Eggless Nutella Chocolate Cake

eggless nutella cocholate cakeI have been trying to come up with different eggless cake recipes, since some of my readers are allergic to eggs, or have kids who are.

eggless nutella cocholate cake 4I know how kids enjoy eating cake especially chocolate cake, and when your kid is in a birthday party where everyone can enjoy the cake except him, it can break your and his heart.

eggless nutella cocholate cake 7 Today I’m sharing this amazing Eggless Nutella Chocolate Cake with you, it is very moist and will remind you of the chocolate cake mix sold in a box, but this cake tastes far much better and is good for you since you know what’s in it. eggless nutella cocholate cake 2

This cake was a big hit and everyone enjoyed it, you can never tell that it’s eggless, and the best part is it stays moist even after two days. You can use it as a Birthday cake, or bake it in cupcake liners.

eggless nutella cocholate cake 1 My search for more eggless cakes is still on :)

Eggless Nutella Chocolate Cake

Serves 12. 148 calories per slice.

12 tablespoons sugar

14 tablespoons all purpose flour

6 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 medium apple peeled and chopped

1/2 cup low fat milk

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 cup boiling water

2 tablespoons nutella

– Preheat oven to 180C/350F.

– In a blender, add apple, milk, sugar, vanilla, oil, cocoa powder, and nutella. Blend until smooth keep aside.

– In a separate bowl sift or whisk all the dry ingredients.

– Pour the wet ingredients on the dry and gently stir using a whisk or a spatula. Do not over mix.

– Pour the boiling water in the batter and stir to combine.

– Pour the batter in 8×8 greased and floured baking pan, or you can use parchment paper, which I feel is best for this cake.

– Bake for 30 minutes, then insert a toothpick in the middle, if it comes out clean, your cake is ready.

– This cake should stay in the baking pan to cool, then refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.

– This cake needs the one hour in the fridge for the flavors to come together. Cut into 12 squares.

Note: The lines on the cake created by using Nutella, and is not included in the calorie counted.

55 thoughts on “Eggless Nutella Chocolate Cake

1. Angie (@angiesrecipess)

148cal..is the frosting included?
    I see that you use baking soda for the cake, so I will resume that cocoa powder you used is not Dutch-processed?
    The cake does look very moist and beautiful, Muna.

1. munatycooking

Hi Angie, the frosting (lines made from Nutella) are not included in the calories counted.
      You are right, I’ve used unsweetened cocoa powder.
      Thanks for the complement girl, the cake did turn out very moist and chocolaty, hope you try it :)

1. munatycooking

That’s my bad! I’ve added a step in the baking instruction showing to pour the boiling water after first combining the wet and dry ingredients. Thanks for letting me know, so sweet of you :)

2. Nami | Just One Cookbook

I have limited baking knowledge and I am always interested in finding out how some baked goods don’t need eggs and flours but it turn out so well. It’s a bit mystery to me (for savory food, cooking seems obvious to me). Looks like a wonderful chocolate cake, and nutella? My favorite! Looks so good!!

1. munatycooking

I never bothered to try baking without eggs before, until I started baking for my son’s school and came to know the number of kids who can’t enjoy cakes because they are allergic to eggs! It’s fun and sometimes my attempts fail too, but this time it succeeded.

3. Aisha

Hi,
    My little brother is allergic to egg,nuts,glotin,soya&milk,, and his birthday is soon, do you have any suggests for cake with frosting??

1. munatycooking

There are many frosting that are dairy free, unfortunately I don’t have one on my blog.

4. Winnie

Wow that cake look delicious! I just got into eggless baking myself and I love it! Who would have thought that a cake could be so moist without eggs but it works! Great job on your photos as well:)

1. munatycooking

Thank you :) … I think finding different ingredients to replace eggs in baking is fun, and I look forward to baking more eggless goodies!

1. munatycooking

That is true, but when the eggs are not used, the combination of the ingredients I’ve used including the apple give the cake the texture achieved when using eggs.

1. munatycooking

Hi Bhagya, I’ve never tried to use buttermilk or vinegar as substitute in this recipe, and not sure if using vinegar will make this cake as moist as when using apple. You will not taste the apple in this cake at all if that’s your concern.

5. Divisha

Hi
    For the tablespoon measurements that you have written can I use the plastic spoons measurements to measure the flour sugar cocoa etc

1. munatycooking

I use measuring spoons, it is a set of 1 tablespoon, 1 teaspoon, etc. These spoons can be found as plastic or metal.

1. munatycooking

Hi, You can use any vegetable oil, sunflower, canola, or corn oil, but it shouldn’t be olive oi since the taste will take over.

6. Shreya

Hi,
    I just had a really stupid question but it’s my first time baking an eggless cake and because it’s for a friend I want to get it perfect. How many grams approximately would the apple be. I can only find tiny ones so I thought I’d add accordingly. Again sorry for asking such a stupid question.

1. munatycooking

Hi Shreya, Thanks for stopping by and your question is not stupid! The apple should be around 120 to 140 gm … Let me know how it turned out :)

7. Ritu

Hey, nice looking cake! I want to try it, but one question before that. Can i use applesauce instead of apple? Thanks!

8. Sunaina

I substituted the vegetable oil with virgin coconut oil which added a really nice flavor to the cake. I also reduced the sugar to half and added bananas instead of apple. Overall it turned out to be very moist and delicious. Thanks for such a nice recipe.

1. munatycooking

Hi Sunaina, Thanks for trying my recipe, I’m sure my reader will benefit from your suggestions :)

9. Yean

Hi Muna.. I tried out this eggless nutella chocolate cake and it tasted great. Thank you for such and easy recipe. Maybe you can share more on eggless cooking …

1. munatycooking

Hi Yean, Thanks for your kind comment, I have few more eggless cakes on my blog and more will come soon :)

10. Tally S

I made the cake for a friends birthday! It was delicious and we ate it all in one sitting. I used Nutella and peanut butter as frosting on top, also delicious. Thank you for such a great recipe!

1. munatycooking

Wow! I’m so happy you’ve tried my recipe :) … Nutella and peanut butter frosting sounds delicious!

11. Maram

hi mouna…
    thank you so much for all your recipes it helpseems me when I was in hard time .. because I love to cook a lot special desert every kind .. and some how I don’t know why .. I become over wight .. =( .. but I’m a smart girl then I start to be healthy and eat healthy food and I lost a bout 10 kilos .. and I’m so proud of my self .. but I miss cooking desert .. so I found you ♡ .. and you make my day .. and you inspire me to be healthy and happy and cook what ever I want .. plc except me as a fan and friend .. ♡

love ,
    maram

1. munatycooking

Thanks for stopping by, I hope you like the recipe and I look forward to your feedback. The portion size is the normal size per person but if you like the cake and want to have some more please go ahead 😉

12. Chitra

One the best chocolate cake have ever baked or eaten. Initially I felt baking powder smell was strong but after few hours it was not there and turned super moist. Thank you

13. vinitha

Hey, lovely recipe u got there. I am planning to try this in two days, was wondering why kinda apple did u use? Red or green?

14. Richa

Hi ! This cake looks so goooood !
    Just wanted to ask… will the taste of nutella come through in the cake.. as we are using only 2 tblsp of it??
    Also i wanted to make half the quantity so will 1 tblsp nutella be sufficient?? :)
    Thanks!

Hi Richa,

Nutella will taste light, actually it is used to enhance the taste of chocolate. if you’re making half the recipe then go ahead and use only one tablespoon of Nutella :)

15. Chitra

Best tasting eggless cake ever. Munaty but every time in see dry flour unmixed and few lumps but am careful not to over mix. What’s the solution for a smooth batter?

1. munatycooking

Hi Chitra, I’m happy that you liked my recipe. As for smooth batter, try adding the flour in two steps, and mix gently, but the lumps will cook and you won’t see any in the baked cake. Hope this helped :)