I have a good news and a bad one regarding doughnuts in general. The good news is homemade doughnuts are far more delicious than anything you would buy from outside. The bad news is doughnuts keep its flavour and texture for few hours only. I will teach you more tips and trick in this Mozzarella Filled Sweet Doughnuts post.
How to make Mozzarella Filled Sweet Doughnuts.
Making doughnuts is easy and fun too, as you can see from the title of this post, I have used mozzarella to fill the doughnuts, and you can use your favourite jam, custard, or even mixed nuts.
As any fried pastry, these mozzarella filled sweet doughnuts cannot maintain the flavorful taste for so long, I suggest that you make a batch only when you are sure that it will be gone the same day.
The first thing you have to keep in mind while making the dough is the flour and the amount of moisture it needs, this might sound strange to you but how much water or milk you should use in this dough depends on two things, the first one the type of flour, the second is where you live.
The higher the area you live in the more moisture you will need to use. Having said that, please follow the recipe to achieve a fluffy and delicious doughnuts.
Frying the doughnuts is another crucial step, frying the doughnuts for too long makes it dry and crunchy from the outside. After the second rise, the doughnuts are full of air bubbles, this means that the heat from the oil will penetrate into the doughnuts quickly.
Doughnuts need maximum 40 to 45 seconds on each side to cook. You might be tempted to fry them longer thinking the mozzarella filled sweet doughnuts are not cooked. Fry one doughnuts and then open it to see if it is cooked, you will then know how much time each doughnut need.
Follow me on Instagram, and if you happen to make any of my recipes, please post the picture and mention me in your post, or use this hashtag #munatycooking. I would love to see your creation.
As for my recipe, here you go!
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon active yeast
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg
- The filling:
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- To fry:
- Vegetable oil
- In a bowl, mix the flour with salt and keep aside.
- In a saucepan, add the milk, sugar, and butter. When the butter melts remove from heat.
- When the milk mixture is warm to the touch, add the yeast and leave aside for 5 to 6 minutes.
Beat an egg and add to the milk.
- Gradually add the milk mixture to the flour and knead until the dough is very smooth and elastic, this might take up to 10 minutes with hands.
- Cover and let the dough double in size for an hour to an hour and a half.
- Punch the dough to remove the air.
- Make 20 equal balls from the dough, press the dough between both hands to make it into a desk. Fill with two-teaspoon mozzarella cheese and add a pinch of sugar.
- Close and shape into a ball again, place in a greased pan. Do the same with the rest of the balls.
- Cover and let it rise again for 30 minutes.
- Heat enough oil to reach a third of the pan. When the oil is medium hot, fry one doughnuts for 40 seconds from one side then flip and fry for another 40 seconds.
- Open the doughnut when it cools, and check if done from the inside. Now you will know how much time the doughnuts will take to cook.
- Do not crowd the pan or else the temperature of the oil will drop.
- Roll the doughnuts while hot in fine sugar, you can glaze the doughnuts, or dip it in chocolate sauce.