This Egg Free Chocolate Cake Recipe is going to blow your mind. My family prefers it over any chocolate cake made with eggs. This cake has tender crumbs and stays moist even when refrigerated. Today’s cake recipe is not another typical chewy egg free chocolate cake; this recipe is what you’ve been looking for, and I have included nine helpful tips to make sure you enjoy it as much as we did!
Depression Cake and Crazy Cake are two popular names for this chocolate cake, and all I did is adding a twist to the original recipe to make it more chocolaty and followed all the steps mentioned below to ensure the success of this egg-free chocolate cake.
Through different posts, I’ve noticed people complaining about the cake sticking to the pan, or sinking in the middle, and at times not baked evenly. Baking a cake without eggs is tricky because you leave out a powerful ingredient that contributes to producing a fluffy cake that rises well.
My Nutella Chocolate Cake is Egg free, and I have used Apple (Oh yes I did!) to keep it moist and light in texture but there is no apple here!
How to Make Egg Free Chocolate Cake
This cake is prepared quickly. You don’t have to cream the butter with sugar, beat eggs until fluffy, and double in size, but you have to have all the ingredients ready and on the table before you start, because the mixing process is short and you have to place the cake batter in the oven the moment you finish pouring it in the pan.
- In a bowl sift the flour after measuring it properly, and you do that by spooning the flour in the measuring cup and then sift the flour through a sifter. Then measure the flour again by spooning the flour you sifted back in the measuring cup and then level it by a straight edge knife across the measuring cup. You do this to make sure that you have the correct amount of flour.
- Add the sifted flour in the sifter and add to it the rest of the dry ingredients and sift.
- In a small bowl or a liquid measuring cup add the chocolate chips and the hot water. Cover and keep aside for two minutes for the chocolate chips to melt. Then add the oil and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix gently for just a few seconds and then pour into a baking pan that you have lined with parchment paper.
- Place the cake in a preheated oven of 350F or 180C and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Helpful Tips to Make Moist Egg Free Chocolate Cake
Preheating the oven: Preheat the oven 15 minutes before placing the cake. This way even if your oven doesn’t heat quickly, after 15 minutes it should reach the desired temperature.
Baking pan size: Use 8”x8” baking pan, it can be square or round shaped pan, but this size is perfect to allow the cake to rise better and bake evenly.
Lining the baking pan: You have to line the baking pan with parchment paper, this cake will stick if you grease and dust the baking pan, so please use parchment paper.
Measuring the flour: Always use measuring cups and spoons when baking. Fluff the flour while in the container using a spoon. Spoon the flour in the measuring cup and then level the flour using a straight edge knife to level the flour across the measuring cup.
Sifting the flour: It is important to use the right amount of flour in this egg free chocolate cake, so, after measuring the flour sift it. Then using a spoon, spoon the flour again to the measuring cup and level it. Chances are there will be some extra flour. Measuring the flour then sifting it, then measuring the sifted flour again is essential.
Sifting the dry ingredients: Add the twice measured flour to the sifter and then add the rest of the dry ingredients and sift one last time. Mix the dry ingredients using a whisk.
Using baking cocoa powder: Use a cocoa powder that is used for baking only.
Mixing the batter: When you add the wet ingredients to the dry, mix gently for a few seconds, over-mixing will result in a flat cake.
Baking the egg free cake: After placing the cake in the oven, leave it alone for at least 20 minutes. The cake will not cook before that time, opening the oven door and exposing the cake to cooler air makes it sink in the middle. So, kill the temptation for opening that oven door, please!
How to store the chocolate cake
This cake is moist and is not chewy like some egg free chocolate cakes. You can make it a day ahead and place it in a big airtight container and keep it at room temperature. You can frost it a day ahead and place it in an airtight container and place it in the fridge to serve the next day.
The chocolate cake frosting
I have used the Only Two Ingredients Chocolate Frosting, it is delicious and hardly takes time. You will end up having creamy chocolate frosting with the perfect consistency by whipping the ingredients for three minutes. I have used the same recipe in my post Chocolate Cake with Frosting.
You can use your preferred icing, glaze, or frosting on this cake.
More Chocolate Cake you’ll love
Chocolate Cake Bars with Chocolate Pudding.
Egg Free Chocolate Cake Recipe Plus 9 Helpful Tips
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot water
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoon semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Turn on the oven and wait for 15 minutes before placing the cake inside. Line an 8”x8” square or round pan with parchment paper.
- Fluff the flour while in the container and then spoon it in a measuring cup. Sift the flour and spoon the sifted flour in the measuring cup again to make sure that you are not using extra flour.
- Now, add the twice measured flour and the rest of the dry ingredients (salt, baking soda, sugar, and cocoa powder) in a sifter and sift in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a large measuring cup add the chocolate chips and the hot water, cover for two minutes to allow the chocolate chips to melt.
- Add the oil, white vinegar, and vanilla to the previous mixture and mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and gently whisk until there are no lumps, this will take about 20 minutes or less.
- Pour the batter into the previously prepared baking pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake while in the pan for five minutes, then remove the cake from the pan but not from the parchment paper and place on cooling rack.
- When completely cool frost the cake with your favorite frosting or use this easy, delicious chocolate frosting.
This recipe was adapted from this blog.
Luv yr recipes. pls be kind to post measure of ingredients in metric too.
Highly appreciate. Thank you
Hi Gracy, thanks for stopping by. Please find a printable sheet of different measurements under Printables in the menu above.
Tried this recipe today.Total hit with my family!!! Thank you 🙂
I'm glad that you and your family enjoyed this recipe 🙂
Oh yum, I love chocolate cake. This looks amazing! I will have to try it out!
This recipe looks great and egg free works perfectly for me. I will show this to my daughter who does all the baking for us.
That cake does look moist, especially to be egg-free. I would love to have a piece right now.
OK I am all about a good chocolate cake. I love that it is free from eggs as well, it makes it perfect to make for certain friends and family members.
This recipe looks divine. Looking forward to trying this recipe.
Deliciousness! I love the texture of this cake! It looks like a piece of heaven!
Jennifer Van Haitsma
This looks so so good! I have a massive sweet tooth currently, and chocolate cake is one of my favorite things. Thanks for sharing!
Janeane M Davis
This looks and sounds like a great recipe. I like the addition of all the different fresh fruit items.J
Wow, this is so delicious and I am so excited to make this for the kids and for my siblings. YUM!
This cake is delicious! My family really enjoyed it.
I made a very similar cake a few weeks ago and I was surprised to find it was possible without egg!
It is nice to have some egg-free recipes. I have been craving chocolate cake lately, and this sounds like a good one to try.
I am so trying this recipe! Looks so good and yummy.
Never tried an Egg Free Chocolate Cake before but this recipe looks sooo delicious and mouthwatering! I must have this.
Chocolate cakes are our all time favorite! going to try this one soon
I've always ignored when recipes say to sift, since I don't have a sifter. But your explanation helped me to see why it's important. When I try this recipe, I'll make sure to do it correctly because it looks so delicious!!
I love chocolate and I love fruit, and I especially love them together. This is the perfect dessert for me! I printed it and can't wait to try it!
Wow, this recipe looks DIVINE! I’d love to try giving it a go myself… maybe this weekend when I have family over for my birthday! 🙂
This looks absolutely divine! Super moist, I can't wait to dig in!
This is a great eggless chocolate cake! I love how in baking there are usually alternatives to suit everyone's needs. This recipe is looks super easy and delicious!
The last time I made an egg free cake it didn’t go to plan, but I’m so excited to try this recipe! I hope it turns out as good as yours!
Egg Free Chocolate Cake is such a nice recipe. I hope I can try making it tonight. So good! So yummy!
That chocolate cake looks absolutely delicious! I'm sure the kids would love this.
Rose Ann Sales
Thanks for the recipe..! I woukd definitely try this chocolate cake.
Rose Ann Sales
Thanks for the recipe..! I woukd definitely try this chocolate cake.