Parboiled rice is forgiving; you can not ruin the rice as quickly as you can with regular rice. If you overboil it, unlike regular rice, it will not turn mushy so quickly. I am using this recipe's boil and drain method; it is faster and more convenient.
Long-grain basmati rice is the rice I love to use in cooking. As a food blogger, parboiled rice, if cooked properly, will look great in pictures, which is why I prefer using it.
Parboiled rice has more nutrients than normal basmati rice. Today I am sharing my way of cooking the perfect parboiled rice.
If you undercook it, all you have to do is add hot water and let it cook some more, and it won’t stick together. You’ll love having it with Chicken Adobo.
🥘 INGREDIENTS YOU'LL NEED
You can scroll down to the recipe card for further details and instructions.
Uncooked basmati parboiled rice: There are different types of parboiled rice, make sure you get the basmati long grain.
Olive oil: It adds flavor to the rice and also helps prevent it from sticking to the pan.
Water and salt: The amount of water might be a little more than what you expect, but parboiled rice needs a lot of water to cook in.
🔪 HOW TO MAKE
The process of making perfect parboiled rice is almost the same as cooking the usual basmati rice, but there are fewer chances of messing it up, in a way, it is a forgiving rice.
In boiling water, add the olive oil and salt.
Add the washed and soaked rice to the boiling water. Let it come to a boil, and reduce the heat. Cook for 14 minutes.
Drain the rice and return it to the pan. Cover for 15 minutes and then serve.
💭 COOKING TIPS
- Make sure to buy long-grain basmati parboiled rice.
- Instead of olive oil, you can go for another oil or even butter.
- Do not add the rice until the water comes to a rolling boil, or the rice will turn starchy and sticky.
📖 DELICIOUS VARIATIONS
Add chicken or beef stock: Drop a cube of chicken or beef bouillon for added flavor.
Tomato paste: To color and flavor the rice, add two tablespoons of tomato paste to the boiling water. You can also go for seasoned tomato paste.
Caramelized onion: This parboiled rice will taste awesome when mixed with caramelized onion. If you have fresh caramelized onion, add it to the rice after draining it. If you are using dried onions, add it 2 minutes before draining the rice.
💬 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Parboiled rice (also known as converted rice) is long-grain rice that has been steam-cooked before it is dried. This means that the rice is partially boiled in its inedible outer husk before it’s processed further.
This is an ancient practice from some African countries, dating back thousands of years, as it made removing the husk from the rice easier!
Both white rice and parboiled rice are quite similar, yet different. They’re both extra-long grain rice, but the difference comes from how it is processed.
The processing method for parboiled rice adds a more yellow color and has a stronger taste than regular white rice.
🍲 MORE RICE RECIPES
🌡️ STORING AND REHEATING
Refrigerator: Place the cooked and cooled rice in an airtight plastic container. Refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Freezing: For best storage, spread the rice on a baking sheet and place it in the freezer for an hour to an hour and a half. Break the rice, place it in a freezer-friendly bag, and freeze for up to 3 months.
To thaw frozen rice: Place the rice in the fridge to thaw and then heat it in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Perfect Parboiled Rice
- 1 cup uncooked parboiled rice long grain rice or basmati parboiled rice.
- 1 tablespoon salt, leveled
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 7 ½ cup water
- Wash and rinse the rice until the water is almost clear.
- Soak rice in lukewarm water for at least 20 minutes.
- In a pan, boil the water, add salt and olive oil.
- When the water comes to a rolling boil, add the rice, let it come to a boil again.
- Cook the rice on medium-high heat for 14 minutes.
- Drain the rice. Return the rice to the pan and cover. Keep the rice covered for at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Washing the rice is crucial unless its package says it’s been washed before packing or mentions (washing not required) on the box.
- Make sure the water reached a rolling boil or else the rice will turn sticky and starchy.
- Instead of olive oil, you can add regular oil or unsalted butter.