This Hot and Sour Soup recipe will give you authentic flavors in the comfort of your own home! It's quick and easy to make, incredibly customizable to fit your taste, and bound to satisfy all your Chinese takeout cravings!
Pretty much every single takeout menu or Chinese buffet in the US has its own version of hot and sour soup. Sometimes it's good, and other times we wish it could be better. This recipe is that classic version I know you recall in your mind as you read this!
It's customizable too; add a little more white pepper for heat, a little more chili garlic sauce for spice, or if you love that sour vinegar flavor this soup is known for you can add in more of that! What's best is that it's so simple to make that you'll be surprised at the ease. Even a beginner can make this soup easily!
🥘 INGREDIENTS YOU'LL NEED
Making this delicious Hot and Sour Soup is incredibly easy, especially since this recipe calls for pantry staple ingredients. Let’s look at the ingredients you’ll need to make it.
You can scroll down to the recipe card for further details and instructions.
White pepper: This is what will give your soup that distinct heat and flavor that hot and sour soup is known for. It really makes the flavors in the soup pop out!
White vinegar: We'll be using some white vinegar to give us the delicious sour flavor in our hot and sour soup. You can add a little more if you like your soup more sour, but if you follow my recipe you'll have the authentic flavor you get with takeouts.
Chili garlic sauce: For that distinct, deliciously spicy flavor, we'll be using some homemade chili garlic sauce which we'll easily make using garlic, white vinegar, and chili flakes!
Egg: We'll also need some beaten egg to pour into our soup mixture while stirring to get the perfect egg ribbons.
🔪 HOW TO MAKE
The full instructions are in the recipe card below, but let's look at the main steps to making this treat.
Mix the cornstarch with water and set it aside. Then in a separate small bowl, mix all the ingredients for chili garlic sauce and then cover it, and place it in the fridge for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to come together.
In a pan, add the chicken stock and sugar as well as the white pepper, white vinegar, chili garlic sauce, and one and a half tablespoons of soy sauce. Let it boil on medium heat for 2 minutes.
Next, add to the soup, the carrot, chopped spring onions, and shredded cooked chicken. Cook on medium heat for two minutes. Then mix in the previously prepared cornstarch slurry gradually while stirring to thicken the soup a little.
Now gradually and gently pour the beaten egg while stirring the soup, and then add another tablespoon of soy sauce and mix the soup. Let it come to a boil for a minute.
Your delicious Hot and Sour Soup is ready to be served. Serve it with some chopped green onions as a garnish.
💭 COOKING TIPS
- Gradually add in the egg while whisking for the perfect egg ribbons to form which will give your soup the right texture and consistency.
- You can add a little more cornstarch slurry if you prefer the soup to have a thicker consistency.
- In case you don't have any white pepper, you can substitute it with black pepper too but it will slightly alter the flavor of the soup. But don't worry, it'll still taste incredible!
📖 DELICIOUS VARIATIONS
Making this delicious hot and sour soup at home is incredibly satisfying since it tastes exactly like what you find in Chinese restaurants! But if you're looking to customize, here are a few ideas you can try:
Spicier: If you want to make your soup spicier, add some more chili garlic sauce! And for extra heat, you can add a little bit more white pepper, but remember it's stronger than regular black pepper is.
Veggies: This is a great soup to add whichever veggies you love most. Some great options include mushrooms, french beans, zucchini, and savoy cabbage.
Vegetarian: For a vegetarian option, you can go for some tofu instead of shredded chicken as well.
💬 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Hot and Sour Soup is a classic Chinese soup that combines both hot and sour flavors. It's made with a variety of ingredients such as shredded chicken, carrots, spring onions, eggs, and spices like white pepper and chili garlic sauce. The combination of these ingredients creates a flavorful broth that is both spicy and tangy. This soup is often served as an appetizer in Chinese restaurants.
Hot and Sour Soup has a unique flavor that is both spicy and tangy. The use of vinegar, white pepper, and chili garlic sauce add that delicious flavor that has become a household favorite in the US!
Yes, Chinese hot and sour soup is a healthy option. It's low in calories and fat, and high in protein and fiber. The use of vegetables like carrots and spring onions, and some shredded chicken add nutrition in each bite. Additionally, the broth is made with chicken stock which adds flavor without adding too many calories or fat. Making it at home also reduces sodium and allows you to use clean ingredients.
🍲 MORE SOUP RECIPES YOU'LL LOVE
🌡️ STORING AND REHEATING
Fridge: You can store any leftovers you may have in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Freezer: I don't recommend freezing this soup since eggs don't freeze well and change their texture which will affect the whole soup. If you really want to make it and freeze it, omit the eggs and add them in after reheating.
Reheat: You can reheat your soup over the stovetop on medium heat while stirring till it's warm all the way through. Add a little chicken broth to adjust for consistency if needed.
Hot and Sour Soup
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 ½ tablespoon soy sauce low sodium
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
- 2 chopped spring onion
- 1 ½ cup shredded cooked chicken
- 1 carrot cut in julienne
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoon water
FOR THE EGG DROP
- 1 egg beaten
FOR QUICK CHILI GARLIC SAUCE
- 2 medium garlic cloves minced
- 1 ½ tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
TO MAKE THE SLURRY
- Mix the cornstarch with water well and keep aside.
TO MAKE THE QUICK CHILI GARLIC SAUCE
- In a small bowl, mix all the ingredients together and then cover and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- The flavors will come together and get stronger, you can then use a tablespoon from this mixture in the recipe.
TO MAKE THE SOUP
- In a pan, add the chicken stock and sugar, then add the white pepper, white vinegar, chili garlic sauce, and one and half tablespoons of soy sauce. Let it boil on medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add to the soup, the carrot, chopped spring onions, and shredded cooked chicken. Cook on medium heat for two minutes.
- Mix the slurry well, then gradually and while stirring add it to the soup, it will thicken the soup a little.
- Gradually and gently, pour the beaten egg while stirring the soup.
- Add a tablespoon of soy sauce at this point and mix the soup, let it come to a boil for a minute.
- Serve the soup and garnish with chopped spring onions.
- It's best to use low-sodium stock and soy sauce in cooking to control the amount of salt.
- You can go for leftover chicken that you already have, or you can boil a chicken breast with some black peppercorns and salt, and bay leaf, and when it is cooked, shred it and use it in this recipe.