Chicken stew. From the many versions out there on the internet, I am bringing you the Arabian version. Arabian chicken stew is popular in the Arabian Gulf area, it is scrumptious and a hearty dish.
Watching the video attached you will notice that making chicken stew is easy and doesn’t require much time. The blend of spices brings out the unique flavor Arabian dishes are known for.
If you had chicken stew in Kuwait or Bahrain, you would notice that it’s a little on the spicy side. Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates use dry lemon in the chicken stew and add zucchini to it.
Arabian Chicken Stew, is one of the dishes cooked on a regular basis. In the month of Ramadan (Muslims around the world fast in the holy month of Ramadan.), Arabs cook the chicken stew more than often since it’s a part of another dish called (Thareed).
Thareed is a mixture of stew and Arabic thin crispy bread called Reqaq.
This chicken stew recipe is forgiving, and you can add all the vegetables your heart desire. Make sure that you add the vegetables when the chicken almost cooked, so you don’t lose the nutrients in the vegetables.
White rice is the best companion to the chicken stew, but you can have your stew with bread.
How to Make Arabian Chicken Stew
Today’s chicken stew recipe is a combination of Emirati and Saudi version. Chicken stew is one of the dishes that tastes even better after few hours, mainly because the meat has rested and enough time was given for spices to enhance the flavor.
If you love chicken stew, you might like my beef stew recipe.
There is a Jamaican Chicken Stew recipe you will enjoy
And a must try scrumptious Moroccan version
Don’t forget to watch the video below and if you have any questions regarding this recipe, please leave it in the comment box below.
Enjoy your meal 😊
Hearty and healthy chicken stew can be served with rice or bread. Is a popular scrumptious Arabian dish.
- 450 gm skinless chicken thighs
- 450 gm skinless chicken legs
- Or 900gm skinless chicken cut into eight pieces
- 2 large tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 medium zucchini diced
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 large potato diced
- 1 large carrot diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 3/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Salt to taste
- 8 cups boiling water
- In a hot pan, add oil and onion, cook until onion turns light brown.
- Add the chicken and cook on medium heat until you see light brown patches on both sides of chicken.
- Add the potatoes and carrot and stir for three minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, stir for three minutes, then cover the pan and let it cook on medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes. (Do check on it so it doesn't burn since the heat of different stoves varies and my medium heat might be high on your stove.)
- Add the garlic and spices and stir to combine.
- Add the zucchini and tomato paste and stir for two minutes.
- Now is the time to season with salt, then Add the boiling water and let the stew cook for 45 – 50 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
- Add the coriander and stir for three minutes.
- Serve hot.
This page may contain affiliate links, which pay me a small commission
For my referral at no extra cost to you.
Thanks for supporting Munatycooking.com