What do you do when you have guests coming over all of a sudden and there is no time to make a fancy dessert? You make Chocolate Cake Bars with Chocolate Pudding. Why? Because all the ingredients are mixed together in one bowl and can be served in the baking pan topped with homemade chocolate pudding.
Most chocolate cakes are moist and Chocolate Cake Bars with Chocolate Pudding is not different, in fact, topping it with homemade chocolate pudding makes it melt in your mouth.
The ingredients are basic, the method can’t be easier, and there won’t be a mess in your kitchen since everything is mixed in one bowl. When making the chocolate pudding the same technique of all in one bowl is used too.
To make the pudding, you add all the ingredients in a sauce pan, and just stir over medium heat until thick, that’s it, your chocolate pudding is ready!
Making Chocolate Cake Bars.
Frosting a cake is time-consuming but not in the Chocolate Cake Bars with Chocolate Pudding case. When the cake reaches room temperature, pour the hot chocolate pudding on top, wait for it to cool completely, and then refrigerate, or serve after cutting the cake into bars or squares.
I have used chocolate sprinkles to decorate my cake but you can use white chocolate chips, caramel sauce, or even nuts, the choice is yours.
- *** For the cake:
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon coffee granules
- Pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup oil
- ½ cup hot water
- *** For the pudding:
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 ¾ cup milk
- *** To make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Line a 9×13” pan with parchment paper. Keep aside.
- In a bowl add all the ingredients except the hot water, and whisk well until combined. Do not over mix, stop when the ingredients come together.
- Add the hot water and whisk until combined. Pour the batter into the baking pan and bake for 28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer the cake to a cooling rack.
- *** To make the pudding:
- In a sauce pan, add all the ingredients and mix well. On medium heat, stir until the mixture is thick.
- Pour over the cool cake and let it come to room temperature.
- Cut the cake into squares/bars when it is completely cool.