If you love Chicken Alfredo, but the calories scare you off, I got you covered. The alfredo sauce we are making today is creamy and flavorful but has no cream! Oh yes, there is no cream here, I have found a way to create the same texture and flavor with a secret ingredient.
My family enjoys this dish, and I do too, but I used to make it twice a month just because it is loaded with calories. I was experimenting in the kitchen and found out that it is easy to lower the calories and maintain a great flavor.
I have asked my sister to try it, and she couldn’t believe it was low in calorie! The secret ingredient worked like a charm in turning the famous alfredo sauce into a guilt-free delight.
Chicken Alfredo Ingredients
To make a delicious chicken alfredo recipe you will need:
Spaghetti (you can use any pasta you like but should be 100 gm/3 oz)
Low-fat milk. Please don’t use soy or almond milk!
One tablespoon of unsalted butter.
Cornstarch (it is the secret ingredient!)
Usually, alfredo sauce has a lot of butter and cream, but in this version and to make you happy, we are going to do some cheating or call it creativity!
In a pan, add the butter and the grilled chicken, Mix the milk with the cornstarch and pour it over. When the mixture comes to a boil, add the parmesan cheese and stir for one minute. The heat should be low because the chicken is cooked.
Add the pasta and stir for another minute and there you have it, a low-calorie version of your favorite chicken alfredo recipe.
What pasta to use for chicken alfredo
I have used spaghetti, and it is better to not use a large size pasta in this recipe, like penne and shell. The thinner and smaller the pasta you use the more alfredo sauce you will get to enjoy.
Using leftover chicken
You can save more time and use leftover chicken. Roasted chicken or boiled can work, but chicken with a lot of different spices will ruin the taste of the recipe.
More Pasta Recipes:
(This post was originally published in 2014. This post is updated with new text.)
- 3 oz. or 100gm dry spaghetti
- 1 1/4 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 100 gm skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup packed Parmesan Cheese grated
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic or onion powder
MAKING THE PASTA
- Cook the spaghetti as per instruction written on the box, or boil for nine minutes. Drain and then rinse with cold water.
GRILLING THE CHICKEN
- Season chicken breast with salt, black pepper, and garlic powder from both sides.
- Add the chicken to a hot grill. If your grill is too hot, you will not need oil and the chicken will not stick to it.
- Cook the chicken breast for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove and cover immediately with another plate or aluminum foil for 3 minutes, this will allow the chicken to cook further from the inside and stay tender.
- Cut the chicken breast into bite size, and keep aside.
MAKING CHICKEN ALFREDO
- In a hot pan, add the butter and the chicken, cook for one minute.
- Mix the milk with cornstarch (This is called faking heavy cream) and pour on top of the chicken. When it comes to a boil add the Parmesan cheese. Stir for one minute then add the spaghetti. Mix well. If you wish you can season with black pepper.
- Cook for one minute and then serve immediately.