Coconut cake is one of the most popular cakes, it’s moist, and a simple icing topped with toasted coconut can enhance its flavor. Today I bring you an easy coconut cake recipe that you can have with tea or coffee, and instead of baking it as a loaf, you can layer and frost it with your favorite frosting.
Moist mini cake loaves
This cake is moist and delicious without the icing or frosting. Using sweetened shredded coconut adds to the moist texture of this cake. I used whole milk instead of coconut milk because I didn’t want the flavor of coconut to be too strong, this cake is meant to be light and is an excellent companion to your coffee.
How to make coconut cake moist
To make this easy coconut cake light and stays moist for long, I have added both oil and melted butter but have increased the amount of oil to prevent it from drying. The unsalted melted butter is added to create richness and flavor.
What type of coconut to use
The best type of coconut to use is the sweetened shredded coconut, avoid the flakes and the unsweetened. Unsweetened shredded coconut will make it dry. Coconut chips will not add the flavor you are looking for, and the texture will be crumbly.
Can I use coconut milk instead of milk?
You can add coconut milk to the batter instead of whole milk. But do not use soy milk or almond milk. The fat in the whole milk and coconut milk helps the cake stay moist with tender crumbs.
How to store the coconut cake
Since we have used oil in the batter, you can wrap the cake in plastic wrap and refrigerate up to three days. If the refrigerated cake is not frosted or iced, then you can leave it on the kitchen counter covered until it comes to room temperature, or you can warm the cake in the microwave for few seconds to restore its moisture.
More Cake Recipes:
Easy Coconut Cake with Icing
of the most popular cakes, it’s a moist cake, and a simple icing topped with
toasted coconut can enhance its flavor.
FOR THE CAKE
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup oil
- 2 tablespoon melted unsalted butter
- ¾ cup sugar + 1 tablespoon
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup shredded sweetened coconut
FOR THE ICING AND TOPPING
- ½ cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk you might need more
- ¼ cup toasted shredded coconut
FOR THE CAKE
- Preheat oven to 350F/180Line 4, 4x 2-inch baking loaf pans with parchment paper.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and pinch of salt. Keep aside.
- In a different bowl, add the eggs and vanilla, and beat for three minutes.
- Add the sugar to the eggs and beat for three more minutes.
- Add the oil, butter, and milk to the eggs and beat for one minute.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix gently.
- Add the coconut and fold the batter for few seconds.
- Pour the batter in four mini loaf pans and bake for 26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
FOR THE ICING
- Gradually add the milk to the icing sugar until it reaches the consistency you want.
- Pour the icing over the coconut cake and sprinkle with toasted coconut.
This page may contain affiliate
links, which pay me a small commission
For my referral at no extra cost to you.
Thanks for supporting Munatycooking.com