You should try these fluffy and chocolaty Chocolate Pancakes. These are nothing like your regular pancakes. Pouring caramel sauce on them, convert these easy-to-make chocolate pancakes into a delightful luxury breakfast. If you are a chocolate lover, you are in for a pleasant surprise.
My blog's other delicious and flavorful breakfast recipes are Sour Cream Pancakes and Buttermilk Fluffy Waffles.
Can you imagine having chocolate cake for breakfast? You probably said no way, but maybe you should think again because these chocolate Pancakes with Caramel Sauce taste just like one!
These are not your usual chocolate pancakes but chocolate fudge cakes in disguise. When I served them to my son, his eyebrows hit the ceiling, and a smile followed. I didn't mind him; I was busy enjoying what was on my plate.
Pouring caramel sauce on top of these fluffy, moist, and chocolaty pancakes made them heavenly and difficult to resist. This is an easy chocolate pancake recipe, so why not make some today?
🥘 INGREDIENTS FOR CHOCOLATE PANCAKES
For fluffy and chocolaty pancakes, you will need pantry staple ingredients. You won't find much difference between this and other pancake batters.
All-purpose flour – To make light pancakes, you must measure the flour accurately, or the pancakes will come out dense. Scoop the flour into the measuring cup and then level it.
Milk – I only use regular whole milk, but you can experiment with coconut milk. Coconut flavor goes well with chocolate.
Sugar – We need sugar since it helps the pancakes stay moist.
Cocoa powder – I used regular unsweetened cocoa powder, but you can try making these chocolate pancakes with Dutch cocoa powder.
Egg – It is important to use the egg to add texture, help the pancakes rise, and have more protein for breakfast.
Butter – I used unsalted butter, but you can use unsalted and omit the salt from the ingredient list or skip the butter and use oil.
Chocolate chips – Semi-sweet chocolate chips are great in this recipe, but you can go for dark chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips.
🔪 HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE PANCAKES
In a microwavable bowl, add the butter and chocolate chips. Melt them and keep them aside.
Sift the flour, salt, baking powder, and cocoa powder into a mixing bowl.
Add the butter and chocolate mixture, with the egg, sugar, and milk, to a large bowl. Whisk until combined.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix gently. Do not mix for more than 8 seconds, and if there are small lumps, ignore them.
Heat a skillet or a pan over medium heat, add a little butter, and let it melt.
Pour ¼ cup of the batter into the skillet. Cook until bubbles surface.
Flip the pancake and cook the other side for a minute.
To serve the pancakes, drizzle it with caramel sauce and serve.
DELICIOUS VARIATIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
Milk – Go for coconut milk or almond milk. You will have success with buttermilk too.
Gluten-free – When using gluten-free, use the exact measurement as all-purpose flour.
More chocolate chips – For more chocolaty pancakes, add two more tablespoons of chocolate chips, do not melt them, but add them to the flour mixture.
Nuts – Some chopped walnuts or pecans will add a crunch and flavor to the pancakes.
Butterscotch chips – Add two tablespoons of butterscotch chips to the flour mixture.
Chocolate Syrup - Pour some chocolate syrup on the warm pancakes before serving.
Fresh berries and strawberries - You can serve these pancakes with fresh fruits to keep the calories low.
Dutch-processed cocoa powder - Instead of regular cocoa powder, you can go for Dutch-processed cocoa powder.
💭 COOKING TIPS
- After adding the flour to the wet ingredients, do not over-mix. If you see small lumps, do not worry. They will disappear after cooking.
- Keep the ingredients at room temperature; it will help the pancakes cook evenly.
- If you have small eggs, use two.
- After cooking the pancakes, keep them covered, or they might turn dry.
- Do not overcook the pancakes; they will turn bitter because of the chocolate.
💬 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Yes, keep the measurement the same as the all-purpose flour.
Of course. These pancakes freeze well and stay for a long time.
You can prepare the batter, cover it and refrigerate it overnight to use it in the morning.
You can serve them with caramel sauce, chocolate sauce, chocolate ganache, or maple syrup, and if you want to indulge even more, go ahead and add a scoop of whipped cream or ice cream to these warm pancakes.
🍲 MORE BREAKFAST IDEAS YOU’LL LOVE
🌡️ STORING HOMEMADE CARAMEL SAUCE
After placing the pancakes in an airtight container or a Ziplock bag, you can refrigerate them. It will keep for 4 days in the fridge. But I prefer to freeze the leftover pancakes. Freezing improves the texture; these chocolate pancakes taste fresh when thawed and reheated.
To thaw frozen pancakes, place them in a Ziplock bag in the fried overnight and reheat them in the microwave for a few seconds. You can also use a toaster oven, place them over a baking sheet, and heat them in the oven.
Easy Chocolate Pancake Recipe With Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons unsalted melted butter
- Add butter and semi-sweet chocolate chips in a microwavable bowl, melt in the microwave, mix, and keep aside.
- Sift flour with salt, baking powder, and cocoa powder in a medium bowl.
- Whisk together the butter, egg, sugar, vanilla, and milk in another bowl.
- Add the flour to the previous mixture and mix gently.
- Heat a skillet or a griddle over medium heat, add a small amount of butter, or spray the skillet with cooking spray.
- Pour ¼ cup of the batter into the middle of the skillet.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface, flip the pancake and cook for 1 minute on the other side.
- Pour caramel sauce on top of the pancake and serve. If you wish, you can add nuts on top.
Nami | Just One Cookbook
Ohhh I'll indulge myself with these chocolate pancakes when I make it on weekends. I need to save it for a special occasion... like maybe valentines day morning? 😀
It is perfect as a valentine day breakfast 🙂
What an awesome flavor combo. Those pancakes look amazing!
Thanks Rosa, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.