Today’s dish comes from Africa, some say it is Nigerian, others claim that it is an authentic Ghanaian dish. In my opinion, it does not matter where it came from, the important part is that I have the recipe and I’m going to share this African Black Eyed Peas Rice with you!
Making African Black Eyed Peas Rice.
Long ago and before my introduction to African food and because of some movies that show African people eating weird stuff, I used to frown upon hearing anything about African food. I never gave African dishes a chance, even while traveling I always refused to taste it.
When I started watching Nigerian movies, I saw some delicious-looking dishes and went on researching African cuisine.
African Black Eyed Peas Rice is another side dish that made me fall madly in love with African cuisine. Now, trying out new African recipes to me is like hunting for treasure.
African Black Eyed Peas Rice is great with gravy-based dishes, fried chicken or even steak. You can serve it with fish as well, this rice is the perfect side dish, and it goes well with most of the meals.
Follow me on Instagram, and if you happen to make any of my recipes, please post the picture and mention me in your post, or use this hashtag #munatycooking. I would love to see your creation.
As for my recipe, here you go!
African Black Eyed Peas Rice
- ½ cup canned or pre-cooked black-eyed peas
- 2 ⅓ cup chicken or beef stock
- 1 cup uncooked parboiled long grain rice
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 carrot diced
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon Salt
- 3 tablespoon tomato sauce or paste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- Wash and drain par-boiled rice until water is clear. Soak in water for 30 minutes. Keep aside.
- In a pan add olive oil, when hot add the carrot and onion sauté until onion is translucent.
- Add spices and salt stir for 1 minute on medium heat. Add the tomato sauce stir and then add the stock.
- Cover and let the mixture come to a boil.
- Add the rice and the black-eyed peas, stir and when it boils again cover tightly and reduce heat to the lowest.
- Let it cook for 20 minutes, uncover and stir, cover again and let it cook on low heat for 10 more minutes.
- Serve hot.