Chicken and Dumplings is (in my opinion) the quickest version for chicken pot pie. A creamy and flavorful chicken soup topped with buttery, flaky, and perfectly baked biscuits, this is a perfect dinner idea, and just like all the recipes I share on my blog, this chicken dumplings recipe is easy to follow and quick to prepare.
PIN TO MAKE LATER
The chicken and dumplings recipe varies depending on what vegetables available in your kitchen and what spice you are comfortable using. I like Italian seasoning, but you might want to use thyme, or oregano instead. I don’t see how anyone can mess up this recipe!
How to Make Chicken and Dumplings?
I have used chicken thighs and legs, but you can always use chicken breast. To avoid overcooking the chicken breast, instead of adding the chicken to the onion after it’s sautéed, fry the chicken breast first in a hot pan to sear the juices, remove it from the pan and then add the onion and sauté.
If you want to use chicken broth or stock instead of chicken bouillon, then replace the amount of water used with the stock. Always careful when adding salt to dishes that contain chicken bouillon or chicken stock, you might end up with a salty soup that won’t be edible.
What Vegetables to Use in Chicken and Dumplings?
When it comes to vegetables, be creative an add the vegetables you and your family enjoy eating. The flavor in this dish doesn’t come from the vegetables, the flavor comes from the spices and chicken, but I will stay away from using potatoes since it has a lot of starch that can make the soup thicker.
Store Bought Biscuit Dough vs. Homemade Biscuits
For convenience, store-bought biscuit dough can be used, but take it from me; nothing beat the flavor of homemade biscuits.
The biscuit recipe I share in this post will make you forget about ever buying store bought biscuit dough or add it to your chicken and dumplings.
Let’s make dinner!
Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
FOR THE CHICKEN SOUP
- 2 skinless boneless chicken thighs cut into bite size
- 2 skinless boneless chicken legs cut into bite size
- 2 medium onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 carrots diced
- 1/3 cup corn canned is fine
- 1 celery stick finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- ½ cup milk
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- ¼ teaspoon allspice powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder
- Salt to taste
FOR THE BISCUIT
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoon milk you might need less
MAKING THE CHICKEN SOUP
- In a pan, add butter and olive oil, when hot, add the onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add the chicken and stir until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the spices and stir for one minute. Add the garlic, celery, carrot, corn, and cook for three minutes.
- Add the flour and stir until the raw smell of flour disappears, it might take a minute.
- Pour the water while stirring to avoid forming lumps. Add the chicken bouillon and stir until the mixture come to a boil.
- Let the mixture boil until the chicken is completely cooked. Add the milk and stir for one minute, then turn off the heat.
- Pour the mixture in a baking pan.
MAKING THE BISCUITS
- In a bowl, add all the ingredients except the milk. Rub the mixture together until you get a breadcrumb like texture.
- Add the milk gradually and fold gently. Form 6 equal size balls and press them lightly.
- Place the biscuits on the chicken soup prepared earlier and bake in a preheated oven of 350F/180C until the biscuits are golden or for 18 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
This page may contain affiliate links, which pay me a small commission
For my referral at no extra cost to you.
Thanks for supporting Munatycooking.com