Beef Stroganoff is tender slices of Beef smothered in creamy and delicious mushroom and onion gravy. A crowd-pleasing quick dinner recipe. Although beef is involved, this beef stroganoff recipe will be on your dinner table within 20 to 30 minutes, and I will tell you how.
How to make Beef Stroganoff?
You have to select the cut of beef you wish to use, I have used ribeye. I know it is expensive, but it tastes incredible with the mushroom and onion gravy.
Cut the beef into thin slices and make sure to pat it dry using a paper towel, it will reduce the cooking time and make searing the meat faster. Most of the flavor comes from the beef, the chicken stock, and fried onion. Therefore, black pepper is the only spice we will use.
When the pan is hot (I mean smoking hot) add the oil and immediately add the beef slices. Distribute the beef in the pan, so all the cuts are exposed to the heat. Now, wait for 40 seconds and then flip the slices. Don’t move the beef for 30 seconds and then stir for one minute and a half.
Remove the beef from the pan and keep aside. Add more oil and butter in the pan, keep the heat on medium and then sauté the onion and when translucent, sauté the mushrooms until light brown.
If you are not using a nonstick pan by now, you might be seeing dark residue at the bottom of the pan. Don’t worry about it, add the flour and cook until the raw smell is gone, and this may take a minute.
Add the water and then the bouillon and allow it to come to a boil. Let the mixture boil for 4 minutes and try to scrape the bottom of the pan using a spatula while stirring to avoid creating any lumps.
I like to temper the sour cream by adding a little of the sauce to it and mix, then add the tempered sour cream to the mushroom and onion sauce and allow it to cook for 2 minutes. The sour cream may curdle a little but the thicker the gravy gets, the smoother it will become. Add the beef and cook for 2 minutes.
The best cut of meat to making beef stroganoff
Although I use Rib Eye, you can go for Flank steak, Tenderloin, and Sirloin. These cuts are significant in making Beef stroganoff and will cook in lesser time without turning chewy and dry.
If you are not fond of beef, then you’ll be happy to know that this recipe works great with chicken breast, but then you have to be extra careful since chicken breast get overcooked quickly.
Beef Stroganoff sauce
There is no alcohol here, I know that many add brandy to their sauce, but we are keeping it alcohol-free. To make this creamy sauce, we will use sour cream, beef or chicken stock, flour, butter, black pepper, and salt; these ingredients are available in almost every kitchen.
The mind-blowing flavor also comes from the sautéed onions and mushrooms. The gravy is so flavorful you can skip the beef and enjoy it as is.
Serving Beef Stroganoff
You can serve the stroganoff with pasta, rice, but my favorite is mashed potatoes.
How to cut the cooking time?
You can further shorten the cooking time, and you can do so by cooking the pasta in the instant pot while making this easy beef stroganoff recipe. It will take you 4 minutes to cook the pasta in the instant pot while making the stroganoff will take around 15 minutes.
Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- 2 medium size ribeye steak
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 10 button mushrooms cut in slices
- 1 chicken bouillon low sodium
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 3 ¼ cup cold water
- In a large hot pan, add 1 tablespoon butter and 2 tablespoon oil. When hot, add the beef.
- Distribute the beef and let it cook for 40 seconds on one side without touching it. Flip the beef and cook on the other side for 30 seconds. Now, stir the beef and cook for one minute to one minute and a half.
- Remove the beef from the pan and keep aside.
- Add the remaining oil and butter to the pan. Add the onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté until the mushrooms are tender, add the garlic and cook for few seconds.
- Add the flour and cook for few seconds to a minute until the raw smell of flour is gone.
- Add the water and chicken bouillon and stir until well combined. When it comes to a boil reduce heat to medium and cook for 3 minutes.
- Pour around the ¼ cup from the sauce to the sour cream and mix quickly. We are tempering the sour cream, so it doesn’t curdle while cooking. Still, if the sour cream curdles after doing this step keep on cooking the sauce until thick and it will turn smooth and silky.
- Add the tempered sour cream to the sauce and let it come to a simmer, then add the black pepper, salt, beef, and cook for one to two minutes.
- Serve immediately with noodles, rice, or mashed potato.