Baked macaroni and cheese is a comfort and soul food. This homemade baked macaroni and cheese has pleased crowds and found its way to a few picky eaters’ favorite recipe lists. Baked Mac and Cheese is the ultimate side dish for many meals; it pairs well with steak, chicken wings, and Ribs. Let’s learn how to make rich and creamy cheese sauce!
What’s different about this macaroni and cheese recipe?
Nothing crazy different but a little more flavor. I have sautéed a small amount of finely chopped onion in butter until it turned translucent, and then I added the flour, milk, and cheese. Adding onion was a great idea, and it has enhanced the flavor of the macaroni and cheese.
Do you cover mac and cheese while it’s baking?
I do not cover the macaroni and cheese while it’s baking because I like the surface to cook evenly and to have a beautiful golden color. I like to watch the sauce bubbles creating those crispy edges, which I enjoy eating 😊.
Can I add eggs to this macaroni and cheese recipe?
Yes! If you like to add eggs to this recipe, then add the eggs after the cheese has melted in the sauce. Beat the eggs and gradually add it to the sauce while whisking to prevent cooking the eggs and ending up with clumps of cooked eggs. Reduce baking time by 10 minutes.
What type of cheese is best used in baked mac and cheese recipe?
I use cheddar both mild and sharp, I use mozzarella, and gouda at times. While cheddar cheese is a must, you can experiment with other types of cheese that melt well. Using feta cheese is not a good idea if you want silky smooth cheese sauce.
Can we Freeze Mac and Cheese?
That’s a very bad idea! Freezing cooked cheese destroys the texture of the dish. You can refrigerate this baked macaroni and cheese for up to 3 days if it’s stored in an airtight container. You can freeze the mac and cheese if you wish but the taste and texture won’t be the same.
What topping to use in baked mac and cheese?
You can go for bread crumbs, if you want to step up the game, season the bread crumbs with Italian seasoning or the spices you prefer and then spread it over the mac and cheese before baking.
Bacon is a good idea too! Do not cook the bacon thoroughly, chop it, and spread it on the mac and cheese to continue cooking in the oven, but half cook the bacon before adding it to the mac and cheese and not some time ahead for your safety.
Add more cheese! When ten minutes of baking is left, take out the mac and cheese from the oven and spread some more cheese on top.
Wait!! I have more Macaroni and cheese recipes for you to try.
Let’s do this!
Creamy Dreamy Baked Macaroni and Cheese, there is an added flavor to the cheese sauce to make this dish tastes even better!
- 1 ½ cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder
- 3 cups cold whole milk
- 1 ¼ cup mild or sharp cheddar cheese cubes I have used mild
- 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoon chopped onion
- Cook the macaroni as per the package, I let the pasta cook for 12 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C. Grease a 9-inch pan with oil or butter and keep aside.
- In a saucepan, add the butter and when it melts add the onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add the flour and stir for two minutes on medium-low until the raw smell of flour disappears.
- Add the salt and black pepper, stir for few seconds.
- Pour the milk and keep stirring to avoid forming lumps.
- When the sauce is thick, add the mustard and stir for one minute.
- Turn off the heat and add all the cheeses, cover the pan and let it set for two minutes.
- Uncover the pan and stir the sauce. Add in the macaroni and mix and then pour in the baking pan and bake for 20 minutes at 350F/180C.
This page may contain affiliate links, which pay me a small commission
For my referral at no extra cost to you.
Thanks for supporting Munatycooking.com