Easy Chicken and Dumplings Recipe- A quick and delicious dinner, there is no canned soup here, and all the goodness is made from scratch. Chicken and dumplings, a creamy and flavorful chicken soup topped with buttery, flaky, and perfectly baked homemade biscuits; is a perfect dinner idea. Like all the recipes I share on my blog, this chicken dumplings recipe is easy to follow. Below you will find step-by-step images to guide you in making the best dinner!
Ingredients needed to make chicken and dumplings recipe.
All the ingredients are available in almost every kitchen so, you can make chicken and dumplings this evening. I have used fresh vegetables, but you can use frozen if that’s what’s available for you.
TO MAKE THE CHICKEN SOUP
Chicken thighs and legs. You can also use chicken breast, but I like using the thighs when making chicken and dumplings instead of chicken breast. Make sure to cut the chicken into bite-size pieces. You can also use leftover rotisserie chicken or boiled chicken.
Onion and Garlic. Using these two vegetables is a must and do not substitute with onion and garlic powder.
Carrot, corn, and celery. I feel that this combination of vegetables is amazing. Feel free to add more from your favorite vegetables, but make sure that it won’t get mushy, like zucchini.
Olive oil and Butter. Chicken and dumplings soup has excellent flavor and adding both these fats enhances it and adds richness.
Chicken bouillon. I have used low sodium to control how much salt is there in the soup. However, if you wish to use chicken stock instead, then omit the bouillon and replace the water in the recipe with chicken stock. Do not use vegetable stock; the soup won’t taste as good!
Milk. Use cream if you wish, but I honestly believe that there is no need to add more calories.
All-purpose flour. It is essential to thicken the soup.
Allspice, black pepper, Italian seasoning, ginger powder, and salt.
FOR THE BISCUITS
Baking powder. It will help the biscuits not only rise but have a light texture.
What types of dumplings can we use?
Noodle dumplings. I see a lot of chicken and dumplings recipes using this method. You can make a biscuit dough from scratch or use pre-made biscuit dough. To make the noodles, roll out the dough until thin, then cut into medium size strips. Drop these strips in the boiling soup and cook until fluffy. This is the old-fashioned chicken and dumplings recipe!
Drop dumplings. This is a faster way to make chicken and dumplings. The dough is made of flour, buttermilk, and butter; some add baking powder. The dough, or shall I say batter, should be somewhat on the thick side but can be spooned. You take a spoonful from the batter and drop it in the boiling soup. Its texture is like light and fluffy bread.
Biscuit dumplings. This is my favorite; I love homemade biscuits, so I get my two favorites in one bowl. You will learn how to make this version from the recipe card below but let me tell you that I like to add the biscuits on top of the soup and then bake it because I like the flaky, buttery texture of the biscuits to remain the same!
How to make chicken and dumplings from scratch?
I will start with preparing the soup and then the biscuits. Making the soup won’t take much time, and it’s best to have all the ingredients ready. I would suggest that you read the list of ingredients before making chicken and dumplings.
- Add butter and olive oil to a hot pan, sauté the onion until translucent. Don’t let the onion turn brown.
- Add the chicken and cook until the chicken is no longer pink. If you are using a cooked chicken, then sauté the chicken for two minutes to take the flavor from the onion and both fats.
- Now is the time to add the spices, garlic, and vegetables—Cook for three minutes on medium heat.
- Add the flour and stir for a minute.
- Gradually pour the water while stirring, add the chicken bouillon and keep cooking until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Add the milk and stir for no longer than one minute; otherwise, the milk will curdle. And the chicken and dumplings won’t have that creamy texture.
- Pour the soup into a 9-inch baking pan and begin making the biscuits.
How to make flaky, buttery biscuits from scratch?
- Add all the ingredients except the milk in a mixing bowl.
- Rub the ingredients together till you get wet sand or breadcrumbs-like texture.
- Gradually add the milk and fold the dough. Form 6 balls and press them down lightly.
- Gently place the biscuits over the chicken soup and bake in a preheated oven.
How do you know if the biscuits are ready?
Usually, 18 minutes are enough to bake this size of biscuits, but you can make sure they’re done by inserting a toothpick in the middle of the biscuit, and it should come out clean, and the surface of the biscuit should have a golden color. Make sure not to overbake the chicken and dumplings, or the biscuits will get tough.
Add your favorite vegetables to the chicken and dumplings recipe.
- Green beans.
- Bell pepper.
Tips to make the best chicken and dumplings.
- Instead of milk, add evaporated milk for a more decadent, more flavorful chicken and dumplings.
- When adding raw chicken to the pan, make sure the pan is hot to sear the chicken and prevent it from going dry.
- Omit the water and the chicken bouillon and use chicken stock instead.
- Do not overmix the biscuit dough.
How to store leftover chicken dumplings?
If you place the chicken and dumplings in an airtight container, you can refrigerate it for up to 4 days.
It is best to reheat this soup in the oven, but you can also microwave for 2 minutes.
You can not freeze this soup because it has milk. The taste and texture will be different if you freeze it.
You can freeze the biscuits after shaping them and use them in the recipe. Add the frozen biscuits to the soup and bake. The baking time will increase since the biscuits are frozen, so make sure to increase the amount of liquid in the soup by half a cup because it will stay longer in the oven.
More chicken recipes
Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
FOR THE CHICKEN SOUP
- 2 skinless boneless chicken thighs cut into bite size
- 2 skinless boneless chicken legs cut into bite size
- 2 medium onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 carrots diced
- ⅓ cup corn canned is fine
- 1 celery stick finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- ½ cup milk
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- ¼ teaspoon allspice powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder
- Salt to taste
FOR THE BISCUIT
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoon milk you might need less
MAKING THE CHICKEN SOUP
- In a pan, add butter and olive oil, when hot, add the onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add the chicken and stir until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the spices and stir for one minute. Add the garlic, celery, carrot, corn, and cook for three minutes.
- Add the flour and stir until the raw smell of flour disappears, it might take a minute.
- Pour the water while stirring to avoid forming lumps. Add the chicken bouillon and stir until the mixture come to a boil.
- Let the mixture boil until the chicken is completely cooked. Add the milk and stir for one minute, then turn off the heat.
- Pour the mixture in a baking pan.
MAKING THE BISCUITS
- In a bowl, add all the ingredients except the milk. Rub the mixture together until you get a breadcrumb like texture.
- Add the milk gradually and fold gently. Form 6 equal size balls and press them lightly.
- Place the biscuits on the chicken soup prepared earlier and bake in a preheated oven of 350F/180C until the biscuits are golden or for 18 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
- This post is was originally published in 2018 and is now updated with more text and images.
- How to store chicken and dumplings mentioned in the post.
- Tips to Making this dish in the post.
This page may contain affiliate links.