here are a few delicious variations you can try:
- Zesty: Add half a teaspoon of lemon juice to the garlic sauce to give it a bright and tangy flavor. This variation is perfect for those who prefer a more citrusy and zesty taste.
- Creamier Add grated parmesan cheese to the garlic sauce to create a rich and cheesy flavor. This variation pairs well with pasta or roasted vegetable broccoli.
- Mushrooms: Add sliced mushrooms to the garlic sauce to give the dish an earthy and savory flavor. This variation is perfect for mushroom lovers and pairs well with rice or quinoa.
- Spinach: When you add the chicken to the sauce, add some baby spinach.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley or basil, or sprinkle with paprika.
- More garlic: If you are a big fan of garlic, you can add half a teaspoon garlic powder to the chicken
💬 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Creamy garlic chicken is a delicious and easy-to-make dish. It is the perfect combination of savory, slightly sweet, and garlicky flavors that will have you wanting more.
Delicious sauce: The sauce is delectable! The garlic in it goes perfectly with the seasonings on the chicken, giving it a great gourmet flavor without overpowering it.
Easy to make: It looks and tastes like a restaurant-quality meal, but you can have it ready in 30 minutes or less with simple ingredients.
Pairs well: It is loaded with protein and mouth-watering gravy. You can serve it with bread, rice, mashed potatoes, steamed vegetables, cauliflower mash, and pasta.
🍲 MORE CHICKEN RECIPES YOU'LL LOVE
🌡️ HOW TO STORE LEFTOVER CREAMY GARLIC CHICKEN
Leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Transfer it to a pot and heat on low until warmed to reheat. You can also microwave it for a minute.
I don't recommend freezing this dish since the dairy in the sauce will cause it to split if it is thawed after freezing.
Creamy Garlic Chicken
FOR THE CHICKEN
- 4 chicken thighs skinless and cut into bite-size
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- Salt to taste. I used around ¾ teaspoon
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon oil. You can use olive oil
FOR THE SAUCE
- 6 chopped garlic cloves
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
TO MAKE THE CHICKEN
- In a bowl, add the chicken and all the spices and salt. Mix and keep aside.
- In a hot pan, add the butter and oil. When hot, add the chicken, and cook until the chicken is lightly brown and cooked through.
- This will take a few minutes. Remove the chicken and keep it aside.
TO MAKE THE SAUCE
- Some oil will be left in the previous pan. Add the flour to it, stirring on medium heat for two minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir on medium heat, careful not to brown the garlic. Now add the milk and heavy cream, and keep on stirring.
- When the sauce is a little thick, add the salt and black pepper. Stir for one minute.
- Add the chicken and stir for another minute. Turn off the heat. The sauce will get thicker when it cools a little.
- Serve hot with rice, mashed potato, or pasta.
- Go for low-fat heavy cream or low-fat milk if you wish to reduce the calories.
- This slightly changes the dish's taste, but you can skip the milk and use 1 cup of chicken broth.
- Add half a teaspoon of garlic powder to the garlic cream sauce if you want this dish to be more garlicky!